+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Apple TV's and projectors in Technical; Hi, We are a large school and we have gone done the route of iPads for the teaching staff with ...

Thank Post

Apple TV's and projectors

Hi,

We are a large school and we have gone done the route of iPads for the teaching staff with the aim of each kid having their own device.

We have also gone down the AppleTV route of getting the iPads to display via our projectors.
    Unfortunately this has meant getting an HDMI + VGA and Audio -> VGA and audio switch.
    While this works well we have only installed around 25 units and there are issues with the setup.
    One being that HDCP compliance comes into it and some apps/videos will not show correctly.
    It is also messy around the PC as it is adding numerous cables to the current setup.

We are looking forward to the summer when we do our major works and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for projectors?

My thought is to go for HDMI projectors, but with some sort of audio out function so that we can feed the amps/speakers that are already installed in the rooms. the speakers on a projector are never that great in either quality or volume. This would also add the fun of running HDMI cables down older promethean all in one boards

by the way the iPads were not our (the IT dept) idea, SMT have made all the decisions and we are left to pick up the pieces.

Thanks
    J

Thank Post
    I'd recommend the Casio XJ-M140 LED projectors. Run HDMI to them for the Apple TV, and VGA and 3.5mm jack for audio, then a 3.5mm jack out of the projector to your amp for audio. Then if you select the HDMI input you'll get your Apple TV displayed on the projector and sound sent out via the 3.5mm jack to your amp and speakers.

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    If you have pc's in each room next to the projector why not play the IPad through AirServer onto the desktop and then through to the Projector?

Thank Post
    I'll be honest and say i'm not the biggest fan of the LED projectors from what i have seen. I'm not convinced the lifespan of the product is what they say but i could be wrong. But also alot of these projectors would need to be short throw to fit onto existing promethean units.

If we went for airserver we would need wireless dongles for all our PC's and would still need to replace projectors that are old, i'm hoping for as much of an all in one solution that i can get.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_nais View Post
    If we went for airserver we would need wireless dongles for all our PC's and would still need to replace projectors that are old, i'm hoping for as much of an all in one solution that i can get.
    As long as the wireless IPads and desktops where on the safe subnet and can see each other a normal ethernet connection will work.

Thank Post
    I had the hdcp message pop up on a few of ours and have the same setup you have by the sound of it. We got round it my dropping the resolution of the apple tv to hd ready or below on 50 Hz, cleared up a few of our issues. Just a thought.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    If you have pc's in each room next to the projector why not play the IPad through AirServer onto the desktop and then through to the Projector?

+1 for AirServer looks like you may have bought 25 Apple TV's, HDMI to VGA converters and or new projectors for no real benefit. We have been trailing AirServer now with the 40 or so iPads we have and so far it has proved to work well. We paid about £38 for 15 licenses so its a lot cheaper than the Apple alternative and it works with all existing kit just one piece of software to install on the PC. One other plus (I don't know if the Apple TV does this) is that you can connect multiple iPads or iPhones to the AirServer for collaborative work. It is also password protected like the Apple TV to stop just anyone connecting.

Thank Post
    We have just put Airserver on to a couple of of classroom PC's, our wireless is very adhoc and we created a little script to prevent it running at log in but it worked a treat and we intend to deploy in our new school buildings if SMT force us to get more Ipads. We also bought 15 licences as it didn't make send to buy just one

Thank Post
    Has anyone done away with the desktop PC and just had tablet projector classrooms?

Thank Post
    Hiyah we were asked to get some Apple TV's working .... Luckily our projectors had an HDMI input so the video was easy to setup ... our only problem was that they would not project 1080p. We reduced the res down to 780p and all was well ... We purchased some optical to analogue converters for around £15.00 each I think and connected them to the Apple TV via an optical cable. 2 phono leads to our existing amp and the sound was working OK ... We tested airserver and found that it was slightly more laggy than the Apple TV. This may have been because of the older laptops attatched to the whiteboards. Maybe a nice I7 would be better !!!!

Thank Post
    unfortunately our wireless is a managed site wide (two sites) network so is on different subnets to our wired connections.
    So unfortunately AirParrot is not a solution for us at the moment.

Thank Post
    If you are using Ipads with projectors - take a look at Displaynote! DisplayNote - Present. Share. Collaborate.

Thank Post
    nice plug... I have seen display note working and it is a great system.
    Again however the PC and ipads need to all be on wireless. Pcs are not at present and network manager would not be happy putting all our network traffic over wireless....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread