+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, No signal on sky tv in Technical; A couple of weeks back we had some rain over the course of a few days. My sky signal went ...
    Thank Post

No signal on sky tv

A couple of weeks back we had some rain over the course of a few days. My sky signal went from getting some interference to no signal at all during this period and how I'm trying to figure it out. I had a spare old sky box, so I hooked it up and it was showing the same no signal message. There is a two feeds going into the box so I think it is unlikely a cable problem and I have done a quick visual inspection of the cable and it seems fine. From what I've read trees can get in the way of the dish and yes there are tree close by but I don't think this could of happened in this short space of time. I also can't see it being a dish mis-alignment as if I try to move my dish in any direction, it won't budge. That lead me to thinking it must be the lnb, so I brought a replacement and that didn't seem to make any difference either. I've tried adjusting the skew settings on it with no luck and now I'm out of ideas. Being short of cash as always I'm trying to avoid calling out an engineer, so I can learn about these things the hard way! Much more fun!

Thank Post
    If you've changed the lnb and the receiver, then it sounds like the cable. Water may have got in somewhere. You could try heating up the connections with a hair dryer to see if that makes any difference.

3. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Zourous (9th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    The two feeds are from the LNB one for each tuner (so you can watch one channel whilst recording the other)
    Your description would point to the most likely cause to be a faulty LNB although a box fault could prevent power being sent up the coax resulting in no signal.
    95% it Will be the LNB, so nip down to Maplins, Screwfix or tool station and buy a cheap LNB , that way if by chance it's not the LNB you can sneak it back and tell them it didn't fit your dish...
    I thought I was bad at not reading the posts.

That lead me to thinking it must be the lnb, so I brought a replacement

Thank Post
    Doh... I have to stop using the mobile app on the iPhone...
    Swapping both Receiver and LNB doesn't leave anything else but the cable!
    However only one cable has to get shorted to take out the power to the LNB so, disconnect the cable both ends do a resistance check?

Thank Post
    It's been dry now for a few days so I would have any water would have dried up. How would you do this resistance check?

Thank Post
    Disconnect the connections at both ends.
    Then back at the receiver end using a multimeter measure for continuity and resistance between the centre conductor and screen on each cable.
    Hopefully they should both be open circuit, if you don't get identical open circuit readings then suspect one is damaged.
    Reconnect each one in turn and test them with just one cable.
    I'm pretty sure that some of these boxes have to be told to use just one LNB link.

Check this link http://diagnostics.sky.com/no-satellite-signal
    Last edited by m25man; 8th June 2013 at 06:46 PM.

8. Thanks to m25man from:

Zourous (9th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 819 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right first things first which sky box do you have? the standard sky hd box or the 1tb?
    Also how old is it?
    In the SKY EPG it should list both signal strengths representing each wire into the back allowing you to see if any signal is coming down for either. The 1st connection is used for live tv and pause etc with the second being used to deliver ANYTIME preloaded programs and do recording primarily (although they will switch over if the other is busy when needed)
    If both have signal strength but no quality that can mean your dish has moved and although its getting a satellite signal, its not sky's/compatible signal. If one has signal and the other doesnt then a wire has possibly got a break. Disconnect that wire and ensure the working one is connected to the sky's primary connection, you can then enable single lnb mode in the sky epg I *think* via Setup (or settings) -> hit '01 SELECT' and you should access the hidden menu.

10. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Zourous (9th June 2013)

Thank Post
    You would of missed simon cowell getting egged.

12. 2 Thanks to Alkaline:

Edu-IT (9th June 2013), mattlynch (9th June 2013)

Thank Post
    My sky box is HD but only 250 gb. Just under a year I think. I've played around with it again today trying some of the tips mentioned, but still no joy. If I push the dish up from underneath I can get about 60% strength and 40% quality, but no picture or network ID, so I'm guessing I'm hitting another satellite. I tried this on both feeds separately. I'm almost defeated in this one.

Thank Post
    Will Sky not send an engineer out at no charge? It's worth threatening cancellation, if you're out of contract.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread