+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Rackmount wireless microphone set in Technical; Originally Posted by Andrew_C Should be XLR-XLR in that case. Could the problem be crummy cables? We have some rather ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Should be XLR-XLR in that case.
    Could the problem be crummy cables? We have some rather old-looking cables, and most are rather longer than they need to be just to connect bits of equipment together, might that be at least part of the problem?

Is there an option to alter the output level on the receiver? Set to 0db if you can.
    All four mic channels are cranked right up - I don't think they're lablled in decibels, they're just plain twiddly knobs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I've tried both types of cable (XLR and mono phono jacks). The microphone unit has 5 outputs - one XLR for each single microphone channel and a mono phono jack output for a mix of all 4 microphones.
    Have you tried just the mix or just a single channel? I think if you plug them all in then you might hit issues, I may be wrong, but my ashton only likes either the mix or the separates being used. In terms of the output on the receivers, again if it's like my ashton, there will be a volume control on each channel that you change using the up and down buttons but it won't be meaningful numbers as such, simply a range (I think mine is 0-60 so I generally have them set at 45).

I would chase through my suggestions about if you're still not getting anywhere. If you plug the mics in and press the PFL button on that channel, does the the LED strip light up at all on the top right of the Folio? As the PFL will switch that main mix monitor to being a specific channel monitor. If you're getting lights, then sound is hitting the desk and the issue lies somewhere after that (so either the outputs as described above or possibly the connection between the desk and the amps).

Thank Post
    Cables could be the problem if they aren't wired "normally" Should be pin1-1 pin2-2 pin3-3 and NO connection to the shell. It does sound like something may be mis-wired and grounding incorrectly.

4. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

dhicks (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    May be worth just checking that the cables you are using are microphone cables and not speaker cables. Could have same connectors but are different cable and connections.
    Speaker cable only have two cores and no screen. Pop the XLR open and see if the cable looks like two core mains flex.

6. Thanks to Avonics from:

dhicks (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Have knocked up this image as a guide. I have looked at the manufactures images and it looks like the XLR outputs are mic level rather than line. So they should work into the folio.
    You can always check it by plugging a handheld wired microphone in.
    In fact that would also check the cables and prove if they are OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Thanks to Avonics from:

dhicks (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    but when I try and plug either the mix or an individual mic channel into the audio desk any speech comes out barely audible.
    The problem seems to have been our Bose 802c Series II controller. This conked out completly this morning, so I bypassed it and plugged the mixer desk straight into the amp. We can now plug the mic output into the mixing desk, which seems to work fine. We'll have to wait and see what the sound quality is like without the controller for the speakers.

Thank Post
    Ooopps... It was fine when I last used it, honest!

Not having is won't cause any damage unless you are running flat out, when you could overdrive at some frequencies. It will affect the sound though; you could tweak to improve if you have a graphic equalizer.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 19th June 2013 at 02:02 PM.

11. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

dhicks (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Yeah, you're better off (if you can) buying a new controller if you plan to use it in anger at any stage or (worse still) allow other staff who aren't techy savvy make use of it - unless you can make use of gaffa to limit the output from your desk etc - ok, they could remove the gaffa, but if you put a nice note "so as not to damage the PA system whilst we source a new controller, please do not use above the gaffa line" etc ..

13. Thanks to soveryapt from:

dhicks (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Ooopps... It was fine when I last used it, honest!
    We've had a good year's use out of it, we really can't complain!

Not having is won't cause any damage unless you are running flat out, when you could overdrive at some frequencies.
    Right now, the equipment is being used for the junior school fashion show in the church hall opposite - if there's a sudden loud bang, I'll know what happened.

It will affect the sound though; you could tweak to improve if you have a graphic equalizer.
    I think maybe our graphic equalizer was part of the problem before - I don't know what I'm doing with one well enough to be able to set one up, and they always get fiddled with anyway, which made speech through those speakers come out very odd-sounding. I'm going to try the system later with a DVD, see if it's intelligable.

Thank Post
    I've never come across a Bose controller being used with 802's. You should be fine without it. I'd personally buy new speakers instead of replacing the Bose controller.

16. Thanks to Chris_ from:

dhicks (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Must admit I used to have a set of 802s and never had a controller, fine those that are audio-geeks can hear the difference and you need to be a bit smarter on the settings and how you drive them but they work without.

18. Thanks to john from:

dhicks (20th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Wow. I've never considered myself "Golden Eared", but the difference with and without is really quite noticeable.

Maybe the reason people go all "Marmite" on Bose is that there are so many systems running without the Eq.?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Must admit I used to have a set of 802s and never had a controller, fine those that are audio-geeks can hear the difference and you need to be a bit smarter on the settings and how you drive them but they work without.
    Wow. I've never considered myself "Golden Eared", but the difference with and without is really quite noticeable.

Maybe the reason people go all "Marmite" on Bose is that there are so many systems running without the Eq.?
    the bose stuff does have controllers for all of their gear in that series, it's mainly a standard set of EQ settings and a crossover for subs/mono sub/other things. You can run them without the controller but you'll miss out 3 key functions,
    1 EQ - to make it sound nicer/modify the sound to fit the room (sometimes to remove feedback issues)
    2 crossover - to remove the frequencies that shouldn't be going to the 802's (sub 75hz maybe would be bad for the small drivers in the box)
    3 limiter - to stop people over driving the speakers and amp with signal that is too hot.

if you can get hold of the preset data, a new digital loudspeaker management system would be a great idea to help protect the system into the future. (the folio is a great little series of desk - I have some in my hire stock and they've been going for ages (apart from the power connector that is))

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Right, now I'm really confused. The whole reason we got a controller (and, again, many thanks, @Andrew_C) in the first place was because we had a problem showing a DVD in the main hall one evening - you could hear the soundtrack, you just couldn't understand what anyone was saying. Running the sound system without the controller yesterday with the new microphone set plugged in, the head actually complemented me on how clear the sound was. Maybe we just needed to reorganise the system, or just remove the equaliser that was originally part of the setup?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Right, now I'm really confused. The whole reason we got a controller (and, again, many thanks, @Andrew_C) in the first place was because we had a problem showing a DVD in the main hall one evening - you could hear the soundtrack, you just couldn't understand what anyone was saying. Running the sound system without the controller yesterday with the new microphone set plugged in, the head actually complemented me on how clear the sound was. Maybe we just needed to reorganise the system, or just remove the equaliser that was originally part of the setup?
    If your EQ was badly setup / faulty it would have screwed the sounds so you would get poor sound.

23. Thanks to john from:

dhicks (20th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast