+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Can you recommend a ceiling mounted LED Projector? in Technical; The price of a new lamp for our ageing projectors has us considering the purchase of a new unit. Presumably ...

Thank Post

Can you recommend a ceiling mounted LED Projector?

The price of a new lamp for our ageing projectors has us considering the purchase of a new unit. Presumably LED is the way forward, do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks for your time and advice.

Thank Post
    Hi
    We have a ceiling mounted projector in our Main Hall. Every time we need to change bulb, we need to HIRE a CHERRY PICKER to get that done as any ladder would be to high and H&S wouldn't allow the care takers to do that themselves on a ladder. And since we don't own a cherry picker, we have to hire it. So be warned about that "hidden" cost!

Thank Post
    For general classroom use Casio xj-m130 we have gone with these in all our classrooms

4. Thanks to mdench from:

jwc_007 (15th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QWERTY72 View Post
    Hi
    We have a ceiling mounted projector in our Main Hall. Every time we need to change bulb, we need to HIRE a CHERRY PICKER to get that done as any ladder would be to high and H&S wouldn't allow the care takers to do that themselves on a ladder. And since we don't own a cherry picker, we have to hire it. So be warned about that "hidden" cost!
    Not really what was asked and it wouldn't be a "hidden" cost with a projector that doesn't have a lamp if you had one mounted in a hall?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How large is your hall, how large do you want the image to be (diagonally), and how bright is the hall?

The best LED/Laser projectors I've seen hit 3000 lumens, which is fine for *some* halls, but no use for others. Our hall projector is about 4000 lumens IIRC, and it could do with being a little brighter (it is a traditional projector though).

Thank Post
    I'm the same as 'mdench', we also use Casio xj-m130 in our classrooms. I found the first release of Casio LED's, although slightly slimmer were quite noisy) whereas the later models (xjm) are much better. I also use 2 of these to project on to massive screens in our sports hall for our speech day presentation once a year using a vga splitter and they work great (hope that helps)

8. Thanks to rickypike from:

Thank Post
    How large is your hall, how large do you want the image to be (diagonally), and how bright is the hall?

The best LED/Laser projectors I've seen hit 3000 lumens, which is fine for *some* halls, but no use for others. Our hall projector is about 4000 lumens IIRC, and it could do with being a little brighter (it is a traditional projector though).

These would be primarily for classroom use. However, you have me thinking now. Our hall projector is very dim. The hall is 20m long by 16m wide, the image would need to be about 3m diagonally and due to two large wonderfully placed ceiling spot lamps, the area of projected image is quite bright.
    Last edited by jwc_007; 15th February 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Thank Post
    As localzuk said some LED projectors may be ok for certain halls depending on shape/size/lighting etc. I found for our main gym hall (assembly every week so lots of PPT's!) we stuck with a LCD XGA Hitachi (4000 lumens) as the Casio was just not bright enough to do the job (2500 lumens).

11. Thanks to rickypike from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For a classroom, the Casio range are ideal - Home - CASIO Projectors

Choose according to brightness - 2500 lumens is about as bright as you'd want to go, 2000 lumens is ideal, as it reduces the chance of dazzling, however it could be dull if the room has bright lighting (some of our rooms have roof windows so are very bright naturally).

I've just noticed that they now do a 4000 lumens model too, which would suit for your hall I'd say.
    Last edited by localzuk; 15th February 2013 at 12:08 PM.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Yes look at something like the casio -XJ-H1700 - awesome projector

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a casio short throw projector just fitted this week in our hall. Awesome, throws a 4m image from 2m away. Same thing, we need to get out scaffolding (we have our own) which is a pain. Thankfully the bulb never needed changing in the old small Panasonic that was up there!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Casios for sure, in classrooms we have XJ-A130, A140, M130, M135 and A131s (yes got a few different models now!)

We have tried to standardise on the M130s now as they just seem to be great however had a cracking offer before Christmas on the A131s which are the new eco-models of the original A130s which we have a few of so took advantage of them being about £40 a unit less than the M130s. The ones with the wireless built in are for our Conference and Library so gives scope for wireless presentations both areas have dedicated PCs but you never know when you might want that option

For my halls I am still using traditional lamped units, one has an NEC 5000 lumens unit and the other an Epson that is about 4000 lunmens I think and both are good, I don't think the LED kit is quite up to that specific need just yet and they have limited inputs on them compared to the big units we have already (our NEC has about 7 different inputs into it which is great for presentations, school events etc... so the Casio would be very limiting for us.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts
    The problem with the 1700 pro series of Casio is that the zoom is only 1.2x not 2 x like the slim series.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread