+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, AppleTV flickering problem in Technical; Hi, we have an Apple TV black using latest software update and are using the hdmi to VGA cable supplied ...
    Thank Post

AppleTV flickering problem

Hi, we have an Apple TV black using latest software update and are using the hdmi to VGA cable supplied on apple website by Kanex.

We have notice random flickering onscreen, has anyone experienced this? Any adrive apart from changing cable to a different make.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Had this plus found Apple TV unreliable in use. We have now shelved the 3 sets we bought and bought in AirServer - Most advanced AirPlay receiver for Mac and PC at a fraction of the cost. Easy to set up and the teachers love it. Not sure what use we are going to find now fore the HDMI / VGA converters and Apple TVs though

Thank Post
    Hi Ass17

you can try this.....

1. Reset the Apple TV
      Resetting the Apple TV can be done by pressing and holding the Menu and Down buttons on the Apple TV remote until you see the Apple TV LED light flash. If this does not fix the issue then unplug the Apple TV from its power and let it stay off for a few minutes before plugging it back in.
      You might also try resetting the Apple TV when it is both connected and not connected to your television (or when using the DVI-to-HDMI adapter). This may force it to change its output configurations and might allow it to properly set the output modes.
    2. Change HDMI output settings
      In the new Apple TV software, go to the settings and to the "Audio and Video" section. Then go to the settings for the HDMI output and try different ones for your TV. The default setting is to automatically select the best option, but it may not be doing this properly. A number of people have found the system is stuck on the Auto setting, but if you can change it then this may help.
    3. Change your TV's resolution
      Try a different display mode if your TV supports it. This problem seems to be affecting folks who are running at 1080i resolutions, so try changing the TV to 720i or 720p if you can. This may at least prevent the flickering while we wait for Apple to address this problem.

Hope that helps

Thank Post
    are you going to a projector? or a large display?
    I would agree with playing around with the resolution settings on the AppleTV. We have a number of the units and certain projectors Epson X9's dont like the native signal too much so we need to downsize it a bit. Play with the 50/60Hz freq options too.
    While airserver is good everything needs to be via wireless which isnt always the best solution for everyone.

Thank Post
    We've got some flickering on the projectors (Epson) using Apple TVs with the Kanex VGA adapters, I put it down to our setup - we're using a Lindy VGA/audio switcher to switch between the PC and Apple TV (with Kanex adapter).

Thank Post
    Hi folks, I will try out your suggestions tomorrow, as for the VGA splitter, we only use it on the PC and the Apple TV goes into vga2 on the projector, so not an issue for us.

Thanks

Thank Post
    It was a faulty Kanex cable, the one I tested in the other lab works ok.

8. Thanks to ass17 from:

Chris_ (16th May 2013)

Thank Post
    I'll have to check ours and try another Kanex adapter. They're not cheap adapters!!

Thank Post
    I have the same issue, except it was working ok with the previous projector. That projector was replaced due to the bulb going.

As soon as the new projector was in, it started flickering. I tried all settings on the projector and Apple TVs to no avail.

I will try another Kanex adaptor later

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenmcginnis View Post
    I have the same issue, except it was working ok with the previous projector. That projector was replaced due to the bulb going.

As soon as the new projector was in, it started flickering. I tried all settings on the projector and Apple TVs to no avail.

I will try another Kanex adaptor later
    It's to do with the length of VGA cable. I have had to buy a Aten powered splitter and this works very well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread