+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Projectors or TV? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They're heavy - 90kg IIRC. Require 3 people to lift.

We have a couple of them around the school here, and the teachers who have them like them.

However, they are still a *little* expensive when your budget is being squeezed. So, we've had to switch to using Epson EB-485Wi projectors which are about £1100 a go. We install them ourselves, as they're put up with a couple of screws. Pair them with a normal whiteboard and you're sorted.

However, you'll want to stop using SMART Notebook with them due to the preposterous pricing of their 'non-SMART license' to use their software on them. (Something like £800 per device per year...).

In an ideal world, I'd be swapping the 65" Clever Touch screens into every room that needs one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_F View Post
    The interactive displays are the best option when having this issue of board to ceiling measurementís.
    The issue we find with our nursery / reception / year 1 classes is that a projector mounted at the top of the board neatly winds up at adult forehead height if you place the board correctly for very small children.

They comewith a 3year onsite re-install de-install warranty which is always a plus withthis kind of solution.
    What, exactly, is a re-install de-install warrenty? Our teachers seem to want half our IWBs moved around each year as classrooms get rearranged and we get children of different sizes being in different classrooms. An adjustable-height stand for screens would be good, but a warrenty that covers someone coming in to move stuff around every year would be handy too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A de-install re-install warranty is one where they come and take it down, take it away, fix it, and then put it back up again...

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

dhicks (14th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They're heavy - 90kg IIRC. Require 3 people to lift.

We have a couple of them around the school here, and the teachers who have them like them.

However, they are still a *little* expensive when your budget is being squeezed. So, we've had to switch to using Epson EB-485Wi projectors which are about £1100 a go. We install them ourselves, as they're put up with a couple of screws. Pair them with a normal whiteboard and you're sorted.

However, you'll want to stop using SMART Notebook with them due to the preposterous pricing of their 'non-SMART license' to use their software on them. (Something like £800 per device per year...).

In an ideal world, I'd be swapping the 65" Clever Touch screens into every room that needs one.
    Yes I think I would too...

I had considered the interactive projectors but the whole SMART Notebook licensing issue put me off. But as I said before I really don't know how many staff actually use it, or whether the Smartboard is just a very expensive projector screen.

I would like to have standard kit across the site but I think that's probably unrealistic given the number of rooms we have, the cost and the fact that manufacturers are constantly updating their product range. I think it's going to be a compromise, however my team will be happy to be rid of the Sahara projectors that need their security keys putting in every time the power goes off, or a pupils switches it off!

Thank Post
    I was told by one firm that the Smart License may be transferable ie- you've already paid the license with your old scrapped s560 board, then replaced it directly with a non-smartboard benq/c-touch screen etc - that "spare" license now counts with your new touchscreen. Not sure how true that is - have been told many conflicting things from different contractor.

Thank Post
    TechMonkey a 65" LCD interactive board (no inbuilt PC) weighs 88 Kgs excluding wall bracket. A 65" Clevertouch includes inbuilt speakers the sound is pretty good for a classroom imo.
    You can get a height adjustable wall mount with extension feet to spread the load on the wall via the floor. I would always recommend this type of install on a wall thats not load bearing to also have a timber patress or big rectangle of min10mm thick wood behind the screens wall mount and ensure that the fixings go into the walls batons or timber frame behind the rooms plasterboard or dry line.

8. Thanks to Atari from:

TechMonkey (24th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exim View Post
    I was told by one firm that the Smart License may be transferable ie- you've already paid the license with your old scrapped s560 board, then replaced it directly with a non-smartboard benq/c-touch screen etc - that "spare" license now counts with your new touchscreen. Not sure how true that is - have been told many conflicting things from different contractor.
    I'm afraid not. Many resellers will tell you that this is the case however legally you are required to buy a collaborative licence for every device being used on the touchscreen. So if you have 50 laptops that you would potentially like to use with touchscreens in your school you would need to buy 50 licences! Just to push this if you do not have a collaborative licence the smart software recognises the PC is attached to a non smart screen and will bring up a watermark across the screen.

Both Smart and Promethean are becoming increasingly aware that their licencing is far too expensive and I know they are making moves to make it more affordable. How and when this will be put out to schools I do not know yet.

Thank Post
    We have a CTouch 65 on a partition wall mounted years ago never had a helpdesk ticket for it. That I cannot say for any other AV device. If we keep Promethean boards in store can we use software?

Thank Post
    Tricky one that. Obviously if you were to ask Promethean their response would be no, however if you didnt update the licences from the current version you were using.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12