+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Podcast/Radio software in Technical; We are making live "radio shows" by broadcasting live over the school PA at my primary school using a fairly ...

Thank Post

Post Podcast/Radio software

We are making live "radio shows" by broadcasting live over the school PA at my primary school using a fairly straightforward set of kit with an ipod plugged for music and the year 6 children running it all.

I would now like to move to recording these on the computer to upload to our school website, we use itunes for the music generally as the kids bring in their iPods with their music and would much prefer to use their own tracks.

I have had a quick look and seen ZaraRadio, Jazler and Sam Broadcaster as ways to put together more professional shows. I downloaded Zara and it looks good but doesn't appear to recognise itunes files- otherwise it looks just what we want. Do any of the solutions work with itunes files?

I can spend some cash if need be on a software solution but we are not planning to set up real live radio, we just want a good way to record shows for uploading as audio files to our Podcast channel or playing on the PA system at lunchtime.

Also what are the regulations for using chart music? Will it be prohibitive, and if so, where can you get music that is free to publish in this way? Currently we have access to Audio Network through the county but most of the kids are most interested in chart music.

Thank Post
    you could try audacity, its free and might do what you ask. i know you're ok to use music for lessons etc but don't know about putting it on the school website.

Thank Post
    Hiya,

If you're recording a live audio stream, I'd recommend Audacity or Audition if you wanted to use something more Professional... Depending on the soundcard in your PC, it will either record "WhatUHear" or you may have to record on a separate PC... either way I'd recommend one of those two...

As for recording chart music, there are definite licensing issues you're not going to get around, regardless of any PRS etc. licenses you've already got for broadcasting the music internally... there's plenty of Royalty Free music, but it's all boring and isn't likely to interest the pupils in the slightest...
    I'd recommend you edit the recordings, removing the music, just leaving the links / talking in...

Thank Post
    Have a look at using mixcloud as this was recommended to us by PRS Radio Weald

Thank Post
    Thanks for those suggestions, hadn't seen mix cloud before.

Talked to the PPL people and an academic year licence for our PA system is 155 plus VAT so we could broadcast copyrighted music in school.

Had a look at Mix Cloud and it seems a good option; as it is streaming and they cover the licences and there are no further costs.

It appears that making the music into podcasts is problematic as it can be downloaded and I suppose they see that as file sharing.

Rang audio network and they have some better music that isn't with PPL and would let us have an annual student licence for primary school for 250 plus VAT and seemed to think that it would okay to podcast. Seems like our LA don't subscribe to it any more

Have used audacity for recording before - like the ZaraRadio dashboard for the feel of real live radio, pulling in pre-made jingles etc as well as the tracks for our live broadcasts.

Thank Post
    JazlerShow uses mp3 or wav files so limits use with files just for iTunes.
    For editing as already suggested Audacity for free or Audition for commercially available software.
    I can recommend Zararadio for a live radio station feel, read more here:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony33hill/radio.htm
    Now retired from radio but you are welcome to PM for free advice.

Thank Post

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Hi Malph,

I think it will be extremely difficult to find radio software that can import iTunes music. iTunes used to use some DRM protected format to prevent the sharing of legally downloaded music. Most radio playout software mentioned here (school radio playout, synergyschoolradio software, Zara, Audacity, Jazler and iTunes - though iTunes is not radio software) will require you to copy MP3, MP2, WAV or OGG files onto a PC, to then access from the playout software.

It is worth noting that students can not (i'll say that again)... can not copy their own music onto the schools computers/radio station computer. This is technically sharing, and something that the school could get into trouble for if found out by licensing authorities. There is not a license I am aware of that cover this. This also goes for teachers, parents etc. If the school wants to use copyright music on its radio station, then you have two options. 1. It can be played 'direct' from an iPod, or from a CD player - This way the music is not being copied/shared onto someone else's device. (Difficult to do if you are recording the music and making podcasts people can download....) 2. The school ideally needs a small budget to own the music it is using on its radio station.

The best way I have found for a school to buy music for a radio station (where the music is copied onto a PC) is through ILikeMusic/Business. These guys offer copyright music at education/charity and no-profit organisation prices. Worth a look. The school pays upfront for 6 months or 12 months access and can download about 300 or 660 music tracks depending on the plan you buy. 6 months is about 150 + vat and 12 months is 300 + vat.

Regulations for copyright music used to be a nightmare in schools but have been simplified over the years and the number of schools with radio stations has grown enormously in the UK. First things first, you need to be covered by PRS and PPL to listen and perform (sing/guitar/piano etc) music within a publicly licensed building. (Definitely check out PRS for Music and PPL UK websites for costs) My understanding is that these licenses will enable you to listen to music within your school (via a radio, CD player, iPod, Radio 1 via a laptop etc) and also to strum a guitar, singing someone else's copyright protected song. Some local authorities/boroughs have this license covered for schools, so worth checking if you are covered before doubling up! - they are not expensive and without this license, technically, you are not supposed to play/perform copyright music in the building... sad...

If you want to broadcast a radio station within your school, synergyschoolradio packages all include streaming software, (should you want to broadcast live to your interactive white boards, iPads, digital signage etc within the school) then you need to get an additional license from PPL UK called a Student Radio License. This also includes a radio station/CD player, iPod etc wired speakers around the school or out in the playground.

The PRS and PPL licenses enable you to listen to music and the Student Radio License enables you to broadcast (within the school) Apparently two different things. Again, the Student Radio License is not expensive and is a yearly cost. You don't have to keep a record of tracks played, it's just a blanket license for the year to broadcast via streaming or wired speakers.

If you want to put your copyright music on-line, so it is available to the public, then further licenses are required! Depending on whether you want to upload podcasts (pre-recorded shows) or stream your radio station live, you will need a streaming/podcast host. When you come to do this, then you are looking at some proper radio station software like Myriad or synergyschoolradio software. Freebie software like Zara I don't remember having this feature but you need the software to report the number of music tracks played and also for the number of connections (listeners connected to your broadcast), and the amount of time your listeners are connected to your broadcast to be logged. Quarterly reports are then sent to the licensing authorities to make sure you are in the right price band. The difference between a lot of free/home developed software is that decent software designed for education will do all of the hard work for you, making it easier for teachers/first-time broadcasters.

All of the licensing comments above only apply to copyright music. If you are not using chart music/copyright free music, then you don't need a license for within your school and internet/podcast broadcasting.

Hope that helps..?

Thank Post
    Radio stations normally hold an MCPS licence which permits the dubbing (copying) of *edit changed or to of * copyright music to a computer based system.

What do the PRS and MCPS Licences cover?

The PRS licence collects licence fees for the public performance and broadcast of musical works. The MCPS collects and distributes 'mechanical' royalties generated from the recording of music onto many different formats. This includes the storage of music on a hard disk or server for direct to air broadcasts.
    What an MCPS Radio Licence typically covers:
    A mechanical licence is required for the right to record MCPS members’ repertoire into:

• Server or other hard-disk storage for subsequent direct-to-air broadcast
    • Non-programme material, but excluding station idents
    • Programmes produced by the radio station for broadcast on its own station
    • Broadcast of production music sound recordings

However, advertisements are excluded from the mechanical licence and must be cleared individually. Use of commercial music in a sponsored item is excluded, where a reasonable person would associate the music with the sponsor. Association can be deemed to exist, for example, where there is a small or no gap between a commercial work and reference to the sponsor.

Radio licensing FAQs
    Radio Broadcasting

With regard to streaming (free software available for this), provided the correct licence is held, stick to streaming within the school buildings to avoid reporting tasks. Reporting can be quite time consuming even when the task is completed within the radio software (which could also incur additional outlay on the software itself).

Copyright free music is perhaps an ambiguous term, I prefer royalty free. However this can attract royalties upfront (rather than PRS/PPL) where a premium is paid for the use of music.

Podcast free music, where an unsigned artist gives permission to use their music without charge can be found. However should they sign to a record label they may withdraw its use without notice.

Podcast licence of commercially made music is available but currently restricts its use by only allowing the first and last few seconds of a music track to be used.
    The advice of a long established internet radio station is to simple pay the relevant licences whatever type of music you use. It saves all the worries and troubles that could arise by the misuse of copyrighted material.

My contact details can be found here if you would like more advice.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony33hill/radio.htm
    Last edited by tonywilding; 18th April 2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread