+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Video editing suite. in Technical; My school has bought a very nice professional Canon camera for our new media students. We also ordered Avid Studio ...

Thank Post

Video editing suite.

My school has bought a very nice professional Canon camera for our new media students. We also ordered Avid Studio at 150~ for 5 licenses. However the company who produced it was bought out and consequentally stopped offering that software.

We just need something fairly featured for as cheap as we can get it! What have you guys used which could fit the bill? I was looking at Sony movie studio platinum, but it has been a long time since I last used video editing software.

We are running Windows 7.

Cheers in advance!

R
    Last edited by Asomodai; 17th January 2013 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Sony Vegas Movie Studio suite can be purchased as a site licence for education for around 580. I purchased my own copy for home use a while back and love it; very easy to use. We've got a site license here for CS4 with Premiere, but it's a monster and just fills up users AppData folders; thankfully not many people use it.

Pete

Thank Post
    Good good, I should have also mentioned, only 5 licenses are required and the laptops will be standalone, no network connections.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    The Sony Vegas Movie Studio suite can be purchased as a site licence for education for around 580. I purchased my own copy for home use a while back and love it; very easy to use. We've got a site license here for CS4 with Premiere, but it's a monster and just fills up users AppData folders; thankfully not many people use it.

Pete
    The AppData issue is easily cured by setting up your Projects correctly in Premier Pro We had this issue and with roaming profiles the logons took hours before our new Juniper network and now they zoom past anyway. You have some settings in the project about the video cache (Cannot remember where off the top of my head) but you set them to your documents folder as well and all is good. We tell students to make a Media folder and then a folder in that for each project / task and inside that make the cache files and you are all good. AppData issues are no-more

5. Thanks to john from:

FragglePete (22nd January 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm Adobe through and through because that's what I was brought up with. However, unless it sits on its own personal little computer, that has equivalent power to Deep Thought, it tends to get unhappy and crash a lot (by it, I mean anything from Elements to CS6). The real world of media still tend to use Apple products and Final Cut Pro. So, unless you can offer them that, you may as well use Movie Maker or other cheap and cheerful products. In some ways that's a good thing because it will teach them real-time editing. By that, I mean planning their shoots to minimise the amount of editing they need to do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    The AppData issue is easily cured by setting up your Projects correctly in Premier Pro We had this issue and with roaming profiles the logons took hours before our new Juniper network and now they zoom past anyway. You have some settings in the project about the video cache (Cannot remember where off the top of my head) but you set them to your documents folder as well and all is good. We tell students to make a Media folder and then a folder in that for each project / task and inside that make the cache files and you are all good. AppData issues are no-more
    You get the option right at the start of setting up a new project when telling it where to setup scratch disks to etc

8. Thanks to RTFM from:

john (21st January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    You get the option right at the start of setting up a new project when telling it where to setup scratch disks to etc
    Those are the ones you can change mid-project as well and it moves the files over

Thank Post
    We buy Adobe Photoshop & Premier Elements when we did our media suite. Although looking at what they have to produce there is no reason they couldn't get full marks using movie maker or some online video editor.

Thank Post
    So did a bit more digging into the situation. Our camera uses only Canon MXF files. This greatly reduces our choices to either Edius 6.5 or CS6 Premiere. Apparently there has been some problems with premiere and Canon MXF files, anyone care to chime in on their experiences?

The Edius trial is working well.
    Last edited by Asomodai; 22nd January 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Thank Post
    It's been a few years since i bought new AV kit, but one of the reasons we bought HD home user stuff, was it compatibility with most basic editing programs. If you're using a pro camera, then it often requires pro software to decode the footage.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you could convert the MXF to a more common format, and then use simpler tools.
    We used to use Serif Movie Plus, as it can be run on a fairly low end pc, has some nice tools, and we found it more stable than any other windows based video editors.

That said, we did use Macs, Final Cut Pro, and Adobe CS4 for the more adventurous.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread