+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Adding a mixer and radio mics to an existing setup in Technical; We have a two channel amp/blueray/PC setup which we would like to add a mixer of some description to allow ...

Thank Post

Adding a mixer and radio mics to an existing setup

We have a two channel amp/blueray/PC setup which we would like to add a mixer of some description to allow 4 radio mics to be broadcast over the existing inputs.

What is the easiest way to do this and what companies local to B'ham are there (RTS/Vanti already contacted)

Thanks

Thank Post
    What model amp is it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    We have a two channel amp/blueray/PC setup which we would like to add a mixer of some description to allow 4 radio mics to be broadcast over the existing inputs.
    I've just bought a Chord 4-mic unit:

CHORD Quad QU4 UHF Wireless Handheld Radio Microphone Rackmount School Disco DJ | eBay

That can simply mix the four channels itself (it does have individual channel outputs, too), you just plug it straight into one of the input channels of your amp.

Do bear in mind that these mics operate on a common, unlicensed frequency, free for everyone to use, so someone else nearby could be using equipment that interferes. We didn't give this any thought until this morning, when we set the sound system up in the church hall under the main church that another school uses for assembly. During our standard sound test (getting one of the caratakers to sing Lionel Richie's "Hello") we found there was some interference on the mic. It was only when the vicar's sermon started coming through our speakers we realised that an assembly was on upstairs, and they must have been able to hear anything we did on our mic...

4. Thanks to dhicks from:

CHR1S (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Amp is an XLS1000 XLS Drivecore

Thank Post
    Be aware there is a lot of CE* tat out there. Not only can you find stuff that operates on restricted frequencies, but downright dangerous too.

If you get a small mixer, maybe like the Soundcraft here, in an 8 channel format you can connect the blu-ray, the PC and 4 receivers. You could go for fewer channels with the system dhicks links to. If you want good mics, look at Senheisser, Sure or Trantec. All three do a good range of systems at a range of £ching.

Be aware that using radio-mics really isn't a "set and forget" operation. They need controlling, feeding with batteries, and looking after.

*China Export - nothing to do with fitness for purpose.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 19th June 2013 at 12:38 PM.

7. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

CHR1S (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    The chord kit sounds like it's ok, I've also bought an Ashton AW400 which I use for a basic Radio Mic setup. Depending on your needs for the kit though, you might be better off looking at separates for the Mics - i.e. if it's for productions and the like where sound is quite vital, you might be better off looking at something like >> Trantec Mic Systems | CPC << which has a built in Antenna Amplifier and such (just give you better reception). If it's something and nothing you need it for then either the Chord as per @dhicks or Ashton like I've got would do the trick.

With regards to a mixer, something along these lines >> Folio Mixers | CPC << should do you well, folio desks are great little work horses ..

If you require more detailed kind of things such as installation and such, I can PM you a couple of details over who look after that sort of thing if you want.
    Last edited by soveryapt; 19th June 2013 at 01:01 PM.

9. Thanks to soveryapt from:

CHR1S (19th June 2013)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Not heard of them... However, I would comment that mixing on knobs is much harder than sliders. For cheap mixers, Behringer would be worth a look (and their new digital desk stacks up well against the big boys), but Soundcraft or A&H are better.

12. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

CHR1S (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    As @Andrew_C has already mentioned, knobs vs faders .. basically, in an installation situation (i.e. where the levels will be set and hardly changed) knobs are ok, but if you'll be doing live mixing, they're fiddly and faders are always a better way to go. I've had a few Behringers in my time, and currently have one at this school as a backup mixer (or when we want a few additional inputs for shows and I'm not bringing my full FOH rig in).

This >> X1204USB - BEHRINGER - MIXING CONSOLE, 12 INPUT, 2/2 | CPC << is the equivalent to the one you linked really, though the other question I'd also be asking is are you looking at mixers with just enough channels, or with spare too? If I were you, I'd make sure you have a few spare mic inputs and such as you never know when you might need them and £50 or so, you could get at least another couple of mic inputs, if you went a bit more, then you could double it.

14. Thanks to soveryapt from:

CHR1S (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    This >> X1204USB - BEHRINGER - MIXING CONSOLE, 12 INPUT, 2/2 | CPC << is the equivalent to the one you linked really, though the other question I'd also be asking is are you looking at mixers with just enough channels, or with spare too? If I were you, I'd make sure you have a few spare mic inputs and such as you never know when you might need them and £50 or so, you could get at least another couple of mic inputs, if you went a bit more, then you could double it.
    Accounting for spares, that looks good for the price too.

Thank Post
    Accounting for spares, that looks good for the price too.
    Certainly nice little desks for the price .. we have the previous model version with the 8 Mic inputs ..

17. Thanks to soveryapt from:

CHR1S (19th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread