+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, UF70 Smartboard projector in Technical; Has anyone started to mess around with the UF70 projector? we have UF55 & UF65 through out the district and ...
    Thank Post

Question UF70 Smartboard projector

Has anyone started to mess around with the UF70 projector? we have UF55 & UF65 through out the district and now we are hearing that if we want to by new projectors that the UF70 is the only one we can get! its completely diffrent from the 65 & 55. Just seeing if the boom is still compatible. We have almost 600 boards deployed

Thank Post
    Well the UF70 is ultra-short-throw and the UF55 / UF65 are only short-throw. So the boom arm would need to be replaced IMO.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info! Now we need to find out if they want to replace all the booms !!! fun fun

Thank Post
    The boom arm is supplied with the UF70. The fixing holes at the wall end of the boom arm are in exactly the same position as the middle three fixings that your UF55 and UF65 projectors used. As long as the original projectors were fitted in the correct position (experience in the UK is that this isn't always the case) then swapping them for UF70s should be straightforward.

UF70s are a big improvement over the UF55and UF65.

Thank Post
    Would the old control panel still be compatible?

When you say correct position do you mean central? or height away from board too?

Thank Post
    The control panel from the UF65 that attaches to the bottom bezel of the 600-series board should work okay. All the control codes and cabling at the projector end is the same on both models.

I haven't tried using a control panel from a UF55 with a UF70 so the best I can say is that it might work. The control codes for the UF55 are also the same as the UF70, but cabling at the projector end is different. It all depends on whether or not the UF70 is wired-up internally to supply the additional power that the UF55 control panel needs through the projector's serial port.

Both the height that the projector bracket is above the board and how central it is are important. In an ideal install the upper fixing screws for the projector bracket should be 43.5cm above the fixing screws for the board mounting rails, but you can usually get the image lined-up okay if it's a little higher or lower. The UF70 projector bracket allows a small amount of lateral movement if your original projector was off-centre, but if the image from the UF55/65 was square on the board you shouldn't need to use this.

Thank Post
    Would it work with the UF45 projector mounts? We have been offered UF70 projectors for our school and i need to know if the mounts are similar.

Thank Post
    Here in the U.S. I am having the same situation. I have two UF55 projectors loosing pixels... No projector replacements from Smarttech. In the U.K (RA Technology) you can get brackets that fit both the mirror and non-mirror types and use a standard wide angle projector. You can get a highly discounted replacement (until Sept. 2014) for $829 (U.S) from Smarttech with a serial number for a UF55 / 65, but not the older models for some reason.
    These are extremely different and will require different setups. The long boom arm is gone. These UF70 (similar to the UF75) is suppose to take the same cable you currently have to turn on/off and change inputs. The UF70 uses a curved mirror and very short throw system. The problem is these need to be perfectly aligned with the board. I have two UF 75's in my school that that were installed by an outside company, so I can check how that bracket works. The old UF45 / 55 and 65 could be adjusted slightly in/out if the projector to board distance did not match up exactly. Our older UF45 (with mirrors) were put with with double 3/4" plywood to bring it out from the wall to get close to a vertical match with the brackets that held the Smartboard away from the blackboard. At the time no one had made brackets. Our newer UF55 have a metal mount 3" from the wall.
    The new replacement UF70 need to be very close to vertical as the light it projected mostly down by the curved mirror. They sell a Chief-WBAP bracket that is 5.6" from the wall and a different bracket to go over a blackboard. If the smartboard and projector are mounted directly on a flat wall, you would not have a problem. The blackboard presents the alignment problem. So somehow I have to get 2.5" more added to my current 3" metal bracket.
    I'm thinking some strips of wood and screws that go thought the metal bracket.
    I am getting five UF70's and when they arrive and start to set them up I will respond and provide photos on my web site.
    I hope Smattech changes their mind and allows UF45 serial number to be used for these discounted replacements.
    Last edited by MButkus; 31st March 2014 at 05:05 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread