+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Classroom video camera to record lessons in Technical; There are a few (VERY EXPENSIVE) classroom video/audio recording tools (for teachers to video their own lessons and then watch ...

Thank Post

Classroom video camera to record lessons

There are a few (VERY EXPENSIVE) classroom video/audio recording tools (for teachers to video their own lessons and then watch them back afterwards)

One of my heads wants to try this out but without having to spend 8k !

Anyone using (or can suggest) a cheap(er) option - pref looking at something that can cover 360 degrees with a couple of wireless mikes.

Examples of what I'm talking about
    Camera Systems - Products - IRIS Connect

regards

Simon
    PS Would the Edugeek BETT Stand camera do this?

Thank Post
    what about just putting a normal video camera in the corner of the room on a shelf?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Mobotix MX-Q24M-Sec-N11 360 degree IP dome camera -

If it has the ability to hook up an external mic then that could do it I guess but they're not cheap in the first place.

Ben

Thank Post
    we use two sony bloggie cameras and the mic coverage is ok, it's a bit of a faf to then edit it back together again though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    pref looking at something that can cover 360 degrees
    A decent camera pointing at a ceiling-mounted reversing mirror (about 20 off eBay)?

Thank Post
    2 or 4 camera CCTV/DVR systems would be a lot cheaper than 8k. Able to view back all camera footage at the same time.

Thank Post
    One of our staff is using an IPAD with teachers doing training here so they record the lesson then review after and make suggestions whats good whats bad etc then delete the video I thought this was quite a good idea and seems to work well. We had a look at various ways of doing this but wanted soomething good quality and something video not stored but instant feed back.

8. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

SchTechGuy (27th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

The solution has basically got to be easy-peasy to setup and use (e.g no 3rd person/techy) - just stick camera (or laptop with a webcam) in a corner and connect up 2 wireless mics and press record.

The Motobix one (which looks like the one Edugeek uses at BETT) might be the one for the job - or maybe just a very wide angle webcam would do the job .
    What about suggestions for some wireless mics that could feed into a laptop or the external mic connector on a camera?

Simon

Thank Post

Give Iris a chance

Hi,
    I think you've missed the point of Iris Connect. It's an entire system not just a camera. We have the system at Cramlington Learning Village and it's brilliant.

While you can just put a camcorder in the room, that removes the most powerful bits of the Iris system. Observing teachers can watch the lesson live without being in the room. In normal lesson observations, a senior teacher sitting at the back of the room completely changes student behaviour. With any camera system, the students quickly ignore the camera and you get a much more accurate snapshop of the teaching and learning. I dread to think how distracting it could be to have a teacher "playing" (as the kids would see it) with an iPad at the back of the room. With live remote viewing, the observing teacher is able to view AND make comments on the lesson as its happening. These comments are automatically timestamped to the video. After the lesson, these timestamps allow the viewer to jump to that point of the lesson to see the comment in context. This alone is massively powerful and one of the major factors which led us to buy Iris.

Two other huge benefits are the lack of technical management required and the secure nature of the videos. Setting a camcorder up a room is easy enough, but someone has to get the files from the camcorder, copy them to DVD or network area, convert them if they are too large etc... None of which will provide secure protection for the students or teachers. Yes, you can place them where students cannot access the videos, but you still have a file that can be transferred. And what if you have teachers uncomfortable with their colleagues "judging" them. So that rules out general areas. Do you drop the videos into individual's network storage? What if two teachers want to watch it? Multiple copies? It all leads to a massive headache. And of course, all this happens without the observation forms being kept with to the video. With the Iris system all the security and file managing is handled for you. The observed teacher "owns" the observation, can make their own comments and can invite others to view it. I encourage our teachers to record multiple lessons, choose the one they are happiest with then invite a senior teacher to officially observe that. None have gone that far yet, but the suggestion takes a load of pressure off them.

I've been managing our Iris system for three years it is truly easy. The system links to the camera, the recording PC records then automatically uploads the video. Biggest "issue" I have is remembering to charge the mic.

SimpleSi - do yourself a massive favour and let the head investigate Iris. Be in the sales meeting and contact me if you have any questions. Just call Cramlington www.cramlingtonlv.co.uk - 01670 712 311 and ask for the web designers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Hi,
    I think you've missed the point of Iris Connect. It's an entire system not just a camera. We have the system at Cramlington Learning Village and it's brilliant.

While you can just put a camcorder in the room, that removes the most powerful bits of the Iris system. Observing teachers can watch the lesson live without being in the room.
    Most of the suggestions have been based around ip cameras not camcorders therefore there is no need to d/l footage.

I don't think he's missed the point of the commercial system at all just that it's too expensive for them.

What about Xprotect Go that gives you an ip based dvr system that's free for up to 8 cameras and gives you user access control on who can watch what cameras and who can playback what footage?

Ben

Thank Post
    Fair point regarding IP cams, but the file management and security issues still apply

Thank Post
    Not when deploying a solution like Xprotect they don't.

Ben

Thank Post
    And what about the observation forms and video ownership? I'm sure Xprotect is a good system, but it's not designed for Teacher Observation. Yes, you can build a cheaper system, but within a year, I'll bet you'll be fed up of managing it. Three years in and Iris is still the easiest system I have to deal with.

Thank Post
    Fair point regarding IP cams, but the file management and security issues still apply
    And what about the observation forms and video ownership? I'm sure Xprotect is a good system, but it's not designed for Teacher Observation. Yes, you can build a cheaper system, but within a year, I'll bet you'll be fed up of managing it. Three years in and Iris is still the easiest system I have to deal with.
    Yes I agree that from that point of view the iris system probably wins but the OP may be happy to sacrifce that part of the functionality for a much cheaper setup.

Ben

Thank Post
    What's the legal position on this? A good number of our classrooms contain pupils with a "do not photograph" order. When we had Teachers' TV in filming a class, we had to get parental consent for every pupil.

We do have CCTV but nobody is recognisable on that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast