+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, BenQ TL650 LCD touch screen tv in Technical; One of my primaries (not much money) is looking at replacing the smartboards around the school and I have got ...

Thank Post

BenQ TL650 LCD touch screen tv

One of my primaries (not much money) is looking at replacing the smartboards around the school and I have got costings for smartboards with short throw projectors but wanted to add a different option in to the mix.

I have been given a quote for a BenQ TL650 Touch tv which comes in at double the price of the smartboard so will be hard to push these but wanted to know if anyone is using these and would you recommend them over a smartboard given the price difference.

Thank Post
    just be aware you arnt supposed to use smartboard software on any interactive screen thats not smart unless you cough up an absurd amount of cash per pc so if you want to continue using smart notebookm may be a consideration (and newer versions watermark the documents on non smart screens)

Thank Post
    Hi Edutech4schools,

I have sent you a pm regarding this.

Thank Post
    just be aware you arnt supposed to use smartboard software on any interactive screen thats not smart unless you cough up an absurd amount of cash per pc so if you want to continue using smart notebookm may be a consideration (and newer versions watermark the documents on non smart screens)
    I thought BenQ came with smart licencing as standard . Am I wrong?
    Last edited by edutech4schools; 3rd June 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    yes the Ben q T series interactive touchscreens come with smart Notebook.

Thank Post
    BenQ screens sourced through Steljes, SMART's distribution partner, can come with SMART Notebook bundled. This is not the case if you source the product from a non-SMART reseller partner - so if you get two quotes, one much cheaper, check the legitimacy of the bundle. IDN are a SMART Gold partner, just to state my interest.
    This is a very fast developing market sector just now, with all the main players in the multi-touch large format display space upgrading ranges to LED with the related benefits, and with competition bringing prices down quite rapidly.

Thank Post
    Our primary bought 6 of these without our knowledge, they've had nothing but problems. BenQ have been out to them as well as the reseller / installer and they can't get them to work correctly. The main issue is when you are within a couple of feet from them the mouse will randomly jumps around (you dont have to be touching the screen), other times you can be using it normally and the mouse will just jump to another point of the screen than you are telling it to.

They are in the process of negotiating either a full refund or swapping all the screens out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Our primary bought 6 of these without our knowledge, they've had nothing but problems. BenQ have been out to them as well as the reseller / installer and they can't get them to work correctly. The main issue is when you are within a couple of feet from them the mouse will randomly jumps around (you dont have to be touching the screen), other times you can be using it normally and the mouse will just jump to another point of the screen than you are telling it to.

They are in the process of negotiating either a full refund or swapping all the screens out.
    Not good. Not aware of that issue myself, but BenQ is the only route to get SMART software on touchscreens without paying separate additional licence fees. SMART Notebook files, of course, can be translated to work with other IWB tools under the scheme BECTA implemented. The Clevertouch software is quite nice...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilbert View Post
    Not good. Not aware of that issue myself, but BenQ is the only route to get SMART software on touchscreens without paying separate additional licence fees. SMART Notebook files, of course, can be translated to work with other IWB tools under the scheme BECTA implemented. The Clevertouch software is quite nice...
    Yes, they came with the SMART license, i think it's an additional £600 per device or something stupid otherwise. We have a number of Sahara Clevertouch with Lynx software in our secondary which isnt too bad and converts SMART files though how often the software is used i dont know.

Thank Post
    One of my primaries (not much money) is looking at replacing the smartboards around the school and I have got costings for smartboards with short throw projectors but wanted to add a different option in to the mix.
    We're currently looking at pretty much the same thing - we have a whole bunch of worn-out projectors to replace. I'm leaning towards keeping most of our existing Smartboards and simply replacing all the projectors - about £1,200 each, installed, with speaker system, 5 year projector warrenty and VAT. We might buy CleverTouch screens for the Year 1 classrooms. The CleverTouch model we'd go for has proper 6-point multi-touch - Windows 8 requires a minimum of 5-point touch for all gestures to be useable, some touch screens only manage 3 or 4. The Smartboards we'll have left in most of the classrooms will manage 1 or 2 point touch, but that will be good enough for the next few years. Software-wise, I figure we simply use Windows 8's touch facilities and skip and third party software - we'll also set each PC up so we can mirror iPads to them.

Thank Post
    didn't realise benq were authorised so I retract that comment about these boards ive just had the odd occasion when there has been issues with smart and interactive displays that arnt smart branded

Thank Post
    We have done this recently but went CTouch as their screens are anti reflective and much slimmer than the Cleve Touch ones. We have Smart (paid for) on 9 Maths machines, the jumping round the board was to do with response time, Smart support were useless and gave us fixes for everything apart from what the issue was, basically we reduced the response time of the board from 400ms to 600ms and this stopped the issue (it is something to do with Gesture control and 6 taps on the boards), standard whiteboards are much slower than the CTouch screens so it works fine on them.

All other software, the CTools which comes with them and RM Easy Teach don't have any problems and work fine, you can also reduce the sensitivity of them so that a pen has to be physically touching the board.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing on Windows 8, most LED/LCD displays have a bezel, this doesn't work with Windows 8 swipe features!

Thank Post
    New panels should have few mm of dead space around the hard glass for W8 future proofing. You need to be able to move pixel 1. Wouldn't buy one that doesn't.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OxfordBlue View Post
    New panels should have few mm of dead space around the hard glass for W8 future proofing. You need to be able to move pixel 1. Wouldn't buy one that doesn't.
    To my knowledge only the CTOUCH has this feature throughout its entire range of displays, which to a large extent are 10 point touch too.

Thank Post
    New panels should have few mm of dead space around the hard glass for W8 future proofing. You need to be able to move pixel 1. Wouldn't buy one that doesn't
    That is a very interesting fact. What would this mean for the screens that do not have this space.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast