+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Iris Connect - Discovery Kit. in Technical; Hi All, Well, I've just been handed this big blue carrying case - with the classic words 'we've just bought ...
    Thank Post

Iris Connect - Discovery Kit.

Hi All,

Well, I've just been handed this big blue carrying case - with the classic words 'we've just bought this, can you sort it all out...'

Before I open it and start playing, I'd appreciate any advice so I can hopefully get a nice straightforward and hopefully trouble free set-up.

Kol.

Thank Post
    Iris connect discovery kit is the ipod driven package from Iris. It uses one or two ipods to record teacher observations and upload them to the secure iris connect website.

Setup should be fairly straightforward. You'll need to create accounts for the teachers on the Iris website and there is a guide on there as to how to setup and record an observation.

We have one of the Live View Advanced cameras and it is pretty easy to manage.

Thank Post
    I was fine until you said 'ipod' lol!

Kol.

Thank Post
    I know, I haven't personally used the ipod version as someone here just bought the full blown camera and sent it our way to setup.

Thank Post
    We've got both the large IRIS camera and the Discovery kit. Expensive pieces of kit if you don't use them a lot. They are relatively simple to use once setup, the IRIS support team are pretty helpful and will give you plenty of guidance to get setup etc.

Thank Post
    Like @Sylv3r we have both the bigger camera and the discovery kit. Fairly easy to set up but if you do have any issue contact the iris support team. They are dead helpful and will make sure that you resolve the issue.

Thank Post
    We got handed the camera first - the coffee pot camera i like to call it. At first i was very anti it and thought whats the point but then realised it wasnt going to go away so had to make it work. We have all our licenses taken up with accounts (25) and found that only about 10 people have used it at least once. After a few trails with the hardware we finally came up with a way to sort the recordings out. We have a laptop which the teacher uses with the camera, which means
    1. they dont have to use their own teacher machine so there are no worries about closing the browser
    2. they can forget about the recording and concentrate on their lesson
    3. we can upload the lesson at a later date if the camera is used 3 times a day
    4. videos are saved to the laptop rather than to their user areas which means videos dont clog up the network
    5. we run a homeplug/powerline kit in rooms so the camera can be placed at the furthest point from the teacher which means the camera gets the whole class
    6. support is pretty good

There are some draw backs though..
    1. the camera is heavy and bulky
    2. teachers cannot set it up them selves, we need to do it
    3. it looks like a drip on wheels when on the stand

We are have a long term loan of the discovery kit which again works well, the newer version of the software on the ipod is better too. The swivl though is just a tripod with an electric motor linked to the ipod. It works well but you have to be careful with the medallion as whiteboards give it problems as do humans. The Discovery kit is more for the teacher to observe themselves where as the coffee pot camera can be used for both self observation and remote observation. We have had to test all our rooms with the homeplug adapters and the camera/laptop to make sure it works as some rooms are wired up differently so the picture is very slow and jerky.

They say the videos are encrypted once they have been recorded, well they arent.. all you need to do is to install VLC and it manages to play them without any problems. An hours lesson is about 500 - 600 Mb. You can get to the videos on the ipod too if you are cleaver before they are uploaded to iris connect.

What filtering are you using? I know i was the guinea pig for them regarding smoothwall and there are certain things that need to be whitelisted so connections work.

@howartp also has the kit, maybe he could say how he is getting on with it too?
    Last edited by timbo343; 12th December 2013 at 10:47 PM.

8. Thanks to timbo343 from:

Koldov (13th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Many thanks for this.

It's the Discovery 'ipod' version so I hope most of the first part of your post doesn't apply!

However, I've never touched an ipod in my life, so it's going to be a learning curve one way or the other. I'm hoping they can link up and send the video through the wireless (?), ours is fairly robust so I'm hoping no worries there.

Filtering is external through the LEA via E2BN, who I have to say have never been overly restrictive.

Kol.

Thank Post
    We got handed the same kit before the half term... thankfully it's only on lone to us!

For the dual camera recording to function, it needs to be setup on a wireless connection that lets it see other devices.
    Launch the iris connect on both ipods so that it has the split screen with the right hand side asking you to record or create a new account.
    On one of them, login to your account, select dual camera and it should then go off and pair with the other unit and both will change to the video screen.
    Hit record either on the screen or via the remote microphone and away you go.

At the end, stop the recording and then on each ipod select to either delete or upload and then wait for it to process.
    We found than a full 1 hour recording could take upto 2 hours to upload to the site as it was nearly 5gb of footage per device.

11. Thanks to Boredguy from:

Koldov (13th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Dont be scared of it, there is nothing to worry about it. Join to the wireless, make sure you can run the tests, this is called Iris Network on the home screens of the ipod. As long as the ipod can reach google.com, twitter.com, EU irisconnect, DL Iris COnnect, S3.amazonaws.com you should be ok. If i were you, i would give the Ipod a static IP and if things get complicated with regards to filtering, you know what IP address to whitelist.

Thank Post
    Erm... Iris...

Hate it, hate it, hate it. And so does my most technically-competent teacher, despite being on their offsite training/demo course and the onsite handover training.

We've got both Coffee Pot and Discovery.

I think he prefers Discovery as it seems to work better - wifi up to their server, no problem.

The coffee pot is currently wired, reserved DHCP IP address in every VLAN, proxy exceptions for every reserved IP address, stores video on a mapped drive that everyone can access (until it's uploaded). I've bought a wifi Ethernet bridge to strap to the coffee pot stand ('drip' as someone called it above) in the hope this will reduce the potential for issues down to one IP address on one VLAN.

We spent how much on it ?????

Peter

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread