+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, How do you do it? Video Editing Suites in Technical; Just a quick post to find out how the fine people of edugeek setup your computers and storage for video ...

Thank Post

How do you do it? Video Editing Suites

Just a quick post to find out how the fine people of edugeek setup your computers and storage for video editing.

A little background.

We have used Adobe Creative Suite in our Media department for a number of years and have setup a NAS where each student has a secure folder for saving projects, capturing footage, scratch disks and media cache etc... This system is not without flaws but it has worked very well for 5+ years. However with the uptake of HD cameras and content, which in theory streamlines the editing process, we are starting to see alot of systems crashing, hanging and generally being very slow when working on video projects over the network.

I have discussed this with the rest of our ICT team and we have a number of ideas, I was just hoping that some of you may have implemented something that we have not thought of. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    We are in the same boat in terms of slowing it down, our documents server is not fast enough really and when we have a photography class on or a media class editing it slows the whole network down. We have VLAN the rooms out but still causing the docs server to slow as thats where they are editing from live. We have purchased some new switches with double the throughput and will be implementing these this weekend. Further to this a LAG to speed the connection between the room and the server room. Also looking at a new server just for media students with 10-15k drives so when they edit it only affects them and should keep the speed up.

We have requested that they compress everything as there is no way they will have a finised clip (about 5-10mins long) at 80GB!!!! I was like that wont even fit on a blu ray and a blu ray movie is 2-3 hours!

Thank Post
    sorry for hijacking this thread but i'm new to this i would like to know how you went about doing this: We have used Adobe Creative Suite in our Media department for a number of years and have setup a NAS where each student has a secure folder for saving projects, capturing footage, scratch disks and media cache etc. I would appreciate you help. We are running rm cc4 with windows 7.

thanks

Thank Post
    A faster NAS may be an answer - what do you currently have? Modern boxes with multi-core CPUs, lots of RAM, teamed NICs and better OSs can really transform network storage - if funds permit.

Thank Post
    @Rapidfire we used the curriculum choice pack to install CS4 onto the CC4 network and we use 64-bit windows 7 CC4 clients for editing.
    As for the nas setup we create folders for each year group and one of my colleagues creates the user folders and their permissions using an excel doc and batch file. Each user folder is locked so that only they and network admins have access.
    Students are then taught that the first thing they do when creating a project is to point all necessary settings at their NAS folders. The structure and security is sound it is the hardware its running on that is letting us down.

@3s-gtech We are running a RM NasBox from ye olde days of 2005 - we are looking into rebuild options and alternatives, but I wanted to get other opinions first.

6. Thanks to brewerd from:

Rapidfire (26th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Set up adobe media encoder on a machine to watch an inbox folder on the NAS, set it to recompress all content as 1080p H264 MP4 at 5Mb/sec video rate, 160kbps audio... Or if it's a QNAP NAS, turn on it's video transcoding. Kids just need to be aware that there'll be a delay so staff should plan lessons accordingly - ie: ensure everyone's footage for next week's lesson is uploaded by end of day to ensure it's compressed and available for editing. Alternatively (better IMO) transfer from camera to local drive and have media encoder running on each machine watching and auto-recompressing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brewerd View Post
    @3s-gtech We are running a RM NasBox from ye olde days of 2005 - we are looking into rebuild options and alternatives, but I wanted to get other opinions first.
    I think that may be your problem now. FreeNAS on a beastier server or a modern NAS will help from my experience - a basline budget of £1000 should get you something very decent either way. You can spend less and get good results, but you'll need to do plenty of research.

Thank Post
    We are using Editshare for storage for our Media Departement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread