+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Sharing a DVD Drive so the whole school can watch a single DVD in Technical; Right then, I was asked if I could possibly rip a DVD and put it on the network for people ...
    Thank Post

Sharing a DVD Drive so the whole school can watch a single DVD

Right then, I was asked if I could possibly rip a DVD and put it on the network for people to view in our upcoming Eid day activities at the school. Obviously, I pointed out that this was HIGHLY illegal and I wasn't going to do it (change of media let alone standard copyright stuff).

Anyway, I've been thinking about this and I wondered if anyone had thoughts about sharing a DVD drive, so I pop the DVD into a machine hooked up the network, share that drive out to users so they can then view the DVD on their machine around the school. This obviously doesn't get effected by the change of media things, and technically as it's being played from the DVD it shouldn't effect anything else that I can think of, but I thought I would run it past you guys to see if anyone has any thoughts / other suggestions.

The DVD in question is Aladdin by the way. So I'm just trying to find a solution instead of being a no man.

Ta all
    Andy T

Thank Post
    Surely a DVD is single access as each "viewer" would be wanting to read from a different segment on the same disk with only one laser?

Thank Post
    Could you use some kind of media streaming server like this?

http://www.live555.com/vobStreamer/

this may also help: http://randomitstuff.com/2011/05/28/...her-on-any-os/

Steve
    Last edited by MGSTech; 22nd October 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MGSTech View Post
    Surely a DVD is single access as each "viewer" would be wanting to read from a different segment on the same disk with only one laser?
    I realise it's not ideal, but technically it should work (after all, that was a big way of running CD based software back in the day - and probably still is in a lot of places)

Could you use some kind of media streaming server like this?

vobStreamer - a network DVD player application
    This would involve a change of media in that it needs to rip the VOB files from the DVD first, which is one thing I was trying to avoid as I know this is a biggy.

Basically, I don't want to be the guy who says no to everything, but I'd rather be the guy who finds solutions to issues - it's just in my nature. But whilst saying yes, I don't want to open myself up to anything that could cause issues with legality, which is why for now I've said no, but if I manage to sort a solution out I can go and meet with the staff member in question and say "right, I know I said no, but I've been having a think..."

Thank Post
    Enter VLC:

VLC is the little media player that could. I figured if Windows media center can stream media, then surely VLC must have figured it out at least five years earlier. Turns out they had! The feature has been in vlc from the very beginning. A quick search took me an Engadget post from 2005! VLC will let you stream just about anything to just about anything! So yes I can stream from my laptop to my Revo nettop within my home network, or I could even stream over the web, to my work mac. I could even stream to my android phone! I could even stream to a file!, making VLC an excellent free DVD Ripper. Here is the tutorial form Engadget’s blog showing how to steam across a home network. The example uses a file but it works just as well streaming a live DVD.

Once you install VLC and start the program you will be greeted by this lightweight frontend..

the rest is on my second link above...

6. Thanks to MGSTech from:

soveryapt (22nd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Enter VLC:

VLC is the little media player that could. I figured if Windows media center can stream media, then surely VLC must have figured it out at least five years earlier. Turns out they had! The feature has been in vlc from the very beginning. A quick search took me an Engadget post from 2005! VLC will let you stream just about anything to just about anything! So yes I can stream from my laptop to my Revo nettop within my home network, or I could even stream over the web, to my work mac. I could even stream to my android phone! I could even stream to a file!, making VLC an excellent free DVD Ripper. Here is the tutorial form Engadget’s blog showing how to steam across a home network. The example uses a file but it works just as well streaming a live DVD.

Once you install VLC and start the program you will be greeted by this lightweight frontend..

the rest is on my second link above...
    This would just stream it though meaning that the school could watch it, but if someone joined late, they'd have to simply watch from where it's at? (I think I've read that right). I mean, it's a step towards so it might be the only solution I can offer, but ideally, I need a multistream so that people can join when they want and watch on demand if you like.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    This would just stream it though meaning that the school could watch it, but if someone joined late, they'd have to simply watch from where it's at? (I think I've read that right). I mean, it's a step towards so it might be the only solution I can offer, but ideally, I need a multistream so that people can join when they want and watch on demand if you like.
    Don't want much do ya!, so now I need to find software to replicate a sky on demand service!.......you may have a long wait !! ;-)

Steve

9. Thanks to MGSTech from:

Thank Post
    Streaming Live or On-Demand Video from IIS7 to iOS Devices (iPhone/iPad) and Silverlight Clients - Scott Hanselman

I don't think you will get away from having to rip the DVD as a source to be honest....
    Last edited by MGSTech; 22nd October 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless you have a copy write exemption/agreement for public showing then your breaking the law anyway, either rip it and share it that way or don't bother. Teachers will break copy write every which way they can, they are physically unable to understand it as it is covered in lobotomy 101, a required course at teachers training collage.

Thank Post
    Don't want much do ya!, so now I need to find software to replicate a sky on demand service!.......you may have a long wait !! ;-)

Steve
    My mummy always taught me if you don't ask you don't get .. lol ..

Streaming Live or On-Demand Video from IIS7 to iOS Devices (iPhone/iPad) and Silverlight Clients - Scott Hanselman

I don't think you will get away from having to rip the DVD as a source to be honest....
    Looks that way doesn't it ..

Thank Post
    As above really, rip and show or just say no (im a poet and i dont know it).

14. Thanks to Max_Power from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Unless you have a copy write exemption/agreement for public showing then your breaking the law anyway, either rip it and share it that way or don't bother. Teachers will break copy write every which way they can, they are physically unable to understand it as it is covered in lobotomy 101, a required course at teachers training collage.
    We have the lovely license thing for showing DVDs in school, so that's why I'm looking more into it instead of turning the blind eye to end of year DVD shows etc.

And as for the breaking of copyright law, don't I just know it .. so much music on the server which of course the school owns the CDs for .. hmmm .. yeah .. *blind eye turned as I need SLT backing to change that ethos!*

Thank Post
    I'm sure our license to play says we can only show video for educational purposes not entertainment....so all those videos at the end of term we get asked to sort out....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    As above really, rip and show or just say no (im a poet and i dont know it).
    Just say no .. I thought that was a cheesy 1980's video message from the cast of Grange Hill .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Basically, I don't want to be the guy who says no to everything, but I'd rather be the guy who finds solutions to issues
    I know where you're comming from as far too often the answer ends up as a no, more often than not because people's expectations are so unrealistic or the technology dosen't exist yet! :-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast