+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Alternatives to Apple TV? in Technical; A NowTV whilst it has hdmi out won't let you connect a ipad to it to do anything so I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    A NowTV whilst it has hdmi out won't let you connect a ipad to it to do anything so I don't even know why that was suggested at the beginning.

There was rumours of Apple licensing airplay mirroring to 3rd parties a few years ago 2011 I think it was but it doesn't look like anything has come of it which is a shame as it would be a real bonus so the software solutions have got it to work but I don't think they are a match for a hardware apple tv it's just that like all apple products they rely on a an apple centric setup.

Ben

2. Thanks to plexer from:

Sir (16th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Alternatives to Apple TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    None of the devices will do what the OP said he wants, i.e. mirror an iOS device.
    Norphy, so can I really not mirror what is on Ipads onto whiteboard with AppleTV attached to projector? The one I tested seems to do this okay. What am I missing :-/
    Sorry, I worded that very badly. I meant to say that none of the devices from that link that cablers_jonpaul posted will be able to mirror from an iOS device.

4. Thanks to Norphy from:

Sir (19th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    You can't mirror from an iOS device to a Chromecast.
    That's one of Chromecasts advantages. On an iPad, AirPlay Mirroring requires that the tablet remains on constantly while you are mirroring the screen, which means the battery gets drained more and you can't do anything else at the same time as you are mirroring.

With the Chromecast, the content gets sent directly to your TV or projector via the dongle so you are free to do other things on your Android device (including turning it off).

There are only about 10-15 apps from which you can stream from.
    As of today there's 149 Android apps.

It's entirely dependant on having a smartphone or tablet of some description, you can't use it as a standalone device.
    The YouTube, iPlayer and JW Player embedded web players also support Chromecast too. You don't necessarily need an Android device to use a Chromecast.

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

Sir (19th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Was following this thread, because I have a same problem. We're not an apple school, far from it. I asked around and was offered Crestron Air Media, witch would work, with pcs and tablets, android and ios. But is way too expensive (1500 no tax) for what I was looking for.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    That's one of Chromecasts advantages. On an iPad, AirPlay Mirroring requires that the tablet remains on constantly while you are mirroring the screen, which means the battery gets drained more and you can't do anything else at the same time as you are mirroring.

With the Chromecast, the content gets sent directly to your TV or projector via the dongle so you are free to do other things on your Android device (including turning it off).
    Which is great if all you're wanting to do is stream video. However, the OP isn't:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    I just need the teachers and the kids to be able to display their ipads on the board.
    In any case, if an iOS app supports AirPlay properly you can lock the device, close the app and do something else on it if you want to. AirPlay video streaming works in much the same way as the ChromeCast does. See the iPlayer, Plex and Netflix apps. You'd only use mirroring as a last resort to stream video if there isn't proper AirPlay support in there (See ITV Player app).

As of today there's 149 Android apps.
    OK, point taken and conceded but again, the OP is using iOS, not Android. And as of now, there are still only 11 officially supported Google apps:

Chromecast

The YouTube, iPlayer and JW Player embedded web players also support Chromecast too. You don't necessarily need an Android device to use a Chromecast.
    No but you still need something. The Chromecast needs a device to initiate a stream, whether it be an Android, iOS or a desktop computer. The AppleTV can be used to stream from services such as the iTunes Store, YouTube or Netflix without a computer of any description if you so desire.
    Last edited by Norphy; 17th April 2014 at 10:52 AM.

9. Thanks to Norphy from:

Sir (19th April 2014)

Thank Post
    chromecast - be aware though it doesn't accept proxy settings.
    Last edited by 10101010; 23rd April 2014 at 11:44 AM.

11. Thanks to 10101010 from:

Sir (25th April 2014)

Sir

Thank Post
    Okay all. I am trialing reflector and looking into airplay but as staff Wifi and student byod are both on different vlans to the pc wired network, how do you configure bonjour to work around this? I have tried quickly looking for guides. Is this Simples?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, unfortunately not. You need a Bonjour gateway such as the one from Aerohive to make it traverse subnets. The way I worked around it in the end was to stick a PCIe wireless NIC in the computer attached to the whiteboard and join it to the same SSID as the iPads.

14. Thanks to Norphy from:

Sir (7th May 2014)

Thank Post

Im confused by this, because the only time i would want to mirror i want both the iPad screen and the TV/Projector on at the same time. If I'm just watching BBC iPlayer or Netflix on my iPad i Airplay it to the TV then click the home button and carry on using it for something else while it plays the video or i can lock the screen and leave it playing.

16. Thanks to Quackers from:

Sir (7th May 2014)

Sir

Thank Post
    Thanks Norphy,

I'm sure Meraki has something for this actually. I'll look into it; we have a new Meraki WLAN and edge switching here.

Thank Post
    Those of you using Airserver, would any of you be willing to drop me a quick email confirming that the purchase process was smooth and that you've received ongoing support from Airserver when needed? Our Business Manager has concerns about buying from an Icelandic company (not covered by Sale of Goods Act, etc.) so I need some references to support my purchase request. PM me if you can help...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12