+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Smartboard SB660 in Technical; Hi guys, Got a Smartboard SB660 with a very peculiar problem and wondered if anyone had come accross something similar. ...
  1. #1
    gob
    gob is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    18
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Smartboard SB660

    Hi guys,

    Got a Smartboard SB660 with a very peculiar problem and wondered if anyone had come accross something similar. Basically the whole board is pretty much always mis-aligned and orienting the board doesn't seem to help.

    The left side will be off about an inch one direction, the right another, corners and other points will be off too. I have included pictures of by attempts to trace a grid to help clarify - please see attached.

    Unfortunately board is out of warranty. I've tried upgrading software/firmware, resetting controller, loosening screws, taking board of wall, visibly inspected for dents etc, re imaged machine/tried a different machine but the outcome is always the same.

    Anyone experienced anything similar to this before?

    Kind Regards,

    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gob; 19th December 2013 at 03:17 AM.

  2. #2
    bodminman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,153
    Thank Post
    724
    Thanked 224 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    I had a similar issue a few months back.

    After removing all the Smart software from the machine and then doing a fresh install the problem went away.

    Really annoying though!

  3. #3
    Vasriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    111
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    When you do an orientation on the smartboard, how many points are you using?

  4. #4
    bodminman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,153
    Thank Post
    724
    Thanked 224 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasriel View Post
    When you do an orientation on the smartboard, how many points are you using?
    When I was orientating the board I was using the 'fine' setting. Can't remember how many points that is.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex
    Posts
    871
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 74 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Check to make sure the board isn't being twisted by the mountings on the wall - behind the pen tray there are two brackets which should be screwed back to the wall. If the wall isn't perfect and these are too tight back they can twist the board across its surface which causes a similar effect.

    The 'step' in the lines part way up could also be caused by interference from cables running behind the board.

    I've seen similar effects from both of these causes. Unfortunately, I have also seen very much the same from a damaged board, when the membrane starts to come apart inside. This can sometimes be fixed for varying amounts of time by rubbing the surface of board firmly around the edges of the frame (with the board disconnected, and taking care not to scratch it). This can help to get the parts of the membrane back together, although this may or may not last.

  6. #6
    gob
    gob is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    18
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi guys,

    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    I had a similar issue a few months back.

    After removing all the Smart software from the machine and then doing a fresh install the problem went away.

    Really annoying though!
    Ahh - unfortunately I've had no luck there, tried upgrading software, re imaging pc, and even a different machine altogether.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasriel View Post
    When you do an orientation on the smartboard, how many points are you using?
    I have tried the highest one, which i think is a 20 point calibration off the top of my head

    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Check to make sure the board isn't being twisted by the mountings on the wall - behind the pen tray there are two brackets which should be screwed back to the wall. If the wall isn't perfect and these are too tight back they can twist the board across its surface which causes a similar effect.

    The 'step' in the lines part way up could also be caused by interference from cables running behind the board.

    I've seen similar effects from both of these causes. Unfortunately, I have also seen very much the same from a damaged board, when the membrane starts to come apart inside. This can sometimes be fixed for varying amounts of time by rubbing the surface of board firmly around the edges of the frame (with the board disconnected, and taking care not to scratch it). This can help to get the parts of the membrane back together, although this may or may not last.
    I have tried removing the board from the wall and then calibrating whilst it is free standing etc but still same results when I start to draw on it so most likely not related to wire interference or twisting from wall brackets.

    I may try the membrane suggestion, saw the mentioned somewhere else too.

    Thanks for the suggestions guys

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Said up
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Sounds like the PCB has had it, you can easily replace these yourself, approx £100 unless the board is still within warranty period (3yrs).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [FREE] 2x Smartboards, 1x SB580, 1x SB660 - Local pick up from mid Cornwall
    By PrimaryTech in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th January 2013, 10:27 AM
  2. Smartboard SB660 Plastic wall mount strip wanted
    By bertster in forum AV and Multimedia Related
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th August 2012, 10:22 PM
  3. Smartboard Supplier
    By Vegas in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 29th April 2006, 03:19 PM
  4. Smartboard Airliner
    By alan-d in forum Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th March 2006, 11:32 AM
  5. MSI Install of Smartboard software.............found this.!
    By tosca925 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22nd January 2006, 11:12 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •