+ Post New Thread
AU General Chat Thread, adsl in australia in Australian (AU) Specific Forums; is it any different technology from the UK? Ive just got adsl2+ installed, and theres no squelch on the phone ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

adsl in australia

is it any different technology from the UK? Ive just got adsl2+ installed, and theres no squelch on the phone when its plugged in without a filter. But whenever the phone is plugged in I lose 4mbit sync. Also, whenever anyone uses the phone the internet drops out.

Is it just a crappy modem theyve given me, or do I need a filter on the phone, or both?

I only ever used netgears back home as found they were superiour so should I just pick up one of them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    You need a microfilter in every phone socket in your home, even if there's nothing else plugged into it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You need a microfilter in every phone socket in your home, even if there's nothing else plugged into it.
    surely not?

I never had this in the UK even before I installed the filtering faceplate on the master socket..

Speaking of which.. Is there such a thing as a Master Socket in this country? The phone sockets here are wierd..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I believe it is recommended a microfilter is installed on every socket. This is the case in the UK and France, so I have no reason to think it would be different in Australia. The socket may be different but I as far as I know telephone systems around the world are very similar in design.

5. Thanks to Michael from:

RabbieBurns (4th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Here in the UK I don't think the old Master/Secondary differential is actully used much any more.
    I'm guessing that whilst the plugs/sockets will be different in Oz the wiring will follow a similar pattern.

The old 3 wire was needed for the AC bell circuits used on the prehistoric handsets.
    Loads of useful UK specific info here
    Sockets that are hardwired in parallel as per diagram will need a filter on each outlet.

Most now only use 2 wires on pins 2&5 as all the ringers are now digital. The AC ring pulse is detected by opto-couplers in the handset which triggers the ring as opposed to driving a bell directly with a 100VAC
    Safety Notice:- Do NOT try stripping the insulation with your teeth in case some pillock decides to call you whilst doing so! It hurts...

If extensions are added using plug in adapters you will actually only need the filter on the first socket.

The splitter/filter is plugged into the 1st socket only, everything else is then fed onwards from this splitter/filter.

If you are hardwired as per diagram and are having DSL sync issues then try removing the 3rd wire connecting pins No3 together across all outlets.

I assume everything in Australia is either upside down or back to front so expect some differences
    If the water goes down the plug the other way do electrons flow the other way too?
    How do you keep the roofs on the houses? surely gravity will lift them off!

7. Thanks to m25man from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hijack who are you with and whats your package details. Internet is so expensive out in oz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I went with AAPT. Unlimited downloads from 8pm till 8am was the best deal I could find. Theres a 20gb limit for all other times, but im at work till 6am-6pm anyway so doesnt affect me. Includes their phone line and stuff and comes with free local calls and calls up to 20 mins to mobiles capped at $1.

its $99 a month, but its a 3 bedroom house-share so we only pay $33 each.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As for the original question, all end devices (phones, faxes, security systems, anything that connects to the phone system) except the modem/router needs to have a filter since the phone tech and adsl travels on different frequencies and the filter filters that out.

You don't need a filter on every outlet, just in-between connected devices and the sockets.

As for master sockets and extra, that sort of depends on the age of the house and it's wiring, basically all properties the connection will come in somewhere and then get spilt at a point somewhere (which doesn't need to a phone point), the newer houses generally use a krone style patch system for spilting the two wires too all the subsequent outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Sorry to hijack who are you with and whats your package details. Internet is so expensive out in oz
    Personally for our phone line were with Telstra, but for the interblag i'm with internode on their easy broadband package which is 50gb p/month for $50.- although uploads are counted =/ but they do have alot of freebies.

11. Thanks to p858snake from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes it is the exact same technology as in the UK, just really bad copper and slightly different wireing.

If I remember correctly the NZ/AU system only uses the two wires. The master socket is dependent on how it was wired when built. Some are wired as a bus type where one cable comes in and visits several locations and others are wired to a central point then all extentions split off.

There are two types of filtering technology avalible, one is a filtered socket in which you have a specific wall socket setup to take the ADSL modem with an embedded filter and all other drops are just normal, this is probably what you had in the UK. This setup is useful/nessisary if you have stuff like a monitered alarm that uses phone system pulses. In NZ this is an extra service that will cost you another $200. It is also nessisary if you have above 4 line sockets as that many phones and filters will drop the sync.

The filter method is the most common and cheapest way where each and every socket has a filter. These filter off the lower bands of sound for use by the phones and stop them leaking ultra high frequency tones into the space used by ADSL. I have encountered phones setup with no filters in some locations before that usually did not disconnect the DSL when used but it depends on the phone and its frequency limitations along with its condidion. The safest setup is with the filters. There are dual port filters that should be used on the port with the modem that have both a DSL and phone port on them, this allows for the modem and a phone to share a port and prevents either one from trespassing one eachothers bands.

Oh and internet is outragously expencive in the souther hemisphere, I pay about $120 a month for 35GB of downloads here and that is one of the better plans. It is to do with the lack of competition in supply from both the ISPs and more importantly backhall provided by the 2 (NZ) or 5 (Australia approx.) cables that connect us to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th January 2010 at 09:35 AM.

13. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    cheers.. I will get another filter.. The thing that threw me was not getting the adsl frequency down the phone when its plugged in unfiltered.

Ive got the Modem and switch in my room coz im the residential geek with all the network attached gadgets, but weve put the phone in the kitchen. So i guess if i just slap on another filter in the kitchen should sort it.

And yeh, this plan Im on seems pretty good for this part of the world. Unlimited that actually means unlimited for 12 hrs the day is plenty for me. And its plenty fast enough too. Can sit on slingplayer and watch UKSky+ all night

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Oh and internet is outragously expencive in the souther hemisphere, I pay about $120 a month for 35GB of downloads here and that is one of the better plans. It is to do with the lack of competition in supply from both the ISPs and more importantly backhall provided by the 2 (NZ) or 5 (Australia approx.) cables that connect us to the rest of the world.
    And the fact that for example in australia one company owns almost all the telecommunication wiring infrastructure *sakes fist*

We (Aus) have 4 (2 of them passes though smaller areas, 1 to NZ and one to somewhere else), as well as stat connection (done by Telstra), they don't all run at full capacity though (and iirc one of them isn't in use at all yet)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK i installed a filter on the socket that had the phone, and now the disconnections when the phone is used have stopped. And the line sync has increased to 13mb. The crappy speedtouch still loses connection about once a day, so will look to get a decent adsl modem like the netgear dg834gt. But for now, it seems fine. Thanks all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread