+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Amplification equipment for a teacher - any recommendations? in Technical; I'm working with a teacher who is having voice problems and wants to look at the possibility of having a ...
    Thank Post

Amplification equipment for a teacher - any recommendations?

I'm working with a teacher who is having voice problems and wants to look at the possibility of having a voice amplification system in her classroom to save her having to raise her voice. I'm fully in agreement with this as she's got health issues and we need to get the situation sorted for her where possible.

I've worked with Soundfield systems before where 4 speakers are placed around the room to amplify sound to a consistent level for children who are hard of hearing. This is a slightly different situation, as there are no known hearing issues amongst any of the children in school. We need something that will amplify the teachers' voice. I'm considering everything from a portable PA system with a wireless mic to something inbuilt into the classroom at this stage.

Does anyone have any recommendations that they use for equipemnt to help similar situations?

Thanks
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 30th April 2014 at 04:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Is it going to be a solution that is always going to be there or is it temporary?

Sent from my iPad using EduGeek

Thank Post
    Have you looked at reducing any other noise in the classroom - projectors ect, as removing sound from the environment will also help, and it will benefit everyone.

If they are only going to need it for grabbing a noisy classes attention then maybe a whistle might be another different solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    I'm considering everything from a portable PA system with a wireless mic to something inbuilt into the classroom at this stage.
    I had a quick demo from Lightspeed at BETT in January (no, not the same as the filtering appliance people, just the same name):

https://www.lightspeed-tek.com/

They do sound-field speakers, like the ones you've used before. They seemed to work very well from the demo I heard at BETT. If the teacher just wants a PA system for her voice, we bought one of these:

Trojan iPA800 Portable PA System at Studiospares

At £120 it's worth giving a try before you buy anything more expensive, they are very handy devices to have around. For a wireless mic, we are getting on okay with our cheap headset mics:

Chord QU4-N UHF Quad Wireless Neckband DJ Band Vocal Radio Mic System | eBay

We have the four-channel set as above, but they individual recceivers with headset mics are available too.

5. Thanks to dhicks from:

JSchlackman (1st May 2014)

Thank Post
    In the past we have had success with some of these: FrontRow ToGo | FrontRow

But I suspect they are a little on the pricey side.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    We had redcat access ones and whilst they didn't get used that was because no-one really needed them the sound they produce is good.

Ben

Thank Post
    We have a little PA mixer/amp with a pair of hard mounted passive speakers. We then bought an Samson Airline Micro wireless microphone after trying several alternatives. Awesome piece of kit - fully rechargeable so no batteries to change, and ultra portable. Pricey but worth it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I had a quick demo from Lightspeed at BETT in January (no, not the same as the filtering appliance people, just the same name):

https://www.lightspeed-tek.com/

They do sound-field speakers, like the ones you've used before. They seemed to work very well from the demo I heard at BETT. .
    We had a demo unit brought to school after I heard a demo at BETT. They showed me how to set it up and then left it with us for a month. I was really impressed and given the performance, I thought the price was reasonable. However the teacher who most needed it (had recurrent laryngitis and doctor told her that she was fine to be at work as long as she didn't use her voice!) didn't get on with it. The microphone we had was worn like a pendant and she was always uncomfortable wearing it. Definitely worth a call to try and get a demo unit.

Thank Post
    If its just to boost her voice to the same level as other teachers how about something compact like this - H25 - ADASTRA - PORTABLE PA, 25W, NECKBAND VHF | CPC. It should be loud enough for use in classrooms with the advantage of being able to take it anywhere so she is not restricted to the one room (even outside as it can be battery powered). The wireless mic is also headworn so she can still use both hands while teaching.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Something like this?

MarshallStack_Slayer.jpg

Too Much..?

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions - that is really helpful! At this stage I am thinking that it needs to be a solution that can be moved around. If it's something that would work outside when the teacher is doing outdoor learning / PE then that would be even better.

She has a voice issue and needs to avoid any strain on her voice where possible and I agree that finding a solution which she is comfortable with is key. I will go through these recommendations with her (except maybe the stack of amps lol!) and see what she thinks would be good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread