+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Projector - Total cost of ownership in Technical; Hi All We are currently looking at projectors for a new build. I am trying to do a TCO exercise ...

Thank Post

Projector - Total cost of ownership

Hi All

We are currently looking at projectors for a new build. I am trying to do a TCO exercise comparing both LED Projectors such as Casio XJ-ST145 vs a Promethean DLP Projector.

Obviously Casio is alot more expensive than the DLP but has the benefit of not needing replacements lamps. Neither require filter cleaning but how often should a projector be serviced? and would this differ between the two?

The only benefit seems to be the lamp repalcement, but I would expect only to replace the lamp once or maybe twice over of a 5 year period which does not justify the extra cost.

How would the image degradation over 5 years compare for these two devices? Casio claims to keep keep a consistent image quality but as I have never had one I wouldn't know for sure.

Any infor to help with the decision or TCO would be great.

Regards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    @mshill:

Have you taken into account the electrical cost, especially as the Casio model you have listed has 3 eco settings which use very little power as opposed to the Promethean DLP projector, add this up over 5 years and you will see a vast saving in electricity usage especially when the Casio shuts down automatically after 10 mins when no input from the computer.

Bulb projectors usually deteriorate after 6 months usage but Casio keep going strong, my oldest is just over 2 years old but is as good as when we first bought it.

Another factor is that the Casio model you stated has the capacity for wireless connection via a wireless dongle, admittedly albeit through software built by Casio.

We now have 37 Casio's throughout the school and looking at replacing another 15 units which would make us completely Casio.

Also we have had just 2 failures but through CPLTD we have had no problems in getting these units repaired and quickly too.

Anything else you would like to ask feel free

3. 2 Thanks to bossman:

Chris_ (16th October 2012), CPLTD (16th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I know it's probably a bit biased given it's written by Casio, but they have a TCO calculator on their site at Low TCO - CASIO Projectors - make sure you use the Advanced setting though as they take into account the technicians salary as being part of the saving because you won't need a technician to replace the bulbs .. hmm .. like I say, a bit biased, but if you use it well it might help you with figures ..

Thank Post
    Hi bossman

Thats good to hear that after two years the quality is still good. In terms of maintainance do you need to get them serviced at all or plan to get them internally cleaned? I understand that they are filterless but would expect dust to still get into the projector.

Are you using them with Promethean boards? and for your assumptions on a replacement cycle are you expecting to use them longer than five years?

Regards

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Casio is the only projector anyone should be buying these days.

They are a complete game changer in terms of technology.

Its all we buy now. The costs must be cheaper over say 5 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Casio is the only projector anyone should be buying these days.

They are a complete game changer in terms of technology.

Its all we buy now. The costs must be cheaper over say 5 years.
    Interesting you should say that. Our finance officer is not so keen on them now, since my predecessor bought some Epson EB485WI projectors.

Due to reduced hassle basically. With the traditional projector + board + install, its a faff to get installed. Whereas an EB485WI can be installed in about an hour by anyone, and projects onto any white surface.

Thank Post
    Do Casio do an UST?

We don't buy conventional projectors as we have had numerous members of staff complain that the projector shining in their face was causing headaches and eye problems. Every new projector we install is UST for those health and safety issues, and also because our walls are much less problematic to attach to than our ceilings, saving us significantly on install costs. We also use UST as they are installed lower and can therefore have lamps changed and filters cleaned with nothing more than a kick stool meaning our support staff don't need to be ladder trained saving another hidden cost. Our filter change interval is 500 hours on the eda-220 and 1000 hours on the 221.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Interesting you should say that. Our finance officer is not so keen on them now, since my predecessor bought some Epson EB485WI projectors.

Due to reduced hassle basically. With the traditional projector + board + install, its a faff to get installed. Whereas an EB485WI can be installed in about an hour by anyone, and projects onto any white surface.
    Yep we use the Epsons as well in places that don't have projector mounts.

I just love the fact the Casio's run forever. We now have one in our main hall and it looks amazing. Must be 4 and a half meters wide and the brightness is incredible.

Thank Post
    I've recently had a similar discussion and CLT had the idea of leasing projectors to save money replacing older projectors. I'm personally never keen on leasing anything, but wondered if anyone else had done any investigation into this? I've googled a bit but not found much so far...

MTIA,

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post
    I've recently had a similar discussion and CLT had the idea of leasing projectors to save money replacing older projectors. I'm personally never keen on leasing anything, but wondered if anyone else had done any investigation into this? I've googled a bit but not found much so far...

MTIA,

Meldrew
    The rules with leasing are pretty strict now. 3 year maximum lease, operating only (ie. they take it away at the end), and the DfE also have a bunch of guidelines - for example, the life of the lease can't be the majority of the working life of the device(s), the lease can't come to more than 90% of the value of the device(s) etc...

So, whilst it is probably true that you could lease them, I don't think it'd be the best value way of doing it. I'd be more inclined to figure out the 5 year cost of projectors, chop it into fifths and then spend that yearly to replace a fifth of the projectors etc...

Thank Post
    Hmmm wish i could agree.... unfortunatly we have had to replace some lamps in the casios (yes they are NOT lampless) (if you look under you will see where you replace them) and i also know of 2 that cought fire, i dont belive long term they are worth the money as opposed to say an Epson X11 at £300 ish with 5 year lamp cover and on site engineer cover? (including SAME DAY swap out).

Oh and NEVER use a DLP for a school they are not reliable enough, and when they fail, they are to costly to repair.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    Last edited by Marc-Engineer; 17th October 2012 at 11:14 AM.

13. Thanks to Marc-Engineer from:

Oaktech (17th October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread