+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Sharing a DVD Drive so the whole school can watch a single DVD in Technical; If you're going to rip the DVD (I wouldn't) then VLC will play an ISO directly. Personally I'm struggling to ...

Thank Post
    If you're going to rip the DVD (I wouldn't) then VLC will play an ISO directly.

Personally I'm struggling to remember anything to do with Eid in Aladdin, and so the idea of showing it seems faintly racist; a bit like showing "The Wiz" on Martin Luther King Day because "it's got black people in it". Could be very mistaken, of course - I only watched it once; far too much Robin Williams for my liking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    If you're going to rip the DVD (I wouldn't) then VLC will play an ISO directly.

Personally I'm struggling to remember anything to do with Eid in Aladdin, and so the idea of showing it seems faintly racist; a bit like showing "The Wiz" on Martin Luther King Day because "it's got black people in it". Could be very mistaken, of course - I only watched it once; far too much Robin Williams for my liking.
    It's ok, this has been muted by other members of the ICT team, but as the celebration day is being organised by a muslim member of staff, I can only assume is tradition to watch it or something.

I think that ultimately, this is going to remain a no. I might do a small scale test in the ICT lab to see if I can do the shared DVD thing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MGSTech View Post
    I'm sure our license to play says we can only show video for educational purposes not entertainment....so all those videos at the end of term we get asked to sort out....
    We have one of those "you can play DVDs to a public audience" licenses - I can't remember the exact name of thing, but I had it flashed to me one day by the head to see if I needed copy, I just said nope, just need to know we've got it so I can support that kind of thing .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Do they have to watch the whole thing or just a certain section? If just a section then you can rip that bit and as long as you mark it up and attribute it properly then you are covered for educational purposes. If it is the whole thing then check if you have the PRS license (I think). I know our Bursar asks for a termly list of videos shown not for educational reasons to submit a claim.

***EDIT***: Just asked, it is the PVSL that allows this.
    Last edited by TechMonkey; 22nd October 2012 at 04:28 PM.

5. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

soveryapt (22nd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Hang on! If schools are showing vaguely (at best) related DVDs to tie in with religious festivals, surely every May the 4th we should be getting to watch "Star Wars" at work? It is the UK's fourth largest religion, after all. Apparently more people stated "Jedi" on the census than "Judaism", and I'm sure all schools cover Jewish religious observances...
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 22nd October 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Poor HTML formatting

7. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Do they have to watch the whole thing or just a certain section? If just a section then you can rip that bit and as long as you mark it up and attribute it properly then you are covered for educational purposes. If it is the whole thing then check if you have the PRS license (I think). I know our Bursar asks for a termly list of videos shown not for educational reasons to submit a claim.

***EDIT***: Just asked, it is the PVSL that allows this.
    THAT'S THE ONE .. PVSL.. we have one of them! lol ..

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Hang on! If schools are showing vaguely (at best) related DVDs to tie in with religious festivals, surely every May the 4th we should be getting to watch "Star Wars" at work? It [B]is[B] the UK's fourth largest religion, after all. Apparently more people stated "Jedi" on the census than "Judaism", and I'm sure all schools cover Jewish religious observances...
    lol .. I like it .. I like it a lot!

Thank Post
    All this and its only Monday !!!!

Thank Post
    You won't have a chance of sharing the disc for playback - it just won't work. You'd be able to view the film on one remote machine, but any other trying to read from another section of disc will just cause it to stutter like mad. Would be a similar result if you ripped it to HDD and everyone watched it with VLC or similar - streaming the content sounds like the only way (legal or not though!)

11. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    All this and its only Monday !!!!
    Welcome to the last week of the half term! lol .. (well for us at least, I don't know about the rest of you!)

Just had a look and apparently a PRS license may be needed in certain circumstances:

PRS Licence
    Please note that where a film is screened with the film soundtrack, a PRS Licence is generally required. Please refer to PRS for Music for full details or seek independent legal advice.
    But I've checked this before and we're covered for that so ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    You won't have a chance of sharing the disc for playback - it just won't work. You'd be able to view the film on one remote machine, but any other trying to read from another section of disc will just cause it to stutter like mad. Would be a similar result if you ripped it to HDD and everyone watched it with VLC or similar - streaming the content sounds like the only way (legal or not though!)
    I'll stick with legal .. lol .. which I think on this occasion it won't be .. Meh .. ah well ..

Thank Post
    Even if the streaming could be made to work, you still have the issue that you only have one copy of the DVD therefore copyright only permits one viewing. No?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You know the BPI & FACT et all offer nice fat bounties for whistle blowers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    You know the BPI & FACT et all offer nice fat bounties for whistle blowers.
    + £5000 or more

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure our license to play says we can only show video for educational purposes not entertainment....so all those videos at the end of term we get asked to sort out....
    You don't need any licence to show a film educationally; it's covered as an exemption under copyright law. You can show Romeo + Juliet in English whilst you're studying that book without needing anything other than a legal copy of the film.

To show it in Geography at the end of term for entertainment, though, requires either the PVSL licence (major studios) or MPLC licence (smaller studios), and you cannot charge money for any showings under these licences in any way - so no free entry and selling food, for example.

More info @ Copyright & Schools: photocopy, scan, screen or broadcast copyright resources in classrooms - simple advice for teachers (relevant quote: "There is an educational exemption which states that if a film is screened as part of the curriculum, a copyright licence is not required. Performing, playing or showing copyright works in a school, university or other educational establishment, for educational purposes applies if the audience is limited to teachers, pupils and others directly connected with the curriculum activities of the establishment. Examples of this are showing a 'King Lear' title as part of a Shakespeare study course.") or in the attached PDF: copyright_licensing_in_schools_jan10.pdf

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    You don't need any licence to show a film educationally
    Therein lies the rub: this particular use is pretty dubious as education. Given the criticism that was levelled at the film for racial stereotyping (didn't they have to change the lyrics to one of the songs after complaints?) I'm surprised that it's now considered a Muslim tradition.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast