+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Interactive Projectors in Technical; We installed about 20 short through interactive projectors by Optoma. The pens, even after firmware updates and a new version ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We installed about 20 short through interactive projectors by Optoma. The pens, even after firmware updates and a new version of the pen, while immensely better than the first go around, are no match for an interactive board. Aside from the weight and batteries associated with the pens, accuracy is a big issue and you need a very steady hand to use it. You can forget about trying to write legibly too. If this wasn't an issue enough, the reflective surface of the whiteboard messes with the pen and will send the cursor flying off the screen at random. The technology is a good idea in theory, but not very practical in practice. Get a board of some flavor.

Thank Post
    I have used a Hitachi interactive projector, and I had the same issues many people report here now, the pens aren't accurate etc, the batteries die to fast.

We bought 3 Smart LightRaise projectors (cost more) but the pens are much better, and very accurate, you don't need a stable hand to use them at all. They also charge via a USB, so no problem with batteries, as long as your staff can be trusted to charge them.

Thank Post
    If your using the board for projection you are still using their equip and if you have bought a licence for use on your computer.....hmmm i guess you see where im going but, i am sure they will say you MUST have a new licence but i think its very gray area..........
    So they are saying if you ONLY change the projector you MUST buy new software even if you still have our board on the wall?
    I would love to see it challenged, and my money would be on the school winning.

But im not a lawyer and its only my opinion.

what a wondrful world we live in............

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    Last edited by Marc-Engineer; 23rd October 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post
    If your using the board for projection you are still using their equip and if you have bought a licence for use on your computer.....hmmm i guess you see where im going but, i am sure they will say you MUST have a new licence but i think its very gray area..........
    So they are saying if you ONLY change the projector you MUST buy new software even if you still have our board on the wall?

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    The software now has a watermark feature, that supposedly will display on non-smart interactive devices without a license to do it properly. Now, I've not tested this but have been assured that if it doesn't exist it will soon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    If you change the projector & continue to use the board your are licenced to use the ActivInspire software. If you turn the board off or unplug the serial/usb cable to the PC & continue to use the board as a projection screen with a 3rd party interactive projector you are not licenced. That is what our LA BSF Procurement team were told by Promethean.
    The ActivInspire licence you get with the board entitles you to use the software with the board. If you buy seperate ActivInspire Professional licences(one per user), you can use them on any hardware.

I cannot comment about Smart.
    Last edited by broc; 23rd October 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Thank Post
    We are going through the same convoluted discussions in our school, we have a new school being built with over 40 classrooms but as we currently give staff an extended desktop they can display classroom work to students while taking registers and checking emails on their primary monitor without displaying them to an entire class for obvious security/child safety reasons.

we already knew from a demo last year that the Smart lightraise 40w was not interactive when on the secondary monitor/projector and were pinning our hopes on the Epson 475wi but found out yesterday that it also cannot be used interactively on the second monitor, it has been referred to Epson but I'm not expecting any quick solutions

Does anyone else here know of or use extended desktops as opposed to mirroring and has an alternative interactive device?

Also we dont want to take our existing 20 Smartboards and do not want to pay for Smart notebook licence for every room so we are also looking for software that can open smart files we know of RM easiteach any other ?

Thank Post
    Interesting we mirror our projectors so didn't realise that a second screen might not be interactive. I have never tried, though I might try this lunchtime just so I can see for myself to be honest because that sounds like a really poor feature.

You can save the smart files as powerpoints but that kind of defeats the points of them being interactive.

Thank Post
    The staff attitude to our single solitary epson interactive projector is:

"it's Ok... But it's not a smart board"

And most of them abandon trying to use it interactively within days.

We only have it because its trolley mounted and in a really flimsy portakabin which I refused to hang anything in!

Thank Post
    Thank you for your replies, interestingly I dug out an Old ebeam (classic) and installed the software and it worked on the extended desktop not sure about the software or the pen sensitivity , I'm sure its a matters of the right kind of drivers it just depends if any other manufacturers can do it

Thank Post
    Just to add another thing, they don't work very well in any kind of bright sunlight. We have the epsons installed and have noticed this problem.

Thank Post
    You normally use what ever software you want with them either the Promeathian or Smart an interactive projector is no different to a whiteboard or any make they are just a mouse.
    I was speaking to someone from StoneComputers who thinks at some point the Smartboard software will not work if it does not detect the hardware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I was speaking to someone from StoneComputers who thinks at some point the Smartboard software will not work if it does not detect the hardware.
    As far as I know, it'll be placing a watermark on the screen if it doesn't detect a board. However, I don't think they've implemented it yet. Also, you can buy a Smart collaborative license, but you have to buy them every year, and at 700+ per license, each year, they aren't cheap!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    The pens are big and expensive, also they are laggy. The batteries only last 2 months (which sound ok until the lessson starts and noone has an AA about) The pens being so laggy and large it makes handwriting all but impossible (Primary school speed and size would be ok). They don't touch my old as heck Promethean Boards for speed and accuracy. The USB ones work as fast as you can move the pen making them a real viable alternative to a whiteboard.
    I would like to update this thread. I've changed my opinon totally. The pens are slow only in Epsons own software ,use them as a pen in say powerpoint and they work great. The pens are not clumsy when you get used to them and don't cost the earth. The other bonus is that the bulbs for these projectors are 80! Cheap... So I now Recommend. (I bought 12 more over the holidays at only 945 each) Projections from 70" plus!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    These are what we appear to have settled on ourselves too. We now have 5 of these in place and we haven't had any complaints from any of the staff using them.

The main thing with them is the ease of installation. We put them in ourselves now, rather than 300 or whatever for installation of long throw models and the cost of boards on top.

Thank Post
    yeap, that's the other cool thing they are easy to self install. The line audio out can be controlled via the remote so you can use the projectors volume control for your external speakers. (I use the EDIS 15) They come with a 4.5m power cable and a 5m usb lead. (I also buy these cool vga and 3.5mm audio combined lead) so it's easy to put the cables in trunking and around the whiteboard.

The only gotya is when using existing whiteboards you may find they're not always perfectly flat!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast