+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Projector with or without HDMI? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RA4ME View Post
    This is an interesting thread.

Whilst I appreciate cost is important, nobody has mentioned the fact that conventional projectors with MERCURY CORE LAMPS are really bad fo the environment, so whilst saving money initially by buying this type of technology over Mecury Free Laser LED, they are creating a bigger problem for everyone in the future. !!

Also the simple maths.............

Conventional Projector Cost. =£400 (average)
    Minimum amount of lamps over 20,000 hours (if it lasts that long) = 5
    Minimum cost of 5 Lamps = £1000
    Total = £1400.

Laser Led Projector Cost = £650 (avarage)
    Lamps...................er it does have one & has a 20,000 light source warranty.
    Total = £650.............& no MERCURY added into the environment !

The other inconvenience with conventional projectors is having to actually physically replace the lamps every 4000 hours (remove from installed position to carry this out) & then go through all the correct procedures of disposing of the old Mercury Core Lamp (check it out)

In conclusion, its a NO BRAINER !!
    I wouldnt say the math is that simple
    Interestingly Casio now only have a 5 year warranty on the unit and only a 10,000 hour warranty on the light source.
    Seems like the claims they made intially are slowly getting less and less.

plus single DLP projectors really are not great for education.

Thank Post
    Hi there, the expected life time of the Casio light source is 20,000 hours. The warranty on the light source has always been 10,000 hours. This January we upped our hardware warranty from 3 years to 5 years meaning that the projector had a fully wrapped 5 year / 10,000 hour warranty.

I am keen to understand and try and assist with the issues surrounding reliability. Please let me know more detail.

Regards

Phil

Thank Post
    Just wanted to take the chance to cover off the pixel issue. When you see dead pixels in the image (could be black / green / red / blue). This is a failure of the DLP chip which was acknowledged by Texas instruments who provide this chip to all manufacturers. Texas Instruments are covering the cost of replacement parts for Casio allowing us to repair the units and return them to customers as quickly as possible. This is in no way a failure of the light source inside the Casio unit. This issue is actually around 2 years old however we are still seeing the occasional failure which as highlighted earlier we are repairing and returning to the customer as quickly as possible.

Thank Post
    Regarding life span. We have a bar in which Casio projectors (specifically the XJ-A145) have been running for 13,000 hours. These projectors are still bright and vibrant providing an excellent viewing experience for customers. If you want to see them in situ. Yates Wine Lodge, High Street, Bedford, Bedfordshire.

Thank Post
    Recently we have been buying BenQ MX660's for our Maths Department as they are going down the route of using an iPad with Apple TV's for streaming images instead of forking out £600+ on document viewers/visualizers. So in turn we are slowly upgrading projectors to have HDMI connectivity to cover ourselves in case other departments want to do the same. Currently have 3 departments with iPads hooked up to Apple TV's.

So if I was you, I'd purchase HDMI ready projectors.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We have some Casio's and they are simply not reliable enough. We have opted not to use them in the new building next year.
    Mainly over heating and cutting out. Also had some we have had the colour issues.

The servive has been really good though. Replacements arrived fast.

Thank Post
    Mainly over heating and cutting out. Also had some we have had the colour issues.

The servive has been really good though. Replacements arrived fast.
    Can I ask how the units are mounted? Are they in cages? Also, colour issue. Could you define colour issue?

Thank Post
    Mainly over heating and cutting out.
    I thought that had been addressed? We originally bought A130 models until our supplier suggested the M130 due to the over-heating, but I was under the impression that the A130 overheating had been resolved - perhaps @philclark could comment...

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=jon_nais;901444Casio now only have a 5 year warranty on the unit and only a 10,000 hour warranty on the light source.[/QUOTE]

Firstly, length of warranty does not always equate to lifespan of product.

Secondly, even if it does transpire that the Casio projectors only run for 10,000 hours not the advertised 20,000 hours, the maths is still in their favour (pasting and editing RA4ME's above calculations):
    Conventional Projector Cost. =£400 (average)
    Minimum amount of lamps over 10,000 hours (if it lasts that long) = 3
    Minimum cost of 3 Lamps = £600
    Total = £1000.

Laser Led Projector Cost = £650 (avarage)
    Lamps...................er it does have one & has a 10,000 light source warranty.
    Total = £650.

You then have the other benefits. RA4ME has already pointed out one environmental benefit, another is that they are lower energy; additionally, there is the risk when a bulb goes that you will no longer be able to replace it and might have to replace the projector itself, at which point you have potential issues with lamp position, bracket type, power cable type, etc. When you then factor in the zero-maintenance of the Casio and that the image doesn't degrade over time, you have a very appealing product.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123