+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Stage DMX lighting system haunted? in Technical; I have been installing DMX systems for over 20 years, never used a termination resistor yet! Good plan using just ...

Thank Post
    I have been installing DMX systems for over 20 years, never used a termination resistor yet!
    Good plan using just one fitting to test. The problem is every manufacturer assigns different functions to the dip switches on the back of the fittings. As there are ten switches they cannot all be for address as DMX can only do 512 channels. some cheaper fittings will only take 256 channels. I would guess (and it is a guess) that the last one or two switches will setup standalone, slave, master or macro modes. Switches one to eight will almost definitely be the address.
    Try setting switch 1 on and then try every combination of the last two switches. Also some fitting will not change settings until the power is switched off and on to the fitting.
    If this doesn't work get a fitting that you do have a manual for and make sure you can get it to work properly from the desk. Could be a fault on the desk.
    some fittings when set in standalone mode will output DMX, this will really mess up the other fittings on the DMX chain.

Good luck.

2. Thanks to Avonics from:

leni (31st May 2013)

Thank Post
    So, here's the end story. The Vietnamese school maintenance dude actually knew one of the guys who originally installed them. (Would have been nice if he told me that to begin with...) He came by and said all the dips had to be ON and that these lights could not be set to function independently; they were too old. He got them to do solid green, red, blue, and white-ish, and do a medium flash. He said that was all they could do and they had to ALL do it together. We couldn't even get some of them to be red and some blue etc. An "all or nothing" deal. Sounds odd to me, but what the hell do I know, right?
    I would like to thank everyone who replied and tried to help. It's why I love theatre.

Thank Post
    If it does what you need to do, brilliant!
    Still think they are DMXable. Depends how much time and aggravation you want to spend on them.
    Next time you buy fittings write the DMX settings on the back with a CD marker pen. Don't know why the manufacturer wouldn't print it on in the first place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avonics View Post
    Don't know why the manufacturer wouldn't print it on in the first place.
    It would cost too much, and be in too many languages! Apart from that, they would have to change the label between batches 'cos the bldy things are never the same!

6. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

leni (1st June 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm just wondering why there is not a universal standard for dip switches? Why must the wheel be invented 152 different ways. But I suppose that's a whole nother thread...
    Sadly, the lights apparently do not do what I need them to do. I need to light a play, not a dance party, so I need more subtle and accurate lighting than what this rubbish can do. <<sigh>>
    Last edited by leni; 1st June 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Thank Post
    If anyone knows Spanish, I've just found a website that sells both the "LEDA-P004(3w)" lights and a version of that desk.

30-SM006 Desk
    LEDA-P004(3w) Lights

Unfortunately there's no manuals on there, but someone might be able to liase with them in Spanish.

What it does say is that the unit is 5 channels and does respond to Sound. (I'm presuming 'No de canales' means 'Number of channels' and 'Control: Audioritimico' means Audio control)

Actually, scrap all the above - I've just found the manufacturers website:

Unite Star: P009 LED light

That's the P009 version of the light, which is presumably the newer model. Unfortunately it is 6-channel whereas yours are 5, but if we get hold of the manual we should get a better idea of whether RGB are 1-3. I've registered on the site, but my registration is pending administrator approval. (The site is english, but the dialog boxes with errors/notices are chinese - however you can copy/paste the chinese into google translate)

I'll report back when my registration is confirmed.

Peter

Thank Post
    Thanks Peter, I'd be interested to know what these lights could do or not. I think we probably need new cables too. They are over 4 years old and in this climate, they are probably TOAST. Now to convince the owners that things do not last forever....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12