+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Smartboards in Technical; Hi All We are thinking about what to use instead of smartboards as they seem to be a bit dated ...

Thank Post

Smartboards

Hi All

We are thinking about what to use instead of smartboards as they seem to be a bit dated now and with the licensing changes. We are looking at the Viewsonic touch screen monitors. We have had a look at the google chromecasts but looks to be more suited for home use. What are you guys and gals using in the classroom?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We don't. A very large secondary with a total of 6(ish) interactive whiteboards. We suspect only 2 are used at best.
    Personally I would be extremely wary of replacing any IWB this day and age with the onslaught of tablet and mobile devices which if anything are probably better. As I keep saying though, it's not a one size fits all thing. You could certainly replace an IWB with a tablet and streaming device and still have plenty of change to make you look good to SLT. That could be an Android with Chromecast or other, iPad with AppleTV or other (reflector) or I dare say think a little more outside the box - any one of the windows 8.1 (pro) tablets, Surface Pro 2 perhaps and replace staff laptops whilst you're at it.
    I don't think IWB's will be around much longer.

Thank Post
    We have started putting Interactive TVs in to replace the smart boards, full multi touch, no shadow, no alignment needed and a much higher picture quality. The few we have put in have gone down great, I have a queue of teachers wanting their projectors to "break" so they can get one next.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've pretty much standardised on Epson interactive projectors here. The EB485wi in particular.

We have 4 CleverTouch 65" LCD screens too, but we decided we couldn't justify the cost involved with them.

Thank Post
    I agree is there any good software based reflector? what are you using?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    We have started putting Interactive TVs in to replace the smart boards, full multi touch, no shadow, no alignment needed and a much higher picture quality. The few we have put in have gone down great, I have a queue of teachers wanting their projectors to "break" so they can get one next.
    Do you just plug laptops in or do you use a reflector for tablets and phone?

Thank Post
    Reflector

Edit: The software runs on a PC / Laptop and an app is installed on the iOS device. As long as the two devices are on the same network, you can mirror your iPad screen onto the PC and then display it through the projector. I would guess that they probably need to be on the same VLAN - but at the minute I have a flat network, so can't check that.

One other alternative I've just thought of is to install projectors with wi-fi capability. I haven't had the chance to test yet, but the latest Hitachi projectors I've bought have that capability and you should be able to broadcast straight from any wireless device to the screen.

Hope that's more friendly and helpful than my first attempt...
    Last edited by jmak; 30th January 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    @Arcath Which are you buying at what sizes and roughly how much do they work out at?

This is the path I want to go but either the costs are too high or the sizes too low!

Thank Post
    Honestly, I tend to agree, *but* a smart board with a mirroring app (we use AirServer for our iPads) allows for some pretty awesome stuff. The teacher isn't locked to the smart board or a computer, and can roam the room displaying/controlling their content with the tablet, but (for example) if playing a video, they can still use the smart interactive pens to draw over the top, highlight etc. It offers a pretty diverse set of tools when you think about it. Obviously the tool integration can be done in software with touch TVs, but there's not a lot easier than picking up a coloured pen and drawing that colour.

Obviously the projector/board setup is far from perfect, and once devices like the Smart e70 become cheaper, it'll be no contest, but right now I'd rather hold out for a while and wait for the tech to mature a bit than blow the budget. In a year or two, I think we'll start seeing some pretty awesome stuff. Larger screens and better tools. Just my opinion though.

Thank Post
    All the signs are there for the end of IWBs. But we don't have a "teacher freindly" solution yet. I can see a tablet connected to a 60" TV or a generic projector doing most of what is done on a IWB. The advantages being that not only can you hand the tablet to anyone in the class but you don't have to stand in front of the thing you are trying to show. You can have all the interactive features you like without getting out of yor chair. This is important for some of my clients with special needs where you have to have height adjustable IWB to accomodate wheel chair access. Or in primary, even when the board is mounted very low the kids can't reach more than half way up and the teacher has to bend down to reach the bottom.

Thank Post
    @dastrix they have a built in PC that slides out the side. We have been told that the PC will be upgradable over time but the screens also have HDMI & VGA ins and a USB out for the touch layer so an external machine is fine. The built in PC also has a VGA out for a second screen.
    @TechMonkey We use the iboard touch which comes in either 55", 65" and 75".

From a cost stand point they are more expensive than a Board+Projector+Install but over the life time once you factor in bulbs every 2 years and a new projector every 4 they become considerably cheaper.

Thank Post
    has anyone got any experience of mirroring or reflecting with android devices??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dastrix View Post
    has anyone got any experience of mirroring or reflecting with android devices??
    Only using a Samsung TV and Samsung tablet at home. This was over Air Cast and worked really well. We play the BT Sport App on the tablet and then mirror it on to the TV. Can be a bit temperamental getting it to start but rock solid after that.

Thank Post
    Hi dastrixs,

I have sent you a PM regarding this.

Col F

Thank Post
    license changes?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast