+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Smart Boards on Windows 8 in Technical; Hi, any advice on this would be really apreciated: I have a standard short throw integrated smart board. It has ...

Thank Post

Question Smart Boards on Windows 8

Hi, any advice on this would be really apreciated:

I have a standard short throw integrated smart board. It has worked well in the past on Windows XP and Windows 7 systems.
    Have put on a brand new Windows 8 HP laptop and the board is interactive, but the green light is flashing. The smart driver software is detecting no IWB and no matter how many times I remove it from Dev Manager, reinstall drivers etc, it is still flashing green and not being detected by software. Have even tried different cables.

I believe the only way it is interactive is via the Microsoft Pointers application (or whatever it is called).

Thank Post
    I have the same issue on windows 7, but after I restarted the computer after the install, the smart service started and got a solid green light.

Thank Post
    As far as I'm aware the new 11.1 version is windows 8 compatible.

Thank Post
    Good morning, thanks for your posts. I have tried rebooting several times, checking BIOS in case of any USB settings, but I am getting nowhere. I have spent a considerable time on the laptop. My next option was to try another laptop on the board, but I already know that the old laptop worked fine on it with no problems at all. I was a little concerned that the AV company who had installed this and others had used quite long, thin usb cables - not of great quality, so I used some thicker wires yesterday, but made no difference.
    I am running out of options!

Thank Post
    Have you tried it with a shorter USB cable? Interactive Whiteboards are notoriously fickle with USB cables, long ones (thick or thin) can cause issues. If cable runs are over 5m then you should always use a powered extender (lindy ones are good)

Thank Post
    Check the feature on the projector menu for the powering up of use sockets depending on the input source vga dvi etc. I had this issue on 7 due to the signal being dropped l. Only affected a few computers.

Thank Post
    smart board don't support windows 8 at this time. Read it some where on SB website when I was trying to install it and get working.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by w-clarke101 View Post
    smart board don't support windows 8 at this time. Read it some where on SB website when I was trying to install it and get working.
    Wrong, read my previous post and the system requirements at the following link: http://smarttech.com/gb/Support/Brow...ivers+11_1+Win

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ass17 View Post
    Wrong, read my previous post and the system requirements at the following link: 11.1 for Windows - SMART Technologies
    Cool new updates! tried this at the start of March, Will get it install.

Thank Post
    Thanks to everyone for your posts. I will give the 11.1 drivers a go, although I did check my drivers were fully up to date.
    Other than that, I will give the cables another check. I find with these newer boards, there are cables stuffed behind the board all over the place, although I guess it depends on the way they are installed.

I am not due to be back in the room in question until Thursday, but will let you know how I get on!

Thank Post
    I tried the link you posted, but it doesn't lead to anything. According to the Smarttech website, the latest version doesn't support Windows 8. It does claim that 11.1 does support Windows 8, but I've found that as soon as I install it everything on my laptop goes haywire, including not being able to shut it down. The problems disappear as soon as I uninstall it. With the school year almost over I'm inclined to do without the SmartTech software for the next week and revisit it in the fall.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    When installing Smart Notebook 11 on Win 7, the green LED on the board will flash when at the login screen. When logged in, you'll then get a solid green light. This is normal behaviour.

The latest Smart Notebook 11 SP1 does not fully support Windows 8, but does work OK on Win 7 SP1 (in my testing):

Taken from Smart:

In the Windows 8 operating system, icons for all SMART programs appear in the Start screen,
    creating a cluttered appearance.

SMART Board® 400 series interactive overlays don’t support multitouch gestures on the
    Windows 8 operating system.

You’re unable to insert emoticons and other graphical characters into .notebook files using
    the Windows 8 operating system’s virtual keyboard.

You’re unable to deploy the Education Software Installer MSI file by command line in the
    Windows 8 operating system.

Thank Post
    Smart Notebook 11.2.637.0 has been released and is available here (455MB).

As far as I can make out, this seems to fully support Windows 8. Maybe someone on Edugeek can test this for certain?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Smart Notebook 11.2.637.0 has been released and is available here (455MB).

As far as I can make out, this seems to fully support Windows 8. Maybe someone on Edugeek can test this for certain?
    but dosent support older "black" smartboards I believe

Thank Post
    I've read the release notes... where does it quote not supporting the older black whiteboards or is this only on Windows 8?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast