+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Behringer Digital Snake S16 in Technical; Hello all, we are currently looking into relocating our multicore for our main soundsystem (building is only 3 years old ...
    Thank Post

Behringer Digital Snake S16

Hello all,

we are currently looking into relocating our multicore for our main soundsystem (building is only 3 years old but multicore is just int he wrong place) I was thinking instead of paying for another multicore to the ground level from the current first floor location or getting 2 of these Behringer: DIGITAL SNAKE S16 and getting CAT6 run between the 2 sites, or even using it with a brand new X32 mixer.

The problem is I have has very little experience in Digital Snakes and was wondering if anyone has had any experience. Or should i still be looking at getting a detachable wall mounted multicore for the new high traffic area where we would like it to be.

all suggestions and opinions welcome, but I cannot go for fibre and break the bank on this one if i want a nice shiny new 5k server

Thank Post
    I've not used this particular system, but:

You probably need to factor in the ease of use of the overall system, who is going to be using it etc. These projects can outlast staff, and future staff may not have the required training.

Analog multicores are much simpler to use. Also, if you already have a high quality sound desk, replacing it with a Behringer desk/snake may result in a drop in overall sound quality. It would be helpful to know what mixer you have in order to make a better recommendation. In pro sound systems, digital does not equal quality. The biggest factor is the ability of the end user. You also want to make sure you have high quality pre-amps.

In the past, I would have been reluctant to recommend Behringer for this sort of thing. They make some very good products (their cable tester is one of the best i've found, and the compressors arn't bad.) They also make some rubbish quality stuff, and some of it is quite hard to use (their lighting desks spring to mind). Based on my experience, I wouldn't expect this to be a very good system. But having said that, they have bought Midas and Klark Technic, who make some very nice kit.

Digital sound desks may allow for some automation and remote control, but that may or may not be useful for your requirements.

Personally, I would get a demo, or at least find someone who will let you play with their kit.
    Last edited by Chris_Cook; 4th February 2013 at 09:05 PM.

3. Thanks to Chris_Cook from:

BKGarry (4th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thank you Chris_Cook. I was thinking about not using the mixing desk and just using a D Snake at both end. Allowing us to use our traditional mixing desk and keeping the current multicore but using it to extend (I know it may diminish the quality) to our current location. I would love to keep it analogue all the way through. But I am finding it hard to find a supplier to do what we would want (a large din type plug to be kept locked up and break out cables for when we want to connect it to the desk) I do like our current desk but cannot remember the make/model from ontop of my head

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread