+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Wireless VGA/HDMI in Technical; Does anyone use or can recommend a wireless VGA or HDMI sender? We need to setup a computer on an ...

Thank Post

Wireless VGA/HDMI

Does anyone use or can recommend a wireless VGA or HDMI sender?

We need to setup a computer on an island in the middle of a room and connect it to a 60" TV on the wall but we don't want to run cables along the floor. The output on the computer is only VGA, however I understand a lot of these senders actually use USB out of the computer and as the TV has both VGA and HDMI sockets it doesn't matter if the sender receiver is VGA or HDMI. We do however require audio to be sent aswell.

Thank Post
    Intel WiDi or http://www.netgear.com/landing/stream/tv/#push2tv

Windows 7/8 has the "Play To" option, and staff regularly use this to send to the Samsung WiFi Smart TVs we have hanging everywhere all connected to the LAN.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The play to feature is good, I use it at home all the time and it uses the DLNA standard, the W7 implementation is way better, they messed it horribly in 8 even though it looks the same on the surface.

Thank Post
    This may be worth looking at http://avior.iogear.com/product/GWAV8200K/

I actually have one somewhere... It used to be sold by Q-Waves and was sold in Costco and other places for about 90 now looks like they have been acquired by ATEN
    It uses similar DisplayLink drivers to the ones my Samsung USB screen does.

There is a USB dongle plugs into the PC and the adapter obviously to the TV, uses 5Ghz however driving it with anything less than 4Gb of RAM and dedicated video card made it stutter when streaming full 1080p with Audio.

As always you get what you pay for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    If your TV doesn't already include DLNA support, then the next best thing would be an adapter that uses the MiraCast wireless display standard like the Netgear PTV3000.

To send audio/video to the TV you could use Windows 8.1 (released next month), various Android devices (Google Nexus 4, 7 v2, 10, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 etc. etc.).

Nexus 4: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwvYrv2s9Kk&hd=1
    Galaxy S4: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZKpg3o-dk&hd=1
    Galaxy S3: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkh2xbeA-qk&hd=1

Thank Post
    Would it not be easier just to install a powerpole to the desk?

Buy Cable Trunking Mita power pole for trunking RS PP28 online from RS for next day delivery.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Educare_AV View Post
    Would it not be easier just to install a powerpole to the desk?

Buy Cable Trunking Mita power pole for trunking RS PP28 online from RS for next day delivery.
    At 307.97 for one I think cutting a groove in the floor and covering it again will be less money!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    At 307.97 for one I think cutting a groove in the floor and covering it again will be less money!
    That was just an example much cheaper versions are available.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions however I am going to try an alternative option.

The Intel WiDi option looks interesting however it doesn't seem to be available as an adapter for use in an existing desktop at the moment only in new laptops which we don't want to use.

The power pole isn't viable as the only place it could go would restrict the view of the TV.

The USB to VGA option, like the iogear option mentioned, sounds like it could be a viable option however it takes up some CPU/memory usage which I don't think we can spare with our current desktops. Plus I have read of people having connection issues with this type of device when people walk in front of it due to it needing a line of site.

The option I am going to try is a VGA to HDMI convertor which is then connected to an HDMI wireless sender, this has the advantage of not taking up any computer resources and has a slightly longer non line of site wireless link which should be more stable. In theory these should work together, I will let you know how well when they arrive and I have set everything up.

Thank Post
    What about VGA/HDMI via LAN?

Thank Post
    I'd avoid WiDi personally, I've found it to be an awesome pile of junk. You need so many pieces of software, codes and confirmations, and compliant hardware on both sides of the connection. Not cheap either.

Thank Post
    I'm looking to provide somewhat similar solution. Administrator is wanting to mount 3 tvs within different locations in a building, a couple fairly far from the third tv, and broadcast the Digital signage i'm setting up. Since he wants the same on all TVs, i would like to do this with one single pc driving all three displays at once instead looking at the possibility of 3 seperate pcs. Unless i'm missing it, it looks like Miracast or the WiDi will not provide this multi-display functionality. Has anyone utilized any vga-over-ethernet solutions or even a vga to coax converter box they could recommend?

Thank Post
    Why not use a solution that runs on 3 separate Android media boxes. You will still be better off after taking all 3 than having one PC solution (in our experience anyway).

Thank Post
    We have 90 TVs all connected using a VGA over CAT5 Matrix switchers and receivers. It works. That's about it.

There is one PC in a cabinet with a TV Card and some software the VGA output goes into a VGA switching unit which in turn uplinks to other switches.
    Each switch/repeater drives around 8 large format TV's and the switches cascade off each other.

Considering how basic it is its been pretty reliable so I cant knock it from that point. One serious gotcha though, All the TVs MUST support the same VGA resolution!

Whatever the source resolution is, has to be compatible with every TV in the Matrix so if your thinking of building something like that make sure that the panel support the resolution needed. I cant remember what brand ours is but Kramer and Startech all do something similar. https://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-1565-kr...ver-tp-pc.aspx

Thank Post
    90 (nine zero???). Wow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast