+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Stage, lighting and sound in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksawbob View Post
    I am not a great believer in radio mikes for schools, I have worked on a show in the west end where all the cast had them, and basically every 9 volt battery was changed daily for a new one at £5 a pop! unless you have someone who knows how to use them I'd stear clear, you can get scratchy noises from movement, drop outs from failing batteries, interferance and there are only usually enough for the main cast to wear one, ideally you would have a dedicated sound engineer to bring each mic on when the wearer comes on stage and turn off when they leave. We stuck with good 'ol SM57 on a stand with a cable. Cast would deliver there lines without and then come up to the mic to sing. we looked at various shotgun mics retracting mics etc but decided against them in the end to keep it simple. I do have a couple of audio technica choir mics Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : Choir which I have used for picking up from overhead in a primary school and they work pretty well for a nativity when used in addition to a mics on stands. Bit of a ramble there let me know if you want more info.
    Newer radio mics from the likes of Sennheiser and Shure use a couple of AA batteries and last ages so it's not so expensive when you're putting a new pair in for each show.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksawbob View Post
    I am not a great believer in radio mikes for schools, I have worked on a show in the west end where all the cast had them, and basically every 9 volt battery was changed daily for a new one at £5 a pop!
    Err... where the hell are you buying your batteries? Try here! Plenty good enough for one show, and with "kind" mics, more than one. That said, the comment about the newer mics running on a pair of AAs is true. Again, good for at least one show, and even if you don't want to risk two, they will do a rehearsal as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Err... where the hell are you buying your batteries? Try here! Plenty good enough for one show, and with "kind" mics, more than one. That said, the comment about the newer mics running on a pair of AAs is true. Again, good for at least one show, and even if you don't want to risk two, they will do a rehearsal as well.
    We only ever use Duracell Procell Duracell Procell Battery Alkaline 9V Ref MN1604 [Pack 10]: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty much better than the GP.
    If you can find them cheaper from anyone other than Amazon, please do. I don't like giving the tax dodgers my money.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not use rechargeable batteries? We use them with our Sennheiser mic's very successfully - Duracell 2400mAh ones. A pair will last ages. Then you slap em in the 1 hour charger and you're ready to go again.

Thank Post
    Many pro's don't like rechargables for three reasons:-

1) They start out at a lower voltage.
    2) If doing a big show, with many sets of cells, it is very difficult to be sure you don't mix up part charged and fully charged cells.
    3) The discharge curve is different to an alkaline. The mics sensing circuit will be off, and the battery "dies" suddenly rather than gracefully.

As to using Pro Cells, well all I can say is advertising works, doesn't it? The GP batteries are fine, and a whole lot cheaper. I've used hundreds and never had a dud one, I can't say that for Duracel. Some mics will be intermittent with Duracel as the positive "pip" is less pronounces, leading to poor contact.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We work in schools, not the West End. A pair of charged rechargeable batteries works fine in a school. Even for 2 hour long shows. Managing them is easy One box for charged, one for empty. If you're really uneasy, swap at interval.

Buying single use batteries is simply wasteful in a school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I would never ever use rechargeable in my wireless mics, infact I think the manual says you must not use them as well.

I have only ever use Procell for shows and events that matter, rehearsals, school disco etc... we do use the cheap greencells if it dies its 2 minutes to slap some more in and you don't have embarrassment in-front of parents, potential parents, paying guests etc... as you would with major events.

Batterys are used for one show only then kept for extra rehearsals, remotes, LAN testers, Clock Batteries etc.... its just not worth the risk if you know where to shop decent batteries don't cost the world.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I would never ever use rechargeable in my wireless mics, infact I think the manual says you must not use them as well.
    Nope. Manual I have her doesn't mention it at all.

I've been using rechargeable batteries with Sennheiser radio mics since I was 14. Never once had an issue, but have saved my various employers thousands of pounds by using them, and haven't been ruining the environment by using single use ones either.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123