+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Smart Notebook 11 annotate in non-SmartTech applications in Technical; I moved some PCs over to SmartTech Notebook and Tools 11 but one of the staff has pointed out that ...

Thank Post

Smart Notebook 11 annotate in non-SmartTech applications

I moved some PCs over to SmartTech Notebook and Tools 11 but one of the staff has pointed out that you can no longer just grab a coloured Smart pen,from the pen tray, and annotate over non-native Smart applications, instead you have to fire the Smart Ink application. The problem I have here is that not only to you have to fire the Smart Ink application but you also then need to tell this application's control panel whether or not you want you want the pen to act as a pointer or a pen and then even choose the colour! Even worse, if you then pick up a different coloured pen, it is then reset to pointer mode. The Smart Ink application understands the colour of Smart pen you have picked up but doesn't go on and decide you want to annotate with it! C'mon Smart Tech, what are you doing?!?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    I moved some PCs over to SmartTech Notebook and Tools 11 but one of the staff has pointed out that you can no longer just grab a coloured Smart pen,from the pen tray, and annotate over non-native Smart applications, instead you have to fire the Smart Ink application. The problem I have here is that not only to you have to fire the Smart Ink application but you also then need to tell this application's control panel whether or not you want you want the pen to act as a pointer or a pen and then even choose the colour! Even worse, if you then pick up a different coloured pen, it is then reset to pointer mode. The Smart Ink application understands the colour of Smart pen you have picked up but doesn't go on and decide you want to annotate with it! C'mon Smart Tech, what are you doing?!?
    Hmmm that explains what a teacher was complaining about the other day, just moved all ours to 11 and not had chance to play with it yet. Not a good point that. Next school will be staying at v10 then if thats the case! Some of them prefer to use PowerPoint rather than the Smart Notebook.

Thank Post
    have gone back to v10 for mainly this reason, also the fact that v11 is ridiculously processor hungry

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    You need to have SMART Ink loading at startup - check your admin deployment settings (if you've used the MST creation tool)
    I think on ours it does remember the colour of the pen when annotating, will check later on (have you installed SP1?)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys
    I'm going to revisit the deployment tool and check if I've missed anything - I'm seriously considering a roll back!
    Other complaints are: CPU utilisation (exim), indicies format (no longer placed at superscript from old files?!), maths cannot find symbols (maths pack?).
    Regards
    Marty

Thank Post
    When I called our LA support, they said that lots of local schools were having problems with smart 11 and advised rolling back. I think this is one of those releases that is a wrong un. I.e. not just people whingeing because it's new and slightly different.

Thank Post
    Just a follow up from my previous post, the pen colour on annotate mode works fin for me. Did have a ropey moment today showing staff the new activity builder when the program slowed right down when trying to open a file then had some gremlins making the activity work

Thank Post
    I'm also having problems with the tray and pens. On some machines everything works as expected. On others the tray doesn't work at all but the pen does. On others the pen doesn't register as a pen but as a left click. This happens seemingly arbitrarily on XP and Win 7 machines. I'm running 11 with all patches applied on 800 series boards.

The pen acting as a left click is the one that's vexing me at the moment. You have to go into the pen settings and select the pen in order for it to work. This is on Win 7 and an 800 series board.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Why can't Smart ever get this right?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread