+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Streaming Media - Secondary School in Technical; Hi All, I am an IT Technician in a secondary school/college in London, I wanted to get some clarity on ...

Thank Post

Streaming Media - Secondary School

Hi All,

I am an IT Technician in a secondary school/college in London, I wanted to get some clarity on what other schools are using i.e. software/online resource to stream media across the school internally. Primarily this will be films and video resources used for educational purposes in the classroom but we were interested to know what other schools are doing.

We are mainly a windows based network (Windows 7), with approximately just under 1000 PC's with a quarter of these being iMac's that are integrated to the domain.

Thanks All!

Ryan

Thank Post
    We used to use a share that all the staff could get to that had all the videos that teachers would need and that worked fine, now we are starting to use something called planet E-stream which I'm told it is like as a school owned Youtube (not had much to do with this so far as I was the only IT tech that was not allowed to go to the trianing).

Thank Post
    We use Helix Media Server where I work, which is great for small clips but I wouldn't want to do a whole movie, although there are some sites who use it and do. At my last school we used Clickview. HML is good as it plays in any browser so you can stream outside your local network. Think of it as your own youtube. Clickview needs a client on each PC but has loads of features.

Thank Post

Streaming Solution

We are ex clickview users too we got demos of helix and planet esteem. E-stream is cheaper and does more.

Thank Post
    We currently stream our library of approx. 1.5k videos using an on-premise Red5 server; through a WordPress based front-end.

Thank Post
    we use ClickView, its easy to use from both server and client side. good features and now can be used to access clips from home. Might not be the cheapest solution out there, but it is certainly good value in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Try giving Planet Estream a call, probably the most helpful support team I've ever come across.

Thank Post
    youtube education here. We used to use clipbank which is stupidly expensive and looked at Clickview which looked ok but at the end of the day students and staff wanted Youtube.
    Ability to open any video to all students and comments disabled by default all for free. Throw in google apps and they can upload their own videos all day long.

Thank Post
    Hi Ryan
    I am testing out video streaming from Pano. Its used in half the Universities in the UK to stream lectures either live and recorded. As well as video it captures other streams such as the screen , multi cameras and powerpoint and syncs all this together automatically and presents it in a secure browser so that students can browser and revise lessons.

I would be interested in how you feel it would fit in a secondary school would you be interested in taking a look or testing it out?
    Derek

Thank Post
    we use sharepoint 2010s media streaming feature for all our media content including full movies. works flawlessly.

Thank Post
    We use Haivision Videofurnace. It works very well (though not so well for full films) but is very expensive and I'm not sure I'd recommend it for that reason.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread