+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, touch screen vs smartboard in Technical; Just about to get some new smartboards / projectors and the sales person is trying to push some touch screen ...

Thank Post

touch screen vs smartboard

Just about to get some new smartboards / projectors and the sales person is trying to push some touch screen tv systems on us.

Do not think the primary school has the funding for them as they start at 4k but wanted to know if anyone else has got them / recommend them.

NB. Sales person says they will last at least 8 years which I laughed at, obviously not met our teachers.

Thank Post
    A nearby school has a few and our staff were wowed. TPTB are going down that route with the next batch of replacements.

If you are using SMART software (maybe others) be aware that unless the hardware you buy has a license "built in", you will need to get a separate license to cover the use of the software on your new screens. (I was told around 600/screen). If your SMT are anything like those here, they will not comprehend this and probably hope it never comes up if they pretend not to have heard you.

Rather annoyingly, the teachers here have loads of work created in SMART that they could have done in PowerPoint, or I'd suggest dumping SMART as they don't use (m)any of the unique features.

NDW

Thank Post
    The benQ Screens come with the smart software as standard. most other brands come with their own software

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Rather annoyingly, the teachers here have loads of work created in SMART that they could have done in PowerPoint, or I'd suggest dumping SMART as they don't use (m)any of the unique features.
    Smart notebook viewer is free though, always handy to have that as a stopgap whilst they re-do it in something useful instead

5. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

LeMarchand (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    We are probably going down this route for our new Foundation and Year 1 classrooms. Looking at CleverTouch LCD screens, as saw them in action at Hartsholme Primary Academy in Lincolnshire. Advantage for us is not having the projector which means they can be low mounted without the projector getting in the way - great for little ones. Looking into getting adjustable height mounts for them. Should also be able to connect iPads. The price we've got for 55" CleverTouch is around the 2000 mark though. Possibly you are going for something bigger and therefore more expensive?

Have a look at this thread:

Projectors or TV?
    Last edited by Andie; 16th May 2013 at 06:13 PM.

Thank Post
    From our experience it is probably around 50/50 for IWB's and Touchscreens in Primary schools at the moment. I would say it just comes down to preference and budget.

These days budget being the deciding factor.

Thank Post
    We've been looking at touch screens to replace our IWB but our staff just don't seem interested??? I've had two different models on demo over the last few months and only a handful of people have gone to take a look.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All my primary schools are getting them. 4k though? The company I work for do them cheaper than that. Philips ones that are super tough. You can proper smack them about and they are awesome still! What size is that for?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post

BenQ and SMART (obviously) screens come with SMART Notebook, but don't forget the interoperability requirement that BECTA slapped on the various vendors before they were canned - there are conversion tools from Notebook to the Clevertouch software, for example. Having seen demos of various different models, though, I would say that moving beyond the basic Powerpoint style of usage is much easier with any of the multitouch screens. And, anyway, if you're using touch with any version of Office, you can turn on Ink and directly annotate and enter data/text into Word/Excel/Powerpoint, and have been able so to do since XP Tablet Edition...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh, if anyone cares, I know that the Philips screens come with rm easiteach.

Thank Post
    Had nothing but problems with the BenQ screens at a primary we support (they purchased the BenQ screens without us knowing so we havent had too much input into them) as discussed on another thread, though yes they do come with SmartBoard software.

We have some of the Sahara CleverLCD's at my school which we've not had issues with and the newer models are nicer than the original models (built in speakers, plug and play with w7 etc) but they come with their own software called Lynx.

Check if they come with a freeze screen option before buying

Thank Post
    I would also say it is 50/50 on schools asking us for smart boards and UST projector or interactive screens. It is all about budjet and if they suit your needs.

Thank Post
    Sahara PLC all the way for us now... We deal with a local reseller and get great service from both them and Sahara. Wall strength does tend to be an issue, especially on unreinforced areas in new builds. We're led to believe a new floor stand is now available, this doesn't fix into the floor, no risk to underfloor heating, so we're hoping this will prove a selling point.
    Last edited by Mr_Jiminy; 12th June 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jiminy View Post
    We're led to believe a new floor stand is now available, this doesn't fix into the floor, no risk to underfloor heating, so we're hoping this will prove popular.
    I think this has been out for a fair while, it still attaches to the wall so it doesnt topple over but the main weight is taken by the floor not the wall. I believe they come in electric 'up and down' versions and fixed.

The Sahara touch screens definitely have a bit of weight to them, we have some 55" ones and I think they were 70kg or so from memory.

As i said before, a bug bear from teachers is a lack of a freeze screen option on them.

Thank Post
    The Ctouch screens have anti-glare glass, 4 point touch and freeze frame as standard. Anti glare makes for such a better viewing experience over clear glass, plus smoother touch. Priced competitively too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast