+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Rackmount wireless microphone set in Technical; Originally Posted by john If your EQ was badly setup / faulty it would have screwed the sounds so you ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    If your EQ was badly setup / faulty it would have screwed the sounds so you would get poor sound.
    Or a weird phase or summing issue in a bad cable possibly.... I've had a bad 3.5 jack to XLR on a (rather large) gig, which summed the L and the R's inverse inside the desk... sounded really funny but it was the only one on site at the time.

2. Thanks to mjs_mjs from:

dhicks (20th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Bose 802s must have a Bose 802 system controller, no ifs or buts. Otherwise they will sound awful.
    The way the Bose Professional gear works relies heavily on EQ and processing. You can't use another manufacturer's EQ or simulate it with a graphic EQ as the curves are too complex.
    You will need to get your controller fixed or get a new one.
    Many DJs will tell you that they will work without EQ but most DJs are deaf as a post.
    For repairs you will need to go to a Bose Professional Partner supplier, or look on Ebay for a second hand one.

4. Thanks to Avonics from:

dhicks (3rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avonics View Post
    The way the Bose Professional gear works relies heavily on EQ and processing.
    To expand on that thought a little:-

Traditionally, speaker manufactures did some calculations based on the Theile - Small parameters then made a prototype. They listened to them, tweaked the design a bit, listened, <go to tweaked>....

Bose chose a shape they wanted, made the box, and tweaked the sound electronically to sound how they wanted.

They are the Marmite of the sound world!

Thank Post
    Some say BOSE stands for:
    Bring
    Other
    Sound
    Equipment

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Bose chose a shape they wanted, made the box, and tweaked the sound electronically to sound how they wanted.

They are the Marmite of the sound world!
    Alot of manufactures do this now to help improve there box, but andrew_c is correct. If you mention BOSE to a pro sound engineer or tech they'll usually shake their head in disgust. They have their good products tho, i'm thinking all the 70/100v line syuff and wave cannons in theme parks .

Thank Post
    Many DJs will tell you that they will work without EQ but most DJs are deaf as a post.
    The speakers seem okay with our microphones and with a bit of music in assembly, but probably no-one is really paying much attention to the sound quality. I'll see how they get on with the end-of-term film tomorrow - if we can hear and understand the sound okay then that's fine, if not then we'll have to see about sorting it. I get the impression it's going to be easier to get a new set of speakers rather than get the Bose controller repaired.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Some say BOSE stands for:
    Bring
    Other
    Sound
    Equipment
    I like that one not come across it before but agree.

As has been said they do seem the Marmite of Audio kit, I personally am not a fan its over-priced and too fussy at times for my liking, I do like EV products both my halls and drama studio at my last place were rigged out with EV kit and it was excellent quality sound and worked well (and no over-priced / complex controllers!)

Thank Post
    EV is good, Even Behringer would be good and economical.
    Would be a shame to scrap the Bose, would almost definitely be worth getting the controller repaired.

Thank Post
    EV is good, Even Behringer would be good and economical.
    Would be a shame to scrap the Bose, would almost definitely be worth getting the controller repaired.
    I agree .. whilst the statements about BOSE kit being frowned upon are true (personally I think their zone systems (cubes etc) for background music or home entertainement systems are great, but the "pro" kit .. well) for the cost of either replacing a fuse (likely candidate) or even buying a reconditioned one on eBay, it'd be cheaper than getting in a new system .. It might be worthwhile seeing if someone has a controller you can borrow to double check that is the issue though before you head down that route ..

Thank Post
    Another issue to consider: for some reason our new 4-unit microphone unit didn't work with the Bose controller plugged in, although it seems fine now with the output from the mixer going straight to the amp. Does the signal processing done by the controller intefere in some way with what comes out from the microphone, or was it simply that the controller was on its way out anyway (it failed the next day after we'd been trying out the microphones)?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123