+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, USB problems with a BENQ Touchscreen Display TL550 in Technical; Be aware I brought one of the cables mentioned in the previous post and can confirm it doesn't work and ...
    Thank Post
    Be aware I brought one of the cables mentioned in the previous post and can confirm it doesn't work and still causes issues with the cursor jumping around. We have no faceplates in the equation, just the cable mentioned running straight from the TL550 to the laptop. This is the 3rd TL550 we have and all three have the same problem. With the other 2 I used gold plated (2m) usb extensions from belkin, but on this one I need a distance close to 5 metres. Any type of 5m active usb I've used (now tried 3 different ones) either works and cause inferrence on the screen or does the usual jumply cursor.

Thank Post
    Just an update in case anyone stumbles across the same situation.

This is in relation to our TL550 that has the teachers desk around 5 meters away. We needed to use a active USB because of the distance, some active USB's didn't work and caused a jumpy cursor. One that did work was a Sanberg version. The mouse pointer is fine, but you then get interferrence on the screen if you are using it in conjunction with a normal VGA cable. Support advised that the VGA cable was not well shielded enough, but I brought a double shielded VGA cable with ferrit cores at both ends and the results were the same. We've had to reluctently move to using a HDMI cable instead as a sensible solution can't be found.

Thank Post
    Do you have a link to that Sanburg product? We have a screen with issues, however a cable length of 10 to 15m is needed.

Thank Post
    Look on the ebuyer site for sanberg active usb 5m. You should be able to buy a couple and link them together.

Thank Post
    You would need to use hdmi with it though to stop the interferrence.

Thank Post
    Thanks. Luckily a HDMI cable was installed. Will need a dvi to hdmi adaptor though due to no hdmi on the PC.

I hear BenQ's new touchscreen range is out next month, apparently with improvements to the connectivity and screen glare. The s*** speakers could be better too.
    They'd be great screens if they actually worked. Don't know if I can trust them again at this stage though.
    Last edited by exim; 11th November 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Thank Post
    @Zourous what you suggested works. Thanks again for that. There are visual artefacts that no one but me would notice, but I think it's the PC refresh rate and something to do with using dvi to hdmi causing that - will tweak when I get a chance.

Do you use the bundled Smart Notebook? I still don't know if the smart software is supposed to see the screen as a compatible device as it's connection wizard can't detect it. Are you supposed to just ignore that?
    I can't seem to mimic the act of picking up a smartboard pen and annotating anything on screen the way you would with a smartboard - either you can't or I'm missing some setting.
    Last edited by exim; 29th November 2013 at 09:35 AM.

Thank Post
    The interferrence is probably coming from the active usb. Try unplugging the usb for a second and see if it goes. We also found that there is also interferrence noise on the audio cable as well (again caused because we have to use the active usb). We are using the HDMI for video and sound so this cuts out that problem as the interferrence isn't affecting this interface.

Yes we use the Smart Notebook, and also had the same problem. What you can do is launch notebook, go to the view menu and choose transparent background. It kind of gives you something similar. It looks like the normal ink layer you use on the smartboard is integrated into the smart driver which of course you can't use.

Also found for us that we couldn't use the active usb in conjunction with a faceplate, so we have the TL550's usb tail cable connected to one 5m active usb going straight to the laptop. With this set-up the touch facility is perfect.

Thank Post
    Yes, we've bypassed the faceplate too.
    The dodgy picture via HDMI must have been due to the PC graphics card, once I downgraded to 720p resolution it was fine.

Thank Post
    Just an update to say if you have any Benq T650's you can now get in touch with Benq support and they can send you new firmware and flash program so you can enable the freeze function. You will also need a PC with a serial port on it and a female to female serial cable. Once complete, you can freeze and unfreeze the screen by pressing the up arrow followed by a 0. We had 3 T650's and can confirm this worked on all of them although instructions can be a little tricky to follow as it looks like they are translated from Chinese.

Has anyone else suceeded with any anti-glare treatment with any model of Benq? Benq claim any such product may mess with the interaction and invalidate the warranty, but if anyone else has tried it....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have installed dozen upon dozens of these screens and i can say for sure that you will not be able to use a USB longer than 4 meters and it has to be top quality. Their is not enough power from the USB touch module for more than this.

We only use Lindy Cromo USB cables. A active USB extender will not work and you will notice pulsing on the screens image, unless you want to spend lots of money on one (150+). This can also be an issue on the RP range that BenQ have.

Firmware updates and whatever else which was suggested never worked for us.

Despite this they are still a great screen and cheaper than many alternatives but you get what you pay for. We have just finished some testing on the Smart E70 where we had 5 USB cables joined together as an extension and it didn't miss a beat. PM me if you want to know more.
    Last edited by Cablers_JonPaul; 16th April 2014 at 05:28 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12