+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Projector with or without HDMI? in Technical; Originally Posted by fiza Mainly price but also I have heard the Casios develop colour issues after a time. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/av-mul...endations.html ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Mainly price but also I have heard the Casios develop colour issues after a time.

Projector Recommendations

The price issue is very big for us. We can get Epsons with 5 year Warranty and 3 year lamp warranty for less than half the price of the casio.
    Still need to know what the benefit of having the HDMI connection on a projector is?
    5 Year warranty on the Casio's and I had over 35 of them and none had developed a fault with the Colour - had one issue with an input but that was resolved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    We've had 2 Casios develop missing pixel problems two years apart. Both returned to Casio and sorted out under guarantee without problem.

No colour issues. They're wonderful projectors... they behave much better than the conventional ones and are worth every penny IMO.

Thank Post
    just remeber for apple tvs only 25 apple tvs on a network

Thank Post
    Why HDMI? This...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You shouldn't even be considering VGA-only projectors!

Leading PC manufacturers dropping VGA support by 2015
    Casios - TCO is lower than conventional. They are around £600 now which is near enough the same price for 5 years warranty when you consider a conventional lamp projector is £350 for 3 years. Then add in the fact that to replace the 3 year old lamp projector costs time/money/permits to work. Even doing it yourself can be a pain - lamp on wrong side, different IEC connection, different mounting bolts, vga cable doesn't quite reach...

Then you take into account the consistent image quality you get year on year; no blue/yellow tint due to cooked mirrors, still bright after year 2. Sensible default settings, sensible menus... and if we are lucky they will last the full 20,000 hours which, if I'm getting my maths right, is 17 years @6hours/day * 195days/year!

BUT personally I can't stand DLP technology as I can see the rainbow. It actually starts to make my eyes go funny.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 7th November 2012 at 08:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    They are around £600 now which is near enough the same price for 5 years warranty when you consider a conventional lamp projector is £350 for 3 years.
    Which models are £600?

Thank Post
    I already have some Ultrabooks which only have HDMI and you have to buy a HDMI to VGA adaptor.
    I think you've answered your own question, in that case!

Thank Post
    Does anyone have a particular Casio model that they favour? ... Just so I can do some pricce and spec comparisons. ... Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Casios - TCO is lower than conventional. They are around £600 now which is near enough the same price for 5 years warranty when you consider a conventional lamp projector is £350 for 3 years. Then add in the fact that to replace the 3 year old lamp projector costs time/money/permits to work. Even doing it yourself can be a pain - lamp on wrong side, different IEC connection, different mounting bolts, vga cable doesn't quite reach...

Then you take into account the consistent image quality you get year on year; no blue/yellow tint due to cooked mirrors, still bright after year 2. Sensible default settings, sensible menus... and if we are lucky they will last the full 20,000 hours which, if I'm getting my maths right, is 17 years @6hours/day * 195days/year!
    Thanks, saved me the effort of typing all that!

Has anyone used a projector for 20,000 to say yes "the image quality is exactly the same as the day we bought it"?
    No, I'm sure they haven't, BUT, when any projector manufacturer releases a new product and says "lasts for 5000 hours", I'm sure they haven't actually tested that either.

Plus, even if that 20000 hours is wrong by 100% and you actually only get 10000 hours (and let's be honest, it won't be THAT wrong) you're still saving money compared to bulb projectors.

Thank Post
    We're trying to standardise on HDMI connections for staff. We'll get a few VGA> HDMI adapters for the ones who don't have HDMI on their laptop. It makes for a tidy, single connection to the projector.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Does anyone have a particular Casio model that they favour? ... Just so I can do some pricce and spec comparisons. ... Thanks
    We use the M140 or is it A140? Considering a 3000 Lumen one for use in one particularly bright room.

Thank Post
    Which models are £600?
    xj-a130 and xj-m130 but I have seen the 135 for less than £650. Get in touch with your supply managers. One of ours often comes to us saying "casio have a great offer on, they are now £605, if you buy in the next few days...". Whether casio really do have an offer on or not I don't know... or care.

iirc normal price of around £625.

Thank Post
    We have a handful of XJA130's for probably getting on for 2 years now & they are bright still & colours still seem fine. Issuesne had what we thought was a remote fault,sent it back no fault found, turned out to be florescent lights in that room interfered with the remote, they have to be off for it to work!
    Just have another that needs to go back with what I think is the classic DLP failure issue, white/black specs over the image from DLP chip fault, still in warranty so that should get sorted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alemanyorks View Post
    We have a handful of XJA130's for probably getting on for 2 years now & they are bright still & colours still seem fine. Issuesne had what we thought was a remote fault,sent it back no fault found, turned out to be florescent lights in that room interfered with the remote, they have to be off for it to work!
    Just have another that needs to go back with what I think is the classic DLP failure issue, white/black specs over the image from DLP chip fault, still in warranty so that should get sorted.

This is an interesting thread.

Whilst I appreciate cost is important, nobody has mentioned the fact that conventional projectors with MERCURY CORE LAMPS are really bad fo the environment, so whilst saving money initially by buying this type of technology over Mecury Free Laser LED, they are creating a bigger problem for everyone in the future. !!

Also the simple maths.............

Conventional Projector Cost. =£400 (average)
    Minimum amount of lamps over 20,000 hours (if it lasts that long) = 5
    Minimum cost of 5 Lamps = £1000
    Total = £1400.

Laser Led Projector Cost = £650 (avarage)
    Lamps...................er it does have one & has a 20,000 light source warranty.
    Total = £650.............& no MERCURY added into the environment !

The other inconvenience with conventional projectors is having to actually physically replace the lamps every 4000 hours (remove from installed position to carry this out) & then go through all the correct procedures of disposing of the old Mercury Core Lamp (check it out)

In conclusion, its a NO BRAINER !!
    Last edited by RA4ME; 30th November 2012 at 09:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have some Casio's and they are simply not reliable enough. We have opted not to use them in the new building next year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We have some Casio's and they are simply not reliable enough. We have opted not to use them in the new building next year.
    @FN-GM Some more info would be appreciated. What issues have you come across?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast