+ Post New Thread
AU General Chat Thread, Australian NBN - made by fed government.goodbye telstra? in Australian (AU) Specific Forums; So the fed government has stopped all the b.s-ing and said enough is enough. With speeds UP to 100mb over ...
    Thank Post

Australian NBN - made by fed government.goodbye telstra?

So the fed government has stopped all the b.s-ing and said enough is enough.

With speeds UP to 100mb over the next 8 years. Does this sound extremely short sighted to anyone else but me? I am glad they had stopped all the tendering crap and will get a riggle on.

With our compatriots in the UK enjoying in some cases 1GB internet access now, 100mb across 8 years sounds extremely backwards!

But before k-rudd reads this and pulls the plug - im happy were atleast going this way.

Thank Post
    1GB is very unusual in the UK. We're on 8 at the moment (with some contention), and will be upped to 35GB (with almost no contention) in the middle of next year.

Thank Post
    i was under the impression that an entire county or group of schools were under the 1gb umbrella ... ill search the post where i read this

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most RBCs (regional broadband consortia) will have at least a 1GB backbone, with the odd 10 gig link in there too. These are based around the use of MANs and LGfL has some of the best connections in there.

Most primary schools will be on 2 meg, and secondaries range from 4 to 100 meg, but tend to be around 10 meg (a convenient circuit type to have!)

More information can be found via the NEN.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    from what i saw on the news today, this is a plan to offer 100mbit fiber to the home for almost all of australia. There is nothing like that at all in the UK. 8 - 24 mbit adsl is the best any consumer in the UK can get, with Virgin offering crappy capped cable on their cable network (which is pretty much only available in cities)

I think its brilliant the au gov is taking the bull by the horns and putting the infrastructure in place.

The UK just bought some stupid aircraft carrier for however many billion pounds. It would have cost them less to run fiber to ever house in the UK.

Ive no idea what high speeds are available on JANET etc for .edu.uk, as i was in a private school and had to make do with 8meg adsl.

Thank Post
    ahhhh i see - i was confused. but either way a good thing for us in the "broadband backwaters" of OZ.

for thoes who dont know we have a fairly ridiculous monopoly on the nations network infrastructure via the telco telstra. The government deciding to create its own network and *totally* (i think) avoid this current network should create some waves in general.

Exciting times!
    Last edited by amfony; 7th April 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    from slashdot: Slashdot | Australia To Build Fiber-To-the-Premises Network

The Australian PM, Kevin Rudd, has just announced that none of the private sector submissions to build a National Broadband Network was up to the standard, so instead the government is going to form a private company to build a fiber to the premises network. The network will connect to 90% of premises delivering 100Mb/s. The remaining 10% will be reached with wireless and satellite delivering up to 12Mb/s. The network cost has been estimated at 43 billion AU dollars over 8 years of construction — and is expected to employ 47,000 people at peak.
    Although what its doing, is pretty much what the Uk did however many years ago. Put the infrastructure in place, then sell it off (BT). Now BT own all the infrastructure that the taxpayers paid for originally back in the day, and are reluctant to do anything more.

As long as the 100mbit home broadband doesnt come with a 100megabyte monthly cap ;p

Also wonder what kind of pipes connect .au with the rest of the world, if everyone in the country is gonna be leeching @ 100mb/s heh

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The UK should start to look at rolling fiber more widely and currently Virgin Media do and I believe BT will to around 10 million homes in years to come.

Alternatively (and in the meantime), fiber could be installed in every street running the existing copper infrastructure at very short distances. Decent speed can be achieved at this level.

I also remember reading somewhere (and I believe it was an Australian University Student) who managed to develop a technique which allowed 100Mbps or more over existing copper. A quick Google and I found it again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BTs 21C stuff i believe is replacing the copper to the cabinet in the street with fiber, but only to the cabinet. It will still use the crappy copper from the cabinet to each house. It also changes it to packet switched, (ethernet?). I dont see why they cant just go the whole hog and fiber it to each house. Or even offer it as an upgrade for those of us who can afford / want it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    @RabbieBurns:
    Yes this is true but BTs 21century network will not support IPV6!!
    They are so backward in this country at times.
    South Korea are the worlds leaders in fibre to the door they have all homes connected to 100Mb and have loads of free internet access wirelessly all around the cities and towns.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amfony View Post
    So the fed government has stopped all the b.s-ing and said enough is enough.

With speeds UP to 100mb over the next 8 years. Does this sound extremely short sighted to anyone else but me? I am glad they had stopped all the tendering crap and will get a riggle on.

With our compatriots in the UK enjoying in some cases 1GB internet access now, 100mb across 8 years sounds extremely backwards!

But before k-rudd reads this and pulls the plug - im happy were atleast going this way.
    I'm on an NBN myth-busting spew today! To keep it short and frank, the NBN is a farce. Emperor has no clothes, etc. etc. Imagine any failed IT rollout by any government anywhere, slap about 3 extra zeros on the end of it and - that's the NBN.

It was a farce under Labour, and it will continue to be a farce probably forever unless someone takes it by the 00's and fixes it. It's possible that by about 2040 we might have half of Australia connected after spending $100,000,000,000 - and then they will decide to can the rest of the project because the technology will be nearing obsolescence and need to be upgraded across the entire infrastructure at the cost of another $100,000,000,000.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    cant believe so many of you daft aussies voted for Abbot.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread