+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Rack mount analog mixer in Technical; We have until Friday, been using a Behringer RX1202FX rackmount mixer in our hall. However, this one (which is a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rack mount analog mixer

We have until Friday, been using a Behringer RX1202FX rackmount mixer in our hall. However, this one (which is a little over 2 years old) has now gone snap, crackle, pop and doesn't work.

So, we need a replacement. We'd be happy to get another of the same (it is only broken due to people fiddling IMO), but availability for them is a little thin. Basically the lead time is 'sometime in the future' at the moment.

So, is there an alternative we can get? The features we need are:

6 channels minimum - 4 for mics, 1 for CD player and 1 for ipods/laptops etc....
    48V phantom power - for 2 of the mics

Also, must be rackmount and fit in a maximum space of about 8U.

So, any suggestions?

Thank Post
    My behringer did the same after teachers turned it up to 11 but mine had a three yr warranty and they fixed it for free (once I got through to their well hidden service portal) and in the meantime I got a Yamaha mixer PPM608 which has been excellent and has scary rotary knobs rather than attractive 'music producer' sliders so doesn't attract the same kind of fiddling tw@ts that broke the first one - I use the Behringer for outside temp events now.
    It sits on a shelf same as the behringer in the rack cabinet but is a bit taller - maybe 6U?

Thank Post
    The Alesis iMultiMix 9R is worth a look!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG View Post
    The Alesis iMultiMix 9R is worth a look!
    Looks perfect. Shame its double the price!

Thank Post
    When we were in a similar situation (the Alesis was out of our budget too) it was a choice between an ART MX622 or Stageline MMX-602. We went with the Stageline but would have preferred the Alesis.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When we were in a similar situation (the Alesis was out of our budget too) it was a choice between an ART MX622 or Stageline MMX-602. We went with the Stageline but would have preferred the Alesis.
    It doesn't look like either of those provide 48V phantom power as far as I can tell?

I've had a look, and I think we may go with the Behringer Rx1602 + a 2 channel 48V PSU for the phantom power. Works out around the same price as the Rx1202FX.

Plus blanking plates. Lots of blanking plates. Electrified blanking plates. They'll fiddle at their peril.

7. Thanks to localzuk from:

john (4th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Ah yes the ever inevitable fiddling fingers, amazing how I get moans of it sounds naff in Drama / Upper Hall (when using a full desk) / Music /Lower Hall and I go over, reset all the knobs on the mixer and then put my phone on and its that sounds good to me and walk off as someone thinks you need to turn the knobs from where I set them to be around right

Best thing I have is this - MX82 its in my main hall and great and has Phantom Power on the mic inputs and phonos for the iPod lead, DVD Player, PC etc and yes it is available in the UK. Can't remember what I paid for it though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It doesn't look like either of those provide 48V phantom power as far as I can tell?

I've had a look, and I think we may go with the Behringer Rx1602 + a 2 channel 48V PSU for the phantom power. Works out around the same price as the Rx1202FX.

Plus blanking plates. Lots of blanking plates. Electrified blanking plates. They'll fiddle at their peril.
    We've got a Stageline MMX-602 in one of our halls. It's basic but it does the job fine. I didn't think it had phantom powered either and we needed to use it to power a DI box. A look through the manual and it does have phantom power! You just need to remove a bunch of screws, take the lid off the unit and then switch a jumper over per channel to provide phantom power.

Thank Post
    You just need to remove a bunch of screws, take the lid off the unit and then switch a jumper over per channel to provide phantom power.
    Cool, you learn something new everyday! I should read manuals more thoroughly !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread