+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, How to get rid of VGA ghosting problem in Technical; Very recently i came to know about the various cables that can be used to connect ur laptop to ur ...

Thank Post

Post How to get rid of VGA ghosting problem

Very recently i came to know about the various cables that can be used to connect ur laptop to ur tv.However i found out that there was only one vga port on my laptop and also my lcd tv,so i had to buy a vga to vga cable(about 1m long),however i am finding transparent ghost images produced by the cable and im sure its not the monitor or tv.So i searched for the solution everywhere on the internet and the only thing i could find is keeping the cable away from other wires and reducing electromagnetic interference.This sure reduced its effect to a minimal level but i was wondering whether there is a way to totally remove this ghosting effect?Would a vgi to hdmi converted give me a perfect result?Or is there something else i can do?I am ready to spend a few bucks for the perfect picture.i also know about the ferrite coated cables but not sure whether it would be the PERFECT solution.

Heres info about my laptop

Compaq Presario CQ56-206SA Notebook PC Product Specifications Compaq Presario CQ56-206SA Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

my tv has 3 hdmi ports,2 usb ports and a vga port

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The VGA port you have is possibly analogue only which means you would need to get a powered converter to transform the signal to digital to be fed to the TV. If your VGA is digital output then you can convert using a dongle and that could remove the ghosting issue I *think*
    Could you possibly post a picture of the ghosting effect?

3. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

downloaderfan (27th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    If your VGA is digital output
    VGA is 100% analogue. Are you thinking of DVI-I or HDMI?

Thank Post

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    The VGA port you have is possibly analogue only which means you would need to get a powered converter to transform the signal to digital to be fed to the TV. If your VGA is digital output then you can convert using a dongle and that could remove the ghosting issue I *think*
    Could you possibly post a picture of the ghosting effect?
    Thanks for the quick reply,ZeroHour the two images i have posted below are not mine but they look similar to the issue im facing here,so u should get an idea of how images look on my tv

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/3...1254590st1.jpg
    http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/1...1260170xo1.jpg

and i agree with arthur,there is no digital vga,its only analogue

BTW by a powered converted do u mean a vga to hdmi converter?I dont much about this stuff,but i just watched a video on youtube about how a vga to hdmi converter looks,it requires a vga cable as well as an hdmi cable,so im worried about the ghosting effect not disappearing as first the vga cable would transfer the analogue electronic signals with a little bit of ghosting effect to the converter and that would be converted to digital by the converter and displayed on my tv screen.

Can it happen?Or is it something silly to think about?
    Last edited by downloaderfan; 26th September 2012 at 08:50 PM.

Thank Post
    You using a cheap VGA cable? Mind at 1m long it would have to be really bloody cheap to cause that (I have seen cables that cheap mind but rarely).

7. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    You using a cheap VGA cable? Mind at 1m long it would have to be really bloody cheap to cause that (I have seen cables that cheap mind but rarely).
    well,the shop i went didnt have much variety in these cables so i really dont know the rates,but i do think its cheap..but some adjustments in the wire and the ghost imaging is almost gone but still visible,would the costlier ones be that perfect?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    There are several solutions to this - buy shielded/gold plated VGA cable and secondly, use a powered VGA splitter. This does make all the difference.

10. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There are several solutions to this - buy shielded/gold plated VGA cable and secondly, use a powered VGA splitter. This does make all the difference.
    What is a powered vga splitter?Is this one of them?
    http://www.thewebsqueeze.com/wp-cont...8/splitter.jpg
    My laptop and tv both have only one vga port...I really tried searching more about powered vga splitter over the internet but not getting much information about it..How would it help?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downloaderfan View Post
    What is a powered vga splitter?
    Powered VGA splitters look like the box shown below (they are sometimes called "VGA boosters" too). If you search for "350MHz VGA Splitter" you should be able to find somewhere that sells one in India.

Quote Originally Posted by downloaderfan View Post
    How would it help?
    In your case, you would only be using the splitter as a way to boost the VGA signal, rather than to show things on two displays. You will also need two VGA cables - one to connect the PC to the splitter (VGA In) and another to go from the splitter to the TV (VGA Out).

I often use powered splitters when I need to connect a laptop up to a projector that has a 10m-15m VGA cable. Without the splitter/booster, the laptop will either not display anything on the projector or the image will be distorted in some way.

Personally, I would try a different VGA cable first since the distance between your PC and TV is really short.
    Last edited by Arthur; 27th September 2012 at 07:24 AM.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Yep Arthur's post is spot on.

Thank Post
    thanks a lot arthur,michael,j17sparky and zerohour...

I would buy a buy a seperate gold plated vga cable first as mentioned by michael,and then if the ghosting still appears i would buy a vga splitter...however considering the words used by j17sparky,it seems that a costlier one wouldnt give me any effect at all at such a short distance...i hope that now my videos would just look the way they looked when i played them through usb...thanks a lot again..

btw just to mention,this is first time i have ever joined a forum to solve my problems and the result i got was quick and tremendous,im looking forward to sharing the little knowledge i have about computers and at the same time learning more about how stuff work...

Keep up the good work...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    VGA is 100% analogue. Are you thinking of DVI-I or HDMI?
    Yep had a brain fart moment...

Thanks for the kind comments downloaderfan, I hope you enjoy your stay here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've been getting ghosting with a lot of older machines that have unpowered VGA splitters (Y-Cables). Rather than go down the route of a fully powered splitter which takes up a mains socket we've had very good results with USB powered ones.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Por...8754755&sr=8-1

I also find that some newer laptops seem to react worse than older ones with these and often won't display an image at all - I wonder if it's down to the expectations of TFT screens rather than CRT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    We've been getting ghosting with a lot of older machines that have unpowered VGA splitters (Y-Cables). Rather than go down the route of a fully powered splitter which takes up a mains socket we've had very good results with USB powered ones.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Por...8754755&sr=8-1

I also find that some newer laptops seem to react worse than older ones with these and often won't display an image at all - I wonder if it's down to the expectations of TFT screens rather than CRT.
    ok now,would i really need a vga powered splitter or usb powered vga splitter for a short distance of only 1m?Cuz considering the range of the power products i find on the internet(about 20-30m and sometimes even more),1m is too short...

Thank Post
    It is down to the quality of the cable good leads are screened and then also the individual video and sync wires are screened again you would have no problem with a lead like this for up to 50 Mtrs make sure your lead had the wrap around ferrite core at each end within one inch of the VGA plug.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast