+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Thoughts on using TV displays in place of IWBs in Technical; Originally Posted by Alis_Klar Any anecdotal evidence of Wi-Fi networks stuggling under Airplay traffic where multiple AppleTV units are used ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post
    Any anecdotal evidence of Wi-Fi networks stuggling under Airplay traffic where multiple AppleTV units are used i.e 1 per classroom?
    I was actually surprised by how well AirPlay worked on our network - our current wired network (10/100 unmanged switches with 1Gb copper backbone links) is somewhat aged, although we do have a nice new Ruckus system running on top of that (we're replacing both the wiring and the switches this summer). We had 4 iPads all mirroring their screens to the one PC (via AirServer) with good performance. I think this was probably due to the iPads all connecting to a wireless access point that was plugged in to the same switch as the PC was connected to, so there was no network traffic to go bouncing around the network, it all just stayed on the one switch. How you'd organise this happening school-wide, especially for a larger school, I don't know. I did think about trying out a Raspberry Pi acting as its own wireless access point for AirPlay (plug the Raspberry Pi into the projector, connect the iPad to the Pi's own WiFi network), but again oragnising a whole school's worth of those would be tricky.

As far as projectors / IWBs go, we have a lot (two thirds) of our AV equipment to replace this summer, and CTouch / CleverTouch boards are nice but rather expensive. I'm thinking of maybe Mimio's interactive projector, giving us another option for interactivity. We'd probably keep most of our working Smart boards - has anyone installed both Mimio and Smart's software together before?

Thank Post
    You're fine on those numbers... on the other hand we have at least 200 iPads and 50+ AppleTVs, along with all the other mobile devices across all platforms... when you get up to these kind of numbers the Bonjour traffic can be quite horrendous, resulting in devices vanishing off the network as another device has reported it can't be seen thus resulting in all devices dropping it etc.

3. Thanks to Marci from:

dhicks (26th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks, very useful. I didn't think of that - the actual AirPlay / RTSP video streaming part of things is point-to-point, but AirPlay requires the Bonjour discovery protocol to allow iPads to connect to a specific device, so you wind up with broadcast traffic all over the network.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12