+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Sanyo Plc-xu105 powers on then goes to stand by in Technical; I have the xu105 and when I click the power button, the projector runs the fans 3 timesthen goes to ...

Thank Post

Sanyo Plc-xu105 powers on then goes to stand by

I have the xu105 and when I click the power button, the projector runs the fans 3 timesthen goes to a blinking red light. No warning or other indicator lights are present. I,ve tried the thermal reset but that didn't change nothing. I saw some post in another thread that this could be a lamp issue. I don't have another lamp on hand right now but was wondering if it was possible to check the lamp with a multimeter. The only issue is that there are 3 wires not your standard two...

Any help would be appreciated. It's only 4 yrs old so I,m not too excited about giving up on it...
    Last edited by Klim0k; 5th September 2012 at 11:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Sounds like a bulb issue. You can't check most projector bulbs with a multimeter because they don't have a filament. You can usually tell a good bulb from a blown one by looking at it. The insides blow up like a balloon, and get coated with mercury so will look dark grey. A good bulb looks clearer and cleaner than a dead one. How long since the bulb was last changed?

Thank Post
    The bulb was a recent replacement by someone else. It looks clean inside out so that's what Im having trouble with. Unless the bulb is defective of course?

Thank Post
    Its been known to happen. We have similar decisions to make with our projectors. I'm rarely sure what the right choice is. I usually look at the age of the projector, its original brightness and condition etc, and make a best guess. I think your options are:
    1. Try a bulb from an identical projector and test it.
    2. Buy a bulb and take a chance
    3. Pay someone to fix it/test it.
    4. Replace it. The casio projectors (like the Xj-A241) and similar look like good replacements, as there is no bulb or filters to mess with.

It might be a good idea to discuss with your line manager and see what they think.

Edit: Just another thought, have you checked the bulb hours/lamp-life? Some projectors refuse to turn on if the lamp goes above a certain number of hours. If this wasn't reset when the bulb was changed, it could cause symptoms like this. I think on most sanyos, there is a reset button near the input connectors.
    Last edited by Chris_Cook; 6th September 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had the exact same issue with another model of Sanyo.
    Unfortunately I can't remember the exact issue but it wasn't the bulb and required a warranty repair

Thank Post
    Appreciate the responses here. Let's say it's not the lamp, what then? Could it be that one of the electronic boards failed? If so, which one would be most probable? I've already called Sanyo about a repair and they quoted $300+ just to have it looked at. I,m curious to know what the cost of parts is then.

Sparkeh- this might be a long shot but do you have the receipt to see exactly what they replaced?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Klim0k View Post
    Sparkeh- this might be a long shot but do you have the receipt to see exactly what they replaced?
    Just been through the paperwork and they actually just did a straight swap, I don't have it written down what was wrong with it.
    All I remember it that they said verbally it was a major failure, basically it was hosed. Thought I would mention it as the symptoms were the same and it might not be worth persisting in trying to fix it.
    Really sorry I can't be more help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Just been through the paperwork and they actually just did a straight swap, I don't have it written down what was wrong with it.
    All I remember it that they said verbally it was a major failure, basically it was hosed. Thought I would mention it as the symptoms were the same and it might not be worth persisting in trying to fix it.
    Really sorry I can't be more help.
    Thanks for the response.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread