+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 65
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Free sugar mice for your opinions in Technical; Originally Posted by Simcfc73 Just tried sending a request for more info on the website and I am getting a ...
  1. #16

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Just tried sending a request for more info on the website and I am getting a sql error when i submit.
    Aha - we've just done a small update to the website which is probably the cause of this - I'll have the webdevs get on this and fix the issue. In the meantime, please send your enquiry to info@very-pc.co.uk

    Thanks very much for letting us know about this.

    Al

  2. #17
    VeryPC_Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    52
    Thank Post
    36
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Do you mean the slightly balding chap in middle with his arm on his hip?
    Hey that's me !

    Yes it is a little thrusting and a bit disco.....

    To late now . Doh !

  3. #18


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,650
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 780 Times in 607 Posts
    Rep Power
    224
    In Firefox's PDF preview, I get misaligned grey blocks on your front-page surrounding the VeryPC and the lower text block (PCs etc).

    Front Page: Bottom left and right guys on front photo "explain again why you've dragged me into the carpark?" expressions.
    I shall ignore the partial groin-thrust in the centre

    Page 02.
    Andrew Hopton's headshot is whited-out on his right side and he appears to be squinting from the sun.
    Double-tabbed gap between Sheffield and the postcode looks odd.

    Page 04
    Mobile Computing
    "Apple iPad and Android tablets also available in many sizes" is a weak statement. Say more about what you offer / what you've deployed. Expertise in integration & securing? Device management? Preventing data loss?

    Servers
    "Core server for common services such as ADD". AD or Active Directory or DC or LDAP, Shirley?

    Page 08

    The supercomputer quote is a bit weak. It doesn't say "and VeryPC did an awesome job of it". It's more of a "yeah, we needed a supercomputer, so we....er...bought one". Have you got a case study for that? It's a cool project and you should write more about it.

    Your copy does state the obvious a bit at times, but that might be a side-effect of aiming at a non-technical audience.

  4. 2 Thanks to pete:

    VeryPC (5th July 2013), VeryPC_Andy (5th July 2013)

  5. #19

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    Can you do a Freddo instead of a mouse?
    Sugar mice this time.

    Freddo may enter the fray during a future giveaway.

    I love a good Freddo my self too.

    Al

  6. #20

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    Probably just me, but I find that headline blue font oddly aggressive.
    Not sure how to respond to this - it seems like a fairly benign typeface to me.

    I assume you mean the "Page Missing" header on the 401 you were getting earlier.

    Al

  7. #21

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Like the general layout etc, only thing I think is really missing especially seeing it's what I thought you guys were "mainly" about, is more details on your own custom products. Would have liked to see a few pages on the Broadleaf etc ranges, (or anything that's unique to you).

    Steve
    Thanks Steve, that's useful to hear.

    We'll be considering all the feedback we get and will make the changes we think are necessary, or possibly create some more specific product or service documents to cover things like this in detail.

    Cheers,

    Al

  8. #22

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    A few comments from me, not sure if everyone will agree here, but here you go @VeryPC

    1. White writing on a light colours sky...not good for the colour blind or those that have difficulty seeing such things. Add a black outline, white writing becomes visible on any colour with a black outline on it. I myself can't make out the words between tablets and projectors.
    2. Some pages you have gone whitespace/greenspace/whitespace and others whitespace/bluespace/whitespace. stick to one colour scheme throughout the document.
    3. Testimonials - ask if they are willing to have their numbers published so others can call to verify them
    4. Almost every page also has a large gap at the top, why not add in customer comments in those gaps based on what the page is about?



    Thats me done - otherwise it is a very nice document.
    Cheers for the feedback Neph

    In order:
    1. Agreed - we used a faint drop shadow to help with this, but I think we need to make it a bit darker for legibility.
    2. See this astute comment for an explanation of that:
      Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
      The blue green blue thing is because I think they are highlighting the envrionmentally friendlyness of Very - that seems to be the only green bit, the rest is corporate blue
    3. Not a bad idea - we'll consider that.
    4. I don't want the pages to become too crowded, so try to preserve a bit of whitespace here and there to let the content breathe


    Appreciate the comments - we'll be reviewing and seeing what updates we want to make after that.

    Al

    P.S. Don't forget to claim your free sugar mouse:
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    How to claim: When you have posted a comment about our company profile document in this thread, PM me a link to your comment and include your delivery address for us to send your free sugar mouse to.
    Last edited by VeryPC; 5th July 2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: CLAIM YOUR FREEBIE!

  9. #23

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    Linky working now for me..

    Looks pretty slick and well presented. Covers everything that you offer in a non salesy way so a good job I think.

    Apart from the guy in the tie and shirt on the cover who seems to be thrusting his pelvic region?
    Thanks a lot,

    I think that Andy is demonstrating the thrust of his dynamic management style (or something).

    I actually think he looks great in the pic - really up for it (and i'm not just saying that because he's the MD)

    Al

    P.S. Don't forget to claim your free sugar mouse:
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    How to claim: When you have posted a comment about our company profile document in this thread, PM me a link to your comment and include your delivery address for us to send your free sugar mouse to.
    Last edited by VeryPC; 5th July 2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: CLAIM YOUR FREEBIE!

  10. #24

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    The blue green blue thing is because I think they are highlighting the envrionmentally friendlyness of Very - that seems to be the only green bit, the rest is corporate blue
    Nail. Hammer. Head.

    You got it.

    Al

  11. #25

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    In Firefox's PDF preview, I get misaligned grey blocks on your front-page surrounding the VeryPC and the lower text block (PCs etc).

    Front Page: Bottom left and right guys on front photo "explain again why you've dragged me into the carpark?" expressions.
    I shall ignore the partial groin-thrust in the centre

    Page 02.
    Andrew Hopton's headshot is whited-out on his right side and he appears to be squinting from the sun.
    Double-tabbed gap between Sheffield and the postcode looks odd.

    Page 04
    Mobile Computing
    "Apple iPad and Android tablets also available in many sizes" is a weak statement. Say more about what you offer / what you've deployed. Expertise in integration & securing? Device management? Preventing data loss?

    Servers
    "Core server for common services such as ADD". AD or Active Directory or DC or LDAP, Shirley?

    Page 08

    The supercomputer quote is a bit weak. It doesn't say "and VeryPC did an awesome job of it". It's more of a "yeah, we needed a supercomputer, so we....er...bought one". Have you got a case study for that? It's a cool project and you should write more about it.

    Your copy does state the obvious a bit at times, but that might be a side-effect of aiming at a non-technical audience.
    Thanks for the feedback Pete

    Some good points there - we'll take everyone's comments on board and consider making some updates soon.

    Cheers,

    Al

    P.S. Don't forget to claim your free sugar mouse:
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    How to claim: When you have posted a comment about our company profile document in this thread, PM me a link to your comment and include your delivery address for us to send your free sugar mouse to.
    Last edited by VeryPC; 5th July 2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: CLAIM YOUR FREEBIE!

  12. #26

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,080
    Thank Post
    1,637
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    440
    Al, for point 1, I think the drop shadow may not make much of a difference. Being dyslexic it is difficult enough to decypher many words, I think a clear outline would make it easier to read (but hey, thats just me!)

    As for point 2, noted, didn't think about that
    As for point 3, if not telephone numbers, then addresses may be helpful. There are many schools that have the same names, so difficult to know which ones.
    As for point 4, I don't think it would be cluttered if you added one or 2 lines for a testimonial, give it a shot, if it is rubbish, dont run with it

  13. #27

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,817
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    I don't like the trees reflections in the monitors!!

    Also not sure if others have mentioned but you can't really see workstations/servers over the clouds in the backgrounds on the main page.

    And for me the Made in Sheffield I don't like but thats becuase of that horrible plus net advert about being good honest broadband from yorkshire!!

  14. Thanks to glennda from:

    VeryPC (8th July 2013)

  15. #28
    FishCustard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Croydon
    Posts
    425
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    I'm just writing down my thoughts as I read through, please do ask if anything doesn't make sense. Also, apologies if I'm being overly picky but what with being a (kind-of) writer/proofreader the pedantry flows naturally!

    P2 - Mission statement
    This could just be my overactive pedantry gland, but the narrative mode doesn't seem to match up: "We aim to provide our customers (3rd person) with the best value and service you (2nd person) have ever experienced from any supplier".

    P3 - header quote
    The header quote "We want your experience..." is almost identical to the mission statement used on the previous page. Do they need to be so close together?

    P3 - sustainability section
    "Our Broadleaf range of desktop PCs exemplify these principles" -> "Our Broadleaf range of desktop PCs exemplifies these principles" or "Our Broadleaf desktop PCs exemplify these principles"
    (I'd pick option 2)

    P4 - Mobile computing
    "
    With similar customisation freedom as our desktops" ->"With similar customisation freedom to our desktops"

    P5 - Projectors
    That projector in the image... is it supposed to be so close to the wall? I've seen ultra-short-throw units, but that one appears to be about 4" from the wall... is it going to work? (I could be talking rubbish and it'll work perfectly, in which case, I will whack myself with a cluebat).

