+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Smartboard Refresh in Technical; So going on from my projector thread earlier. I have spoken to the school and they are now considering doing ...

Thank Post

Smartboard Refresh

So going on from my projector thread earlier.
    I have spoken to the school and they are now considering doing a projector and smartboard refresh, or at least starting it.

Just looking for some guidance, when do you know its time to refresh the smart boards? Is there anything I should be aware of or that may catch me out?
    They are hoping that getting a porjector +smartboard together may bring the price down.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Hi MattDLEA,

I deal with this kind of project all the time - there are many further option snow than a smart board and a projector, many that will save you money.

I have sent you a PM

Speak Soon

Thank Post
    cheers Colin,

Looking forward to the Snow :P

Thank Post
    You have several options... Depends on how attached your staff are to the concept of the interactive whiteboard and to Smart Notebook.

We've suggested interactive flat panels and interactive projectors and the response has been we like what we know, so we have gone down the line of just replacing like for like.

Our primary staff are more receptive, and like the real estate of a conventional whiteboard, and additional interactivity of the hitachi interactive projectors.

So far we have not purchased an interactive display, they haven't got cheap enough to be a better bet.

The issue we've had to address mainly is with licensing Smart Notebook!

Thank Post
    Oaktech, Tell me more about these interactive projectors.

From my understanding if you have a Smartboard somewhere in your establishment then you are able to run smartnotebook

Thank Post
    @MattDLEA - I am going through exactly the same project. We currently have 2 demo Interactive Projectors installed. One smart and one Hitachi. The Hitachi is let down as it is only Pen whereas the smart is both Pen and Touch. The Smart is let down as it is DLP whereas the Hitachi is 3LCD. At the moment you cant use Smart Notes on the Hitachi without a collaboration licence (£500 last time I checked per device per year). The licencing is changing in April but I don't have any details on the new pricing.
    Epson are releasing the EB-595Wi which is their own Pen and Touch Interactive Projector in April/May which is also 3LCD so I am waiting to see this before I make a decision. also seen Genee Spark which imuch cheaper than Smart and does a lot of the same things. Havent played with it yet but will be installing it in the next day or so for a trial.

Thank Post
    Basically, they are UST projectors with an eye and a pen it can track. They have come on in leaps and bounds recently. They can be mounted in a conventional wall mount, or sideways to make an interactive surface.

The ones we have tried are the Epson and Hitachi offerings. There isn't much to choose between them really, but we have plumped for the Hitachi, as we are substantially a Hitachi house, and they take the same lamps as others we have.

LeEdit: Our Hitachi is touch and pen...

Thank Post
    @MattDLEA - I am going through exactly the same project. We currently have 2 demo Interactive Projectors installed. One smart and one Hitachi. The Hitachi is let down as it is only Pen whereas the smart is both Pen and Touch. The Smart is let down as it is DLP whereas the Hitachi is 3LCD. At the moment you cant use Smart Notes on the Hitachi without a collaboration licence (£500 last time I checked per device per year). The licencing is changing in April but I don't have any details on the new pricing.
    Epson are releasing the EB-595Wi which is their own Pen and Touch Interactive Projector in April/May which is also 3LCD so I am waiting to see this before I make a decision. also seen Genee Spark which is much cheaper than Smart and does a lot of the same things. Havent played with it yet but will be installing it in the next day or so for a trial.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    So far we have not purchased an interactive display, they haven't got cheap enough to be a better bet.
    Pretty much this. Interactive touch displays are the future, and even though I've just refreshed a smart board out of necessity (and am really quite pleased with the results), my personal advise to anyone else would be to hold off for a few years if they can and wait for display prices to drop.

With regard to the things that may catch you out, on top of the usual stuff like if there's room for a bigger board, or if the current trunking will be in the way, we found out that new smart boards require a power source, so needed to have a new power socket put in for the board.

10. Thanks to Driftingashore from:

Oaktech (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Basically, they are UST projectors with an eye and a pen it can track. They have come on in leaps and bounds recently. They can be mounted in a conventional wall mount, or sideways to make an interactive surface.

The ones we have tried are the Epson and Hitachi offerings. There isn't much to choose between them really, but we have plumped for the Hitachi, as we are substantially a Hitachi house, and they take the same lamps as others we have.

LeEdit: Our Hitachi is touch and pen...
    Which hitachi projector is this? I'm having a similar project going on here at the moment, after 5 new classroom/meetings room installations and got a choice of CTouch Plasmas, smart 60wi or standard projector/smartboard from a supplier but i'd not seen the Epson and Hitachi projectors before so might go for one of those instead. It's a shame that the install has to be done before April as i've just watched the promo video for the new Epson touch & pen and it looks very smart but if it doesn't come out till april/may that's too late! bummer!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread