+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Newbie to Xibo in Technical; I have just installed Xibo on a windows machine and everything setup fine without any problems. I have managed to ...
    Thank Post

Newbie to Xibo

I have just installed Xibo on a windows machine and everything setup fine without any problems. I have managed to get a screen to display but i am having trouble with PPT and PPS files. It keeps saying Do you want to save this file, or fine a program online to open it.

How do i get these files working?

And how do i change the max size of files from 2 to say 50mb?
    Last edited by timbo343; 25th October 2013 at 08:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Do you have PowerPoint installed? As far as I know Xibo plays PowerPoint files by using Internet Explorer, so if you get a message dialogue it is actually from IE. What version of IE do you have? What happens if you try to open a PowerPoint file in IE directly?

Thank Post
    Take a look at the bottom of the page installing Xibo Client where it gives you windows modifications to make for running the client.

Thank Post
    The max file size is probably to do with your Php settings. Are you running on xampp?

Here are some instructions for changing the settings in php.
    http://www.radinks.com/upload/config.php

There is also a library size limit that can be changed in the xibo database, which I think limits the overall size if the library rather than individual files.

Thank Post
    There is a very good hotfix, as @penfold mentioned on the Installing Xibo page

Thank Post
    There is a very good hotfix, as @penfold mentioned on the Installing Xibo page for fixing this issue, but once its resolved - Xibo is just so awesome!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I will hasten to add that if you can avoid Powerpoint, do. It's cack, especially for this purpose and even with the fixes it can be ropey. We convert to video, 2 click process and smoother (and will make it easier when all the clients are Linux based soon)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I will hasten to add that if you can avoid Powerpoint, do. It's cack, especially for this purpose and even with the fixes it can be ropey. We convert to video, 2 click process and smoother (and will make it easier when all the clients are Linux based soon)

I was going to say the same thing - use video for everything, its just easier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdolan View Post
    Do you have PowerPoint installed? As far as I know Xibo plays PowerPoint files by using Internet Explorer, so if you get a message dialogue it is actually from IE. What version of IE do you have? What happens if you try to open a PowerPoint file in IE directly?
    Oh balls! Blonde moment...

Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    There is a very good hotfix, as @penfold mentioned on the Installing Xibo page for fixing this issue, but once its resolved - Xibo is just so awesome!
    Will have a look at this hotfix. I need to see if the girls in reception will be happy to update the displays this way. At the moment we only have a machine feeding 2 displays at the moment which is showing powerpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I have started to convert to video now after a little bit of testing.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdolan View Post
    The max file size is probably to do with your Php settings. Are you running on xampp?

Here are some instructions for changing the settings in php.
    PHP File Upload Configuration

There is also a library size limit that can be changed in the xibo database, which I think limits the overall size if the library rather than individual files.
    Will have a look at the php settings.

Thank Post
    How about repeating a video? Hows that done?

Thank Post
    If you set the duration of the video to it's length when you add it to the timeline then it will loop for as long as the layout is playing (the length of the longest item i think)

Thank Post
    @timbo343 while I would agree with the others if you can avoid powerpoint do. But be aware that I spent a few weeks collating and converting the existing content which was all done via powerpoint and showed people how to use it. Sadly to say that I keep seeing either multiple layouts with single images or they still use powerpoint. I've given up trying to show people how to use the system properly now and let them get on with it.

I also showed staff how to use the priority option which overrides all other layouts. Unfortunately staff think this is a good idea to use for everything so we often get 1 display showing a single image for a couple of days. This was really good for me when I got a call to fix a screen that was flickering but was actually due to the fact they had set a single image of 1 sec as the priority layout which looped every second causing the impression of a faulty connection. Looking back I would tell them not to use that because it causes more problems than it helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread