+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, TouchScreens / IWB Replacement in Technical; I saw them all recently at this years BETT and the ones I'm buying are the Prometheans! Metal bezel, speakers ...
    Thank Post
    I saw them all recently at this years BETT and the ones I'm buying are the Prometheans!
    Metal bezel, speakers OK, front placed buttons for volume etc, best anti glare coating. And by far and away the best responsiveness. All the others were quite some way behind a quick finger scribble on screen, the Promethean was only ever about half an inch behind.
    By the time you factor in a licence cost for active inspire it makes the screen no more expensive.
    My vote = Promethean ActivePanel 65"

Thank Post
    I have seen the Promethean ActivPanel Touch at the Link2ICT conference this week. Been waiting ages for Promethean to release a touch board and because of the delay in releasing them I was hoping for more from promethean to be honest. Seems like a bit of a "me too" product. Does not bring anything new to the table apart full ActivInspire licence coverage if you've already got ActivInspire trained staff.

It still uses infrared camera to detect touch. It will detect touch 2mm from the board surface. The makes it inferior to Classic ActivBoards for handwriting with a Pen

Comparing it to 2nd Gen LCD CleverTouch boards there is less issue with parallax because there is less airgap between outer class layer and LED panel.

Pro's
    Matt Screen
    Low friction coating on screen
    Slimmer than Clever Touch (79mm vs 111mm)
    Controls on board itself (not totally reliant on remote)
    VESA mount for mini PC
    No significant Parallax Problems

Cons
    Only 1 HDMI input
    Ports on bottom of screen (not side)
    Controls on board are not well labelled

If you are not wedded to Smart or Promethean look into iBoard Touch boards as they have sloped IR reflectors which do not collect dust and debris like the CleverTouch boards (LCD, don't know if they've fixed that in newer LED version). Also has clear on board controls, side mounted ports and also feature a rudimentary touch based OSD controls (source selection is via touch OSD)

Not sure if these boards are fussy about USB extensions. Most boards seem to be to some extent.

Better than CleverTouch
    Not seen the Smart E70 Boards so can't comment
    iBoard better but has no ActivInspire

P.S. what ever screen you get don't run them as full resolution as you will make the icons and text too small to see at the back of the class. Also you will make buttons smaller and harder to touch accurately. Also make use of Windows text size adjustment which will help somewhat. Education city works really well.

P.P.S. Windows 8 modern/metro/new interface obviously works well with touch but why is the "desktop" classic interface exactly the same as windows 7 except for flatter colours. Why not make the buttons bigger and more touch friendly. Also Office 365 is not all that more touch friendly from my limited testing.
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 21st March 2014 at 05:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Also capacitive screens are getting bigger and slightly more affordable
    Multi-Touch Display C4667PW (46") - Shop3M

Thank Post
    Also capacitive screens are getting bigger and slightly more affordable
    Multi-Touch Display C4667PW (46") - Shop3M

Thank Post
    Smart announced today that the E70 is discontinued. New panels on the way. I always thought this panel was a bit of a 'rush job' by Smart, not up to their usual standards. Maybe some bargain prices in the summer, a lot of stock to clear I believe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snagrat View Post
    Had issues with Clevertouch and most disappointing thing was the support. They kept going dark and Clevertouch wouldn't do anything unless we sent pictures. Hard to how on a picture! Also when they did come they were rude!
    Did you get this sorted snagrat?

Thank Post
    I have also been charged with replacing the current IWBs in some of our classrooms. When I was at BETT I visited a stand by a company called (Shanghai) Easi Computer Technology who were showcasing their 'Portable' IWB. Has anyone ever used one of these? Are they any good?

Are Touchscreens replacing IWBs generally, or is it still worth having IWBs in classrooms?
    @Millgate, @VeryPC_Colin_F if you have any recommendations that would be great, thanks
    Last edited by Phildw; 11th June 2014 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Hey Phil,

It depends on the school really. I've still got schools buying Smartboards but the majority are going for the new Epson projectors such as the EB-485WI.

Regarding screens, the best one I have come across is the C-Touch units. Pretty much bullet proof. If you need demos/pricing, let me know

Luke

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If anyone gets any solid information on the Philips 65" touchscreens it'll be interesting, with the price points those are coming in at and stock available in the channel, they look like a real market upsetter. Yet to actually see one though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    Hey Phil,

It depends on the school really. I've still got schools buying Smartboards but the majority are going for the new Epson projectors such as the EB-485WI.

Regarding screens, the best one I have come across is the C-Touch units. Pretty much bullet proof. If you need demos/pricing, let me know

Luke
    Hi Luke, information on this would be good thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12