    There are also various places where the line breaks don't appear to be necessary. As text doesn't seem to be justified as a rule you could push the word onto the next line and avoid the anno-
    ying line break.
    (e.g. P6, 'Standard Warranty', para. 1)

    From a content point of view, more info on what you actually offer in your various ranges would be nice - I'm a geek, I want to see the shiny hardware and dream up the kind of spec I can buy when the school wins the magic lottery and I have an unlimited budget!

    On a slightly unrelated note, your option to have the PCs delivered pre-loaded with your OS image is very cool - while imaging a suite shouldn't take long with a sensible set up, no time spent is still better than some time spent!

    >net stop pedantryclient

    System error 1337 has occurred.

    Critical services may not be stopped.


  16. 2 Thanks to FishCustard:

    VeryPC (8th July 2013), VeryPC_Colin_M (9th July 2013)

  17. #29

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I don't like the trees reflections in the monitors!!

    Also not sure if others have mentioned but you can't really see workstations/servers over the clouds in the backgrounds on the main page.

    And for me the Made in Sheffield I don't like but thats becuase of that horrible plus net advert about being good honest broadband from yorkshire!!
    Thank you glennda,

    Others did mention the legibility issue with the text on the front page - we'll have to do something about that.

    We'll be reviewing all the comments and making appropriate changes when we've decided what is necessary.

    Al

    P.S. Don't forget to claim your free sugar mouse:
    Originally Posted by VeryPC
    How to claim: When you have posted a comment about our company profile document in this thread, PM me a link to your comment and include your delivery address for us to send your free sugar mouse to.

  18. #30

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,050
    Thank Post
    1,128
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by FishCustard View Post
    I'm just writing down my thoughts as I read through, please do ask if anything doesn't make sense. Also, apologies if I'm being overly picky but what with being a (kind-of) writer/proofreader the pedantry flows naturally!

    P2 - Mission statement
    This could just be my overactive pedantry gland, but the narrative mode doesn't seem to match up: "We aim to provide our customers (3rd person) with the best value and service you (2nd person) have ever experienced from any supplier".

    P3 - header quote
    The header quote "We want your experience..." is almost identical to the mission statement used on the previous page. Do they need to be so close together?

    P3 - sustainability section
    "Our Broadleaf range of desktop PCs exemplify these principles" -> "Our Broadleaf range of desktop PCs exemplifies these principles" or "Our Broadleaf desktop PCs exemplify these principles"
    (I'd pick option 2)

    P4 - Mobile computing
    "
    With similar customisation freedom as our desktops" ->"With similar customisation freedom to our desktops"

    P5 - Projectors
    That projector in the image... is it supposed to be so close to the wall? I've seen ultra-short-throw units, but that one appears to be about 4" from the wall... is it going to work? (I could be talking rubbish and it'll work perfectly, in which case, I will whack myself with a cluebat).

    There are also various places where the line breaks don't appear to be necessary. As text doesn't seem to be justified as a rule you could push the word onto the next line and avoid the anno-
    ying line break.
    (e.g. P6, 'Standard Warranty', para. 1)

    From a content point of view, more info on what you actually offer in your various ranges would be nice - I'm a geek, I want to see the shiny hardware and dream up the kind of spec I can buy when the school wins the magic lottery and I have an unlimited budget!

    On a slightly unrelated note, your option to have the PCs delivered pre-loaded with your OS image is very cool - while imaging a suite shouldn't take long with a sensible set up, no time spent is still better than some time spent!

    >net stop pedantryclient

    System error 1337 has occurred.

    Critical services may not be stopped.

    Thanks Custard,

    A thorough proofing there - appreciated. These are the kind of requests that pedantry was invented for.

    We'll be reviewing all the feedback and making edits where we deem necessary once all the comments are in.

    Regarding the UST projector, that's a manufacturer's product image we used which shows it with the arm extended to only a small range (we hadn't realised it might be misleading). Distance from the wall depends on how big your screen is of course, but that particular model needs 47cm to throw an 80" screen (I've attached the spec sheet if you are interested).

    EB475WI.pdf

    Cheers,

    Al

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 5th July 2010, 12:17 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th June 2010, 05:27 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th November 2009, 06:03 PM
  4. Autodesk Student Community - free software for your students
    By AngryTechnician in forum Downloads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th February 2009, 12:12 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th April 2008, 09:16 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •