+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Cookery room Advice - Projector/Display - in Technical; Hello everyone. I am after some advice, examples or ideas on how best to get a good solution for a ...

Thank Post

Cookery room Advice - Projector/Display -

Hello everyone.

I am after some advice, examples or ideas on how best to get a good solution for a cookery room. At present we have an Hitachi EDX series projector in the room which is working. However its covered in a good few mm of what amounts to fat, its impossible to clean and I'd hate to think what the innards look like.

So any ideas on how best to solve this problem with busy cookery rooms. The room in question is due for a refit and we would like to better equip it techno wise so the new stuff doesnt end up like the current projector. Would a Modern TV work better as it wouldn't have to be slung to the ceiling. Any ideas or comments appreciated

thanks,
    Lewbob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had this issue, and what we did was rather ingenious.

We housed it in a small box, which had the vents going up to the ceiling and into the extractor for the room. Whenever we needed to change a bulb or whatever, we unscrewed the box from the ceiling and did it and rescrewed it back on. Didn't take much jiggery pokery, and a local DIY firm did it for us (which have since closed up since the economic downturn).

However the box was a PVC box, it had space for all cabling and vents etc, and worked like a charm. Every month or so the box got cleaned as it was caked in fat also, but it saved the projectors life.

*edit*

I will phone the school and see if I can get a picture of it, I doubt it though since its been 4 years since I left!
    Last edited by nephilim; 22nd April 2014 at 03:01 PM.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

lew_bob (22nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Swap for a large LCD...? might be easier to clean our curriculum kitchen was refitted last year and we added a samsung 42" monitor/tv behind a wipe clean perspex screen easier to wireless link to laptops and tablets as samsung have it built in only thing we loose is the iwb functions which no one has missed so far

or go for an LED projector that isn't as reliant on the older type of projector and mount as far away from sources of splattering...

5. Thanks to DocHouse from:

lew_bob (22nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Looking forward to that pic, as we are facing the same problem!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    mount as far away from sources of splattering...
    Splatter doesn't matter (pardon the rhyme). We had the cookers around the far edges of the room, couldn't get any further, but unfortunately as they cook with oil and butter at a high temp, the "steam" that comes off is actually vaporised fat, which when cooled down it will settle on anything, from the surfaces next to the cookers to wherever the fast can get too. Its a PITA as some cooking rooms have around 30 cookers (that I've been in) and that is A LOT of fat in the air.

Thank Post
    Much against my wishes we put Epson projectors & pull down screens in our 3 cookery rooms about 3 or 4 years ago.

The filters need to be cleaned regularly to get the grease out and we have had 1 lamp failure when a techno-pillock let it run too hot too long ignoring the overheat messages, but its not been the disaster I expected.

I give the outer cases a wipe over with a cloth that has a few dabs of meths on it a couple of times a year to shift the grease.

Ive just had to mentally decide these particular units are expendable, we cant afford any fancy mounting boxes or tv screen solutions.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Slightly off topic... It's good to see all this healthy cooking going on in schools, grease, fat. Oil and butter at high temperature...
    Last edited by creese; 22nd April 2014 at 03:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
    Much against my wishes we put Epson projectors & pull down screens in our 3 cookery rooms about 3 or 4 years ago.

The filters need to be cleaned regularly to get the grease out and we have had 1 lamp failure when a techno-pillock let it run too hot too long ignoring the overheat messages, but its not been the disaster I expected.

I give the outer cases a wipe over with a cloth that has a few dabs of meths on it a couple of times a year to shift the grease.

Ive just had to mentally decide these particular units are expendable, we cant afford any fancy mounting boxes or tv screen solutions.

Totally agree with this, we have fitted many projectors in cookery rooms over the years and seen very little issue.

I would recommend trying to avoid using them when actually cooking but in general they seem to cope fine with regular filter/projector cleaning.

I'd suggest using LCD projectors as you have the filter to help catch the grease etc rather then filterless LED projectors which don't.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Went with the same "mount a tv panel" option...the IWB options are not missed much. Tends to be used to display powerpoints or YouTube clips...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread