+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, USB problems with a BENQ Touchscreen Display TL550 in Technical; This thing is driving me mad... The USB cable (for the interaction) is moulded into the back of the display ...
    Thank Post

USB problems with a BENQ Touchscreen Display TL550

This thing is driving me mad...

The USB cable (for the interaction) is moulded into the back of the display and isn't particulary very long and not long enough to reach the desired PC. Every sort of USB extension I put on it seems to cause problems and it can be very intermittant so I never know if I've fixed it. If I put a standard USB ext on it, the display seems to reset the mouse to a lower middle position on the display every 30 seconds or so if you are using the mouse on the PC. If I put an active USB ext on it, the interaction is fine but it causes flickering on the screen. I've tried a laptop (as a test) on an usb extension and I get the same result. On one occasion I thought i'd fixed it. I moved the USB cable from the back of the PC to one of the front ports and it started behaving. I then moved it back and forth and it was switching between working and not working. I left it at that, problem solved, but now a month on and it's back to not working again either on the front or the back USB ports. I have been in contact with support but they are not giving me the impression they know what is wrong either. It does seem like power running through the usb is the issue, whether it is too little or too much I don't know. I have another display (same model) on another site, where I went through a similar procedure, but that is now working (on a standard usb ext) for some reason and I don't want to upset it at the moment.

Anyone have any experience with these or have any ideas I haven't tried?

Thank Post
    I've been through what you've been through. Had screen flickering and curser shuffling until I replaced a USB extender, thought it fixed both at first, but the curser issue remained. Even replaced the entire PC at one point. That wasn't it. We then just gave up and just disconnected the USB. The T650 doesn't seem to have any problem.

BenQ realy need to sort this out and issue a firmware upgrade or something.

3. Thanks to exim from:

Zourous (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that info exim

I'm stilll in contact with support and their next bit of advice is to use a self powered usb hub or usb to cat5 extender. This to me sounds messy and I don't see why we should have to purchase something so specific. IWB's have never needed these unless they were over a long distance, so what is the difference? We haven't got any of these solutions to hand so I'm going to bring a powered hub from home to test it out.

Thank Post
    Hi Exim,

I've had a bit more success with a gold plated belkin USB extension cable. There is a definite difference between this cable and a standard usb extension. The only niggle I've found is that the pointer will stop dead in its tracks about once every 30 seconds if you keep you finger in continuous contact with the touchscreen whilst doing S shaped motions. This solution just needs to survive the test of time now, and with the summer coming up no-one will be using it, so I will have to check it come September time.

I'm in continuous contact with Benq support at the moment so I'm pushing for a better solution if they can come up with something. I'll post here if I hear anymore

Thank Post
    Thanks for the update. If I get the time, I might pull out a cat5 extender currently in use for something else just to see how it fairs temporarily. Will let you know of any results.

Thank Post
    They checked our bios version (0.33) and said this was not current, so they are coming out to our site to update it to version (1.00). Apparantly they have to do this update and we can't, so maybe this is why they try every other option and test first before coming out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank Post
    How can you check the Bios version? And do you have a contact number / method that gets you somebody useful?
    May need to check this out.

Thank Post
    You can check the bios option using the TV remote, choose the spanner icon and then choose advanced. I contacted benq support as our screen is under a 3 year warranty. You might want to see if my update to v1.00 makes it any better before going further, but up to you.

Thank Post
    Ok, I've reached the end with this particular problem out of my own choice. The best solution is to use a good quailty gold plated (i'm using a belkin one) usb extension and that will give you the best connection. I've been jumping through hoops with benq support and wasted a lot of life to get to this point. They finally admit themselves, there isn't currently a better solution on this particular model after we upgraded the bios and swapped units over. You also have some luck with a usb to cat extender, but I haven't tried one of these.

Thank Post
    So the particular gold plated USB extender resolves the issue completely and the bios makes no difference?
    Is it the Ex-Pro Metal Pro 24K Gold USB series?

thanks.

Thank Post
    Correct, the bios makes no difference. The support guy said that I'll have to move the PC nearer the display and use the 1.8m coming out of the TV. I said I didn't want to, so this is the only solution. I can't tell you the specifics of the USB extender, just that it is gold plated and made by Belkin and around 2m in additional length. I found it lying around.

Thank Post
    Query: If the USB cable has been snapped by a little rascal, how can it be replaced?

The fact it's moulded into the side panel is leaving me confused as to how it's replaceable.. or am I just being dumb?

Thank Post
    I don't think they can be replaced. This was our worry when these units turned up.

Thank Post
    Bugger, thought as much here's hoping it's covered on the warranty! harhar.

Cheers anyway Z

Thank Post
    "Dear Sir,
    We understand that you had a problem using our Interactive Flat panel, precisely the model TL550, which have an USB cable moulded in to the back off the unit.

Regarding your present problem, we want to advise you to use an active USB extended cable from Lindy to extend the built-in USB cable. You can find the product at this link:
    5m USB 2.0 Slimline Active Extension Cable | LINDY UK
    The cable has been tested and worked flawlessly with BenQ Interactive Flat Panels.
    If you have a set up where you used faceplates, we strongly suggest you to contact your trusted installer.
    It is important to know the type, quality and length of the cable that runs between the two faceplates to avoid any possible loss of signal.

We hope we have been able to provide you an acceptable and useful explanation, but we would like to invite you to contact our technical support if you need any more information or assistance. We will be more than happy to help you."

17. Thanks to BenQ-IT-Support from:

Zourous (11th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast