+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Viewing a .VID file. in Technical; Hi, I'm trying to put some CCTV footage from the system onto disc to be viewed by SLT , but ...
    Thank Post

Question Viewing a .VID file.

Hi,

I'm trying to put some CCTV footage from the system onto disc to be viewed by SLT, but the issue is when I run the backup to get a file from the DVR to be viewed, the file is a .VID file.

After some research I discovered this was a general file extension for a video of any format and should open with most video players, but it doesn't. I've tried VLC, WMP, Realplayer and Quicktime to no avail. I've also tried converting it with WinFF with no luck. The file may need to be viewed offsite so just streaming it from the DVR isn't an option, plus the footage will only be on there for a limited time. The CCTV software also doesn't have a playback option for saved footage, or an option to save as another format (that I can see).

The software is Plush264 that we use for the CCTV here, there's another called QCMS installed but it doesn't seem to have as many features.

If anyone has suggestions on how the .VID file can be viewed or converted to a viewable file I will be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by gtg93; 23rd November 2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: To correct my atrocious spelling

Thank Post
    You should be able to rename a .VID file to .MOV and then view it!

3. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

gtg93 (23rd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Nope I forgot to mention I'd tried renaming it to .avi / .mp4 / .mpg / .wmv (the more common ones) but I never thought of .MOV. Just tried it with no luck.

Thanks anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried cracking open one of the files in a text editor and looking for any common strings at the start of the file which you can search for online. Also does the DVR have any software avalible for viewing the DVR files or the DVR itself?

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    With it being CCTV footage, have you tried (a 3 day trial of) this software?

https://upload.siraview.com/app?oper...170A61A10uE43Z

AFAIK, that's the software that some Police Authorities use to view CCTV footage submitted to them as part of investigations.

8. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Have you tried cracking open one of the files in a text editor...
    I've only tried with bog standard notepad and it locks up the PC. I will try with a better text editor.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Also does the DVR have any software avalible for viewing the DVR files or the DVR itself?
    If you try going to the IP in the web browser, the Plush software is launched. The DVRs are in a cupboard I don't have the keys to so will need to get access to have a look what I can do from the DVR its self as it's a new system we've had installed.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    With it being CCTV footage, have you tried (a 3 day trial of) this software?
    No such look. This also reports that the format is unknown.

Thanks for your help so far

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    I've only tried with bog standard notepad and it locks up the PC. I will try with a better text editor.

If you try going to the IP in the web browser, the Plush software is launched. The DVRs are in a cupboard I don't have the keys to so will need to get access to have a look what I can do from the DVR its self as it's a new system we've had installed.
    Yea, sorry, should have said not to bother with notepad. It tries to load the whole thing into memory in the most inefficient way possible. Another text editor may be much better.

If you have physical access to it it may even have a local interface and dvd writer to output stuff depending on what type it has.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    it may even have a local interface and dvd writer to output stuff
    I've managed to take a look and it has but for some reason the relevant menu won't open. I'll try a restart at some point.

I have managed to solve the problem... Kind of.

Within the program, you have to archive the data to your PC to get the .VID file, but then you need to archive the .VID file from within the software to a memory stick. What it then does on the memory stick is installs a little program along with the .VID file and you launch the exe to play any of the .VID files you have archived from the DVR... If that makes sense?

A good idea in a way but it would be much simpler to just output and MP4/AVI file if you were to ask me.

Thanks for all your help. I'll just have to output to a Memory stick and copy the program onto the computers for those that require it or onto a DVD ^^
    Last edited by gtg93; 23rd November 2012 at 02:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Have you tried opening with GOM?

14. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    or onto a DVD ^^
    Good to hear you got it solved. Was just suggesting DVD as it would have then output it to a standard and easy to meddle with format instead of whatever it uses instead.

16. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Have you tried opening with GOM?
    No, but I'll definitely give it a try.

... as it would have then output it to a standard and easy to meddle with format instead.
    Totally agree - going to take a better look when I've got a bit more time. Got what we needed for now but there must be a better way to do it.

Thanks for all your help ^^

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread