+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Cubase E6 gurus help needed!!! in Technical; OK before I go completely doolally!!! W7 with Cubase E6 and external Scarlett 2i2 USB soundcard. Networked workstations. Logged on ...

Thank Post

Angry Cubase E6 gurus help needed!!!

OK before I go completely doolally!!!

W7 with Cubase E6 and external Scarlett 2i2 USB soundcard. Networked workstations. Logged on locally with admin rights and set up (not without difficulty!!!!) .... import a midi file to test ...... works sweetly. I smile ...... only 20 more machines to do.

Log-on as student to check and set up with same device and VST settings. Import same midi file but instead of it playing properly I just get a regular bleep (so there is sound output!!) . Checked and rechecked settings. Can see no difference between the two setups.

Anyone any ideas before I go postal. Steinberg support about as much use as a three speed walking stick!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @SteveT:

Did you install manually or deploy through GPO?

If you installed manually did you tick the box in the install GUI which says "Install for all users"?

I'm just running through what we did as we also had difficulties with this software.

Here are a few more tips:
    The first things to do when you startup Cubase:

1. ASIO driver in VST Audiosystem
    If you own a dedicated soundcard make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest driver for this device from the website of the respective manufacturer.
    In Cubase go to "Devices--> Device Setup--> VST Audiosystem" and select the ASIO driver for your soundcard.

If you do not have a dedicated soundcard you should use the "Generic Low Latency" ASIO driver.
    You might even get better performance if you download, install and use the free "ASIO4ALL" from "www.ASIO4ALL.com" driver. Close Cubase, download and install the ASIO4ALL driver, start Cubase and select the ASIO4ALL driver at "Devices--> Device Setup--> VST Audiosystem". Most systems perform better with the ASIO4ALL driver.

In "Devices--> Device Setup" you will find that the ASIO driver you have selected is listed beneath "VST Audiosystem". By clicking on the driver at this point and then clicking on the "Control Panel" button that particular page you will be able to open the ASIO driver specific control panel. You should at least have peak at these settings to get familiar with them. But don’t change anything if you are not sure what you are doing.

2. VST Connections
    The VST Connections are very important!
    After you have set up the ASIO driver you must set up the "VST Connections" under "Devices--> VST Connections".

The "VST Connections" are to connect the virtual buses in Cubase with the physical inputs and outputs of your hardware inputs and outputs.

Setting up the Cubase Output for Monitoring
    To get started the "Output" tab in the VST Connections is the most important because only if you set this up correctly you will be able to hear the Cubase output.

Click on "File--> Import--> Audio File" and import an Audio File.
    After you have imported an Audio File hit "Play" and check if you can hear the playback.
    Open "Devices--> VST Connections" and click on the output tab. Now assign the virtual "Stereo Out" with the physical output of your soundcard by clicking next to it in the device port column. In some cases the device port can already be assigned correctly. If you have our speakers connect to output 1 and output 2 of your hardware you would have to connect this to the stereo out bus in the vst connections .

Simplified this is how the Signal flows when it comes to playing back audio on an audio track:
    Audio Track in Cubase (flows to) --> "Stereo Out" Masterfader in Cubase (flows to) --> Physical Outputs of your soundcard that you have connected with the virtual "stereo out" in the VST Connections (flows to)--> the speakers or headphones that you have connected to the physical outputs of your soundcard.

Setting up the Cubase Inputs for recording
    Connect Mic/Guitar to physical input of your soundcard.
    Open "Device--> VST Connections" and click on the input tab.
    Click on the input tab and create a virtual mono bus "Mono In".
    Now you must connect the virtual "Mono Bus" with the physical Input of your soundcard by clicking next to it in the "Device Port" column.
    Create a new empty audio track "project--> Add Track--> Audio --> Mono".
    Make sure that you have the virtual input bus connected to that track. For the track it should say "Mono In" as Input and "Stereo Out" as output

Simplified this is how the signal flows when it comes to recording:
    From Mic/Guitar to physical Mono input of soundcard flows to--> virtual Mono Bus flows to --> Audio Track that has the virtual "Mono Bus" defined as Input in the inspector--> write to disk.
    ---------------------------
    Be aware that you can find more help if you open Cubase and click in the upper right in the menu bar on "Help-->Documentation". If you choose the "Getting Started" guide you will also find more introducing information to Cubase. The "Recording Audio" and "Recording MIDI" section in the "Getting Started" guide will help you with your first recordings in Cubase.

Hope this helps?

Thank Post
    Thanks but I've already tried this and other suggestions from the Steinberg forums. Key questions are:

1. Since I've already set this up and tested successfully when logged on locally as administrator why doesn't it work using the same settings when logged on to the network as a student?
    2. Could it be a permissions issue? Was installed for "all users". Are our security settings blocking something?
    3. Metronome plays when logged on as a student but not the imported midi file. This would indicate that settings are correct for audio output!

Weird!!!!

Thank Post
    This is great stuff

May I ask a couple of questions

I have no profile's set for student's and then run a remove local profile script at shutdown so each time a new profile is created.
    These settings are never remembered and need to be performed each time and for some younger students this can take up more than half a lesson just getting it set correctly.

I had the idea of creating a default profile and then replacing the local default profile with my configured profile so this is the one that gets applied to a new user.
    Here is a sweet guide I used for that Here's how to create a Default Profile without using SysPrep - Windows 7 Forums

Now having made these changes it works for changes like power, taskbar items and also office 2010 (first user run etc)
    Cubase does not and all the settings need to be provided (I checked in the default appdata folder and it is populated with Steinberg Cubase folders)

Any Ideas or suggestions?

How do you manage this for students?

Many thanks
    C

Thank Post
    from Cubase Elements 6: Some audio files are missing

Just to update, we heard back from Steinberg support and they say they will not assist with PCs that are run on a network as it's not supported (!).

has anyone in the edugeek world managed to get this working on networked machines??

Thank Post
    Bump

Anyone?

Thank Post
    I can see I'm way late replying here but i have the following setup:

1 user account "Cubase" and I have setup all the audio VST etc (they all run on the same type PC's)
    Then I took a copy of the Local App Data\ Steinberg files into netlogon and used GPP and Item level targeting to produce the files onto the computer they login to.
    No reason this couldn't be applied to multiple users that login to any given machine, would just need to strip out the user credential parts. Not sure if there could be some steinberg bits in the AppData Roaming folder too but no reason that couldnt be deployed in the same way.

Something else I had an issue with was VSTI's. To make these statuary I dumped the .vstsound files into C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VSTSound\ on all of the PC's with Steinberg installed. (a lot of space required for this on each local C: )

There is sometimes the odd glitch where it doesnt use the correct driver but have 1 or 2 in a class of 30 with an issue is a whole lot better than getting 30 students to setup these bits.

Hope this helps you Steve,
    Tom.
    Last edited by TomClay; 12th March 2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Not a smiley face

Thank Post
    Hi Tom, You say you dumped the .vstsoundfiles into programdata.... Where are these files you dumped located? ---- EDITED: Just now found the VST Sound folder on the Disc in the Additional Content folder (5.4GB) - I assume this is what your taking about?
    Last edited by chrisalltraine; 19th March 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Thank Post
    On the installations disc, D:\Cubase LE AI Elements 6 for Windows\Additional Content\VST Sound\*****.vstsound

You will note that I have Elements 6 and i have no idea if its moved for 7 or 6 Full edition.
    Tom.

Thank Post
    Got It! thanks for the speedy reply...

Thank Post
    Very Welcome

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread