+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Apple TV to replace IWB in Technical; Hi One of the schools projectors has broken so i went to the person in charge of such things, he ...

Thank Post

Apple TV to replace IWB

Hi

One of the schools projectors has broken so i went to the person in charge of such things, he has asked me to look into buying a 60" screen and an Apple TV to replace the smart IWB and projector which I have to admit sounds great as even though I've only been working with this school a short time most of my time is spent fixing projectors and white boards so anything that replaces them is fine by me.
    Each teacher currently has a macbook running snow leopard and we could most likely move an Ipad into each room as there is a mix of Ipad's and Ipad 2's in the school.

What would be ideal is if
    1. The Mac's/Ipads screens & sound could be sent wirelessly to the Apple TV (I believe Airplay won't work with the Mac's as they are to old)
    2. The Mac's screen can be shown on the TV but also on an Ipad so that the teacher or student can control or scribble on the Mac screen via the Ipad, replacing the use of the pens on the IWB. I've seen an app called splash board that seems to do that, any other apps worth looking at? Or alternatively would a touchscreen TV be better?

To be honest if I could get those two things working they've got everything they have now with the advantage of not being tied to the white board but if theres anything else good we can do with this set up I'm all ears.

Many Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Apple TV is clunky, go with AirServer. It's much better and considerably cheaper! You can download a Windows or Mac client to work with an iPad 2 or later.

3. 2 Thanks to Michael:

Cooners (24th April 2013), plexer (24th April 2013)

Thank Post
    I will certainly take a look at the pros & cons of going down the air server root, many thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    AirServer looks great one app that would provide that functionality via Ipad or Android tabled would be great.

Ben

Thank Post
    Have a look at the Displaynote app - www.displaynote.com
    Last edited by plexer; 24th April 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok had a look at Air Server at home and I'm actually so impressed I might buy it for myself as well as recommend it to the schools. Just two annoying glitches I've found and I'm hoping someone on here will be able to answer these because if these can be sorted I can't see any reason not to roll this out given the cheap price.
    1. I've managed to get it to go straight to my TV and the audio to go to the TV as well but it's windowed which looks awful and the schools would need it full screen for sure.
    2. Video seems a bit hit and miss, Iplayer worked great as did youtube and netflix however the first thing I tried, Sky Go failed, whilst they'll never run Sky Go in school I'm worried what else it might not like.

Other than that I just need to look at whiteboard apps and show this to the powers that be and hopefully save them a few quid on Apple TV's in the process.

Thank Post
    Just click on the image on your laptop/pc and it will go full scrreen.

9. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

Cooners (24th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Don't forget the ipad has a (not great) version of smart notebook, which they do seem to be working on.

I use an Apple TV and home and it is great, but then my iMac is reasonably new. We have bought a load of 60" LED TV whiteboards form a company called Seewoo and I must they they are quite good. I was getting really frustrated by the short lives of traditional boards and the extremely short lives of projectors. They have the touch input of a traditional IWB, (but a different tech so less temperamental) but the brightness, low running costs and general lack of projector of a TV. The cabling is pretty simple too, especially as you can buy them with a built in of (I didn't though). In one room I'm going to trolly mount it as there is no worries about lining it up with a projector.

On the other hand they cost us £3500 to buy and nave them fitted so they are not cheap.

Thank Post
    Thanks that went full screen and is an improvement but still has bars down either side of the screen like it's stuck in 4:3 mode, I really want it to fill the screen if possible (full HD1080P).
    I'll have a look at those TV's too, any chance of a link as all I could find typing Seewoo was a Chinese restaurant.

Thank Post
    The importer has a different name, I can dig it up at school. If you like I could post up a few pictures of them from different angles tomorrow?

13. Thanks to Matus from:

Cooners (24th April 2013)

Thank Post
    that would be great, many thanks

Thank Post
    I have found apple tv doesn't work well with a proxy. It's also pricey when you add up all those classrooms. I use Reflector App for mirroring to projectors and is very cheap and easy to deploy. It has saved me nearly £4000 as I would have needed to buy HDMI to VGA converters for every projector.

Thank Post
    If your using airserver, don't forget its windows 7 only and make sure your network infrastructure can handle it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    If your using airserver, don't forget its windows 7 only and make sure your network infrastructure can handle it.
    No it's not:

•Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or newer
    •Windows Vista or newer

Ben

Thank Post
    I meant that to mean that the majority of us are still on XP ;p (our classroom ones still are)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast