+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, WiDi / Miracast TVs/Receivers on sale in the UK? in Technical; As an Android/Windows user, I've been waiting for the AppleTV equivalent to arrive for a while now. It appears to ...
    Thank Post

WiDi / Miracast TVs/Receivers on sale in the UK?

As an Android/Windows user, I've been waiting for the AppleTV equivalent to arrive for a while now. It appears to have finally happened with Intel's WiDi/Miracast protocols, but there's not a massive amount of information around regarding devices that use it in the UK. The Intel website lists a load of US TVs and set top boxes that are compatible, but not for us over here

Does anyone know what TVs/devices are on sale over here which are compatible, apart from the Belkin device (which seems to be a bit legacy as it is, only supporting WiDi 2.0, we're on 3.5 now)?

Ta,
    Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    As an Android/Windows user, I've been waiting for the AppleTV equivalent to arrive for a while now. It appears to have finally happened with Intel's WiDi/Miracast protocols, but there's not a massive amount of information around regarding devices that use it in the UK. The Intel website lists a load of US TVs and set top boxes that are compatible, but not for us over here

Does anyone know what TVs/devices are on sale over here which are compatible, apart from the Belkin device (which seems to be a bit legacy as it is, only supporting WiDi 2.0, we're on 3.5 now)?

Ta,
    Ben
    Hi Ben

I've been using WiDi in 3 of my schools now since September. On a most part its been a success and it works so much better than Apple TV. I've been using the Belkin Screencast devices which work a treat in most of my schools. I've also recently had the new Netgear PTV3000 sent to me by Intel to test.

I have had issues though. 1 of my schools use Ubiquity wireless which the Belkin's dont seem to be a fan of. They randomly disconnect and sometimes its difficult to even scan for them. But I've used the PTV3000 and it seems to work alot better.

We use Samsung Slate 7 on Windows 7 and the new Lenovo Twists on Windows 7 and 8 and the teachers love the freedom of it.

Its worth testing out the Belkin to see if its any good, but make sure that your devices are also WiDi compatible!

EDIT: Also a quick note. Though the Belkin devices are being sold as 2.0. They do upgrade to 3.5 on first use. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by LohamTheTech; 5th March 2013 at 01:28 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